GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
That middle section of the front bumper on the mk8 Golf in R Line trim in this YouTube video is very similar to the one in the render of the Golf R.

In the video, the car has a show plate fitted that’s the same size as a Euro licence plate (ignore the fact that the plate’s not level ?). The section of the R Line bumper that the plate‘s fixed to is also narrower than the licence plate, causing the bottom edge of the licence plate to protrude into the top edge of the lower grille.

So there’s a good chance the middle section of the front bumper in the render of the R is an accurate representation of what the production model.
Can’t be sure, but it looks to me that there is a gloss black section of the front bumper that runs across the width just below the plate, this seems to give the impression that the plate overhangs when it might not! Also is that touch controls on the steering wheel?? Hope not!! There’s not writing or icons on there though so may just be blanks..

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Can’t be sure, but it looks to me that there is a gloss black section of the front bumper that runs across the width just below the plate, this seems to give the impression that the plate overhangs when it might not! Also is that touch controls on the steering wheel?? Hope not!! There’s not writing or icons on there though so may just be blanks..
I’d also hope that VW haven’t gone completely touch pad mad, and they will at least have retained the buttons on the steering wheel!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
even the seatbelts and horn are touchpad

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
To make matters worse, VW probably found the cheapest, cheesiest touchpad manufacturer to source this crap from, ensuring poor reliability and copious warranty claims. Probably built in a firecracker factory in Macau.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
To make matters worse, VW probably found the cheapest, cheesiest touchpad manufacturer to source this crap from, ensuring poor reliability and copious warranty claims. Probably built in a firecracker factory in Macau.
Why would you think that would be the case? Most VAG group parts are EU built. (On European cars at least!)

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Why would you think that would be the case? Most VAG group parts are EU built. (On European cars at least!)

Because of Dieselgate and general cost cutting that VW is famous for. First obvious hint: prop rod for the hood. Some bean counter didn't want to pay for a freaking strut. Time will tell what else might be lurking.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Not liking the interior ?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
golf_r_demask.png

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Looks like has a fat upper lip and all its teeth were knocked out.

View attachment 165603
It does doesn’t it! Although when viewed in person the black parts will appear more pronounced I’d have thought and it won’t look so strange, plus we’re unlikely to be getting the design quite right.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I think the exterior will be fine to the vast majority of observers, as usually winds up being the case. "Oh I finally saw it up close and it looks SO much better in the flesh!" will be a common refrain.

Not so for the interior. Whatever charm comes from the "modern" controls and styling will quickly wear off as soon as someone has to actually attempt to operate this crap. It's an unmitigated disaster and I predict will have to be addressed soon when they do a facelift, probably sooner than they want to have to do it. Customers gonna be enraged.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I think the exterior will be fine to the vast majority of observers, as usually winds up being the case. "Oh I finally saw it up close and it looks SO much better in the flesh!" will be a common refrain.

Not so for the interior. Whatever charm comes from the "modern" controls and styling will quickly wear off as soon as someone has to actually attempt to operate this crap. It's an unmitigated disaster and I predict will have to be addressed soon when they do a facelift, probably sooner than they want to have to do it. Customers gonna be enraged.
I’m really struggling to like the way it looks, and so far, I’m sad to say I don’t. I liked the mk7 from the outset and thought the mk7.5 facelift brought the looks nicely up to date. IMO, the mk8’s styling represents a backward step. I’m sure we’ll soon get used to it though, and it’ll no doubt sell well in VW’s core markets, because it’s a Golf.

I’m with you 100% on the interior. I think it looks cheaper and lower quality than the mk7 and mk7.5 - not helped by replacing the conventional switchgear with cheap touchscreens. When I bought my first VW back in 2002 (a mk4 Golf), the interior felt quite premium compared to many other mainstream car manufacturers products at the time. IMO, the same can’t be said of the mk8 Golf’s interior.

I’ve watched quite a few mk8 Golf review videos on YouTube, and some of the reviewers have commented on many aspects of the interior representing a backwards step, and the controls being less user friendly and less easy to use on the move.

As others have said, maybe the mk8.5 will be the Golf that the mk8 should’ve been.