GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The problem is, when the Polo gets its mid life facelift (probably next year?), the bean counters within VW ivory towers will be looking to cut costs, so it’ll probably get an interior like the mk8 Golf, complete with the touchscreen overload!

I think that because the all-electric ID3 and the mk8 Golf were being developed at the same time, with all electric cars becoming an increasingly important market for car manufacturers, the ID3 probably had a significantly larger development budget than the mk8 Golf, and in certain areas (interior), IMO it shows.

If the future is all-electric (some countries banning the sale of petrol, diesel and hybrid cars in 10-15 years time), what does that mean for the future of the Golf?

Will there be an all electric Golf? Unlikely IMO as it would be a direct competitor to the ID3. Which leads on to the question, will there be a mk9 Golf? Interesting times ahead.................
The ID3 would probably disappear and the golf would become all electric, or in simple terms the ID3 would be badged golf.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volks...wagen-id3-r-to-feature-idr-battery-technology

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
If only the mk8 Golf had looked more like the rendering of the ID3 R in the link posted by @Carlosfandang0

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I think we may be jumping the thread, for which I apologize, but FWIW, I, too, prefer the look of VW's ID.3 to the Mk8.

And, for that matter, why the hell VoA isn't planning to import the ID.3 is lost on me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think we may be jumping the thread, for which I apologize, but FWIW, I, too, prefer the look of VW's ID.3 to the Mk8.

And, for that matter, why the hell VoA isn't planning to import the ID.3 is lost on me.

Perhaps it's because the cost to certify and crash test it for the US isn't cost efficient for what would be low volume sales.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI

How's it lost on you? As of right now hatches in general haven't been a big seller, if it was a cuv or suv i could see them bringing it over but for now it's gonna be a long wait

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Not sure how the steering wheel actually got worse from mk7 to mk8. Glad I'm only at 22k miles, looks like I'll be driving the mk7 to 100k.

Last edited:

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
The new GTI was revealed today.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127270_review-2021-volkswagen-golf-gti-price-photos-specs-info
This should help the resale values of the Mk 7's!

That thing is hideous, and it looks cheap as hell. It's like some kind of Walmart special off-brand toy up front with a dollar store LED array flashlight on each side.

As well, any German manufacturer releasing those wheels in 2020 has some gigantic balls. It's going to piss people off, and then all the hippies will be pressuring wheel manufacturers about design.

They need to think about that sort of thing. Anyone looking at those knows they're courting controversy.

Everything inside looks cheap, as well. The steering wheel alone is fifteen steps behind what I've got in my 7.5 right now. It's just some disjointed, half-baked mess of a modern art project in there. Reminds me of the sort of coach-class nonsense you'd expect out of Mitsubishi; the forgotten manufacturer of automobiles that, for some unfathomable reason hasn't completely rotted just yet...

...except, Mitsubishi stuff actually has a bit more class. Never thought I'd say that.

The controls inside look like the extra features on a $32 Chinese gaming keyboard from 2006.

Last edited:

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Even the digital cluster is :sick:

I think I had that imitation Thermaltake fan controller/temperature monitor in a Raidmax case in 2003...

bf2e75a7-f1d0-49d7-a2ca-4acd8eeca05c.jpg

Wait... I mean that "gauge cluster".

Then we've got that first-gen Motorola Razr headlight touch panel...

razr-h-625x300.jpg
\

...seriously. Go look at that touch panel again. I'd go so far as to say whoever owns Motorola today might actually be able to file a lawsuit over that.

Saitek? Is that you designing interiors for VW now?

ST-103024_1094840463_o.jpg

volkswagen-golf_100737547_h.jpg

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I don't understand what is so controversial about the wheels.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I suppose at least the left foot footrest has been upgraded from grey plastic to match the other foot pedals now.
8BDA6A46-1693-494E-B5A5-E749CA693277.jpeg

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
So now even the steering wheel controls are touch sensitive...even worse than the standard Golf which has physical buttons.