GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Discs are too small for the new R.

The new R discs are bigger than 340mm obviously..I was just pointing out the calipers are twin piston & blue like the old Mk4 R32....which happened to run with 334mm discs...

Doubt you would get 17" alloys over those Mk8 discs.....defo bigger than 345mm

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
The ones on the Golf R are two piston sliders, not four piston fixed calipers.
Fak meant to write 2. You're right. So the new R is using the two piston calipers from the Atlas. I am kinda suprised nobody has thought of putting atlas calipers on a gti/r. It should be plug and play. They are a lot cheaper than the tts calipers.

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Fak meant to write 2. You're right. So the new R is using the two piston calipers from the Atlas. I am kinda suprised nobody has thought of putting atlas calipers on a gti/r. It should be plug and play. They are a lot cheaper than the tts calipers.

How much do they weigh?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

Why not just run the Macan or Q5 four piston at that point? I know I said earlier that a proper two piston sliding setup can rival a fixed four piston setup, but if I'm changing from one piston sliders, I'd just as soon go with the Macan setup since pads are easier to replace and performance pads are more readily available.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Why not just run the Macan or Q5 four piston at that point? I know I said earlier that a proper two piston sliding setup can rival a fixed four piston setup, but if I'm changing from one piston sliders, I'd just as soon go with the Macan setup since pads are easier to replace and performance pads are more readily available.

This is what I don't get. The parts already exist. Instead of designing the brakes around the Atlas or whatever the pirated them from, just put the Macan/Q5 Brembo brakes on.

While it likely doesn't make an actual difference in performance, the fixed pistons look better, and just about every competitor has them already.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
You probably don't need to run spacers with the atlas calipers if you have oem wheels. It might be a good and relatively inexpensive upgrade for someone with non pp/r brakes and stock vw wheels.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I am kinda suprised nobody has thought of putting atlas calipers on a gti/r. It should be plug and play. They are a lot cheaper than the tts calipers.

This is what I don't get. The parts already exist. Instead of designing the brakes around the Atlas or whatever the pirated them from, just put the Macan/Q5 Brembo brakes on.

Wish carrying over caliper across platforms is that easy. NVH validation is the biggest nightmare in the above mentioned scenarios. One small change in any related chassis component say knuckle, restarts NVH validation all over again.

There are instances where carryover projects have taken up more resources than developing a brand new caliper.

Last edited:

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I saw this today, it's unofficial, but it's a little intriguing:

volkswagen-golf-8-r-rendering.jpg

They tried to combine the details from the spy shots and the leaked MK8 roadmap slideshow, and it's fairly accurate to those.

This looks really good to me, despite the popular opinion on here. I think the fact that the grill extends a little further down helps out the headlight situation.

I'd buy this in a couple of years if it looks like this.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I saw this today, it's unofficial, but it's a little intriguing:

View attachment 165459

They tried to combine the details from the spy shots and the leaked MK8 roadmap slideshow, and it's fairly accurate to those.

This looks really good to me, despite the popular opinion on here. I think the fact that the grill extends a little further down helps out the headlight situation.

I'd buy this in a couple of years if it looks like this.

Amazing how much that extension of the grill does away with the sleepy/droopy eyed look.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The huge problem I have with the render above is the license plate - the way the bumper is designed, a euro plate (which MUST be displayed over there) is bigger than the center section of the bumper, causing it to protrude awkwardly with no "fix" in sight. I suspect the render is inaccurate in that area - can't believe the car would ship this way. We should find out soon enough.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The huge problem I have with the render above is the license plate - the way the bumper is designed, a euro plate (which MUST be displayed over there) is bigger than the center section of the bumper, causing it to protrude awkwardly with no "fix" in sight. I suspect the render is inaccurate in that area - can't believe the car would ship this way. We should find out soon enough.
That middle section of the front bumper on the mk8 Golf in R Line trim in this YouTube video is very similar to the one in the render of the Golf R.

In the video, the car has a show plate fitted that’s the same size as a Euro licence plate (ignore the fact that the plate’s not level ?). The section of the R Line bumper that the plate‘s fixed to is also narrower than the licence plate, causing the bottom edge of the licence plate to protrude into the top edge of the lower grille.

So there’s a good chance the middle section of the front bumper in the render of the R is an accurate representation of what the production model.