GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Every time there is a new model of any car, the enthusiasts from the previous gens always say the same shit...lol

I never owned a Mk6, but I've owned two Mk7 and I still think the Mk6 is better looking. The shoulder line just looks better than the slab side. And the Mk8 is getting it back, so I'm good, I'll get one soon enough, and if they've upgraded the stock clutch, I'll get one as soon as possible.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
First, thanks MIKE PP for the post.

I've said this before, but (IMHO) it's worth repeating: Criticism of the Mk8's appearance reminds me of comments prevalent in 1967 when VW replaced the bug's sloped headlight design with upright, sealed beam units. You'd had thought the world had shifted on its axis. See, for example, https://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/KnowledgeLibrary/exterior/Know-Your-VW-Headlights.

The design change is just not that significant in the scheme of all things Volkswagen. And then there's the fact these cars have always looked like a breadbox anyhow. The forthcoming R certainly looks better than I expected.

It's not going to age well, though. It's shaped like a Volkswagen, but if I pulled that badge off and called it a Hyundai... Face it; nobody would know the difference. It's excitingly bland.

I think there's a hiccup in the design, and I'm certainly not a Golf enthusiast.

They went complex when they should have gone clean; it's starting to look like the Sirocco in overall proportion, but without the cool factor.

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf R.
If you look back at the comments made when the 7.5 Golf R was introduced, the same kind of disapproval was shown then. When more of them are on the road and they become familiar we will all want one!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Some quick and dirty MS Paint work.

Quick removal of some vinyl.

Possibly more vinyl camouflage removed.

The thing I dislike the most about the MK8 is the odd shape under the headlamps, it definitely looks better with a clean line beneath.

UDkg1cG.jpg

Missed the strip along the bottom

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It's actually looking better lol

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
If they'd just fix the underside of those headlights, it'd look really good.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Curious to know why another mk8 thread that’s now on its third page isn’t on the mk8 forum board ?.

IMO, the mk7 and mk7.5 R are better looking than the mk8, with or without it wearing its thin disguise.

I agree, new models do tend to provoke quite a lot of negativity amongst owners of the outgoing model. However, I liked the mk7 from the outset, but sadly I just don’t like what VW has done with the mk8 in general. Admittedly, the external visual changes are small, but IMO they’ve managed to make what was a very good looking car in the mk7/mk7.5 into something quite ugly and awkward looking. If the mk8 was a child, IMO it has the looks that only a mother could love!

Aside from a likely power upgrade in the R, I don’t think it has much going for it over the mk7.5. The R will get basically the same interior and all its touchscreens as the non performance Golfs. IMO that’s a clear case of VW putting cost cutting ahead of safety and is a step too far; why replace easy to use conventional interior controls for basic functions like lighting and heating/ventilating with cheap touchscreens that are distracting and potentially dangerous to use while on the move? It’s illegal to use a hand held mobile phone whilst driving in many countries because to do so diverts their driver’s attention away from concentrating on driving; why do VW and other car manufacturers think it’s should it be any safer to use car touchscreens?

I’m sure the new R will drive and handle well, but for me, I need to like the way a car looks, and to be comfortable with the driver environment inside the cabin if I’m going to buy one.

Maybe the mk8.5 will be the one to go for, assuming VW haven’t killed off the Golf by then to focus on the ID3 and other all-electric models.

All very subjective and just my opinion though, and it’s good we don’t all like the same things, otherwise life would be very boring.

Last edited:

MIKE PP.

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf R.
I posted on this forum because I thought that it would get more views. I posted a thread about a possible MK.8 R shown in South Africa in a November article. It didn't get a reply until Tuesday