GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

SRGTD

Ready to race!
Curious to know why another mk8 thread that’s now on its third page isn’t on the mk8 forum board 🤔.

IMO, the mk7 and mk7.5 R are better looking than the mk8, with or without it wearing its thin disguise.

I agree, new models do tend to provoke quite a lot of negativity amongst owners of the outgoing model. However, I liked the mk7 from the outset, but sadly I just don’t like what VW has done with the mk8 in general. Admittedly, the external visual changes are small, but IMO they’ve managed to make what was a very good looking car in the mk7/mk7.5 into something quite ugly and awkward looking. If the mk8 was a child, IMO it has the looks that only a mother could love!

Aside from a likely power upgrade in the R, I don’t think it has much going for it over the mk7.5. The R will get basically the same interior and all its touchscreens as the non performance Golfs. IMO that’s a clear case of VW putting cost cutting ahead of safety and is a step too far; why replace easy to use conventional interior controls for basic functions like lighting and heating/ventilating with cheap touchscreens that are distracting and potentially dangerous to use while on the move? It’s illegal to use a hand held mobile phone whilst driving in many countries because to do so diverts their driver’s attention away from concentrating on driving; why do VW and other car manufacturers think it’s should it be any safer to use car touchscreens?

I’m sure the new R will drive and handle well, but for me, I need to like the way a car looks, and to be comfortable with the driver environment inside the cabin if I’m going to buy one.

Maybe the mk8.5 will be the one to go for, assuming VW haven’t killed off the Golf by then to focus on the ID3 and other all-electric models.

All very subjective and just my opinion though, and it’s good we don’t all like the same things, otherwise life would be very boring.

Last edited:

MIKE PP.

Ready to race!
I posted on this forum because I thought that it would get more views. I posted a thread about a possible MK.8 R shown in South Africa in a November article. It didn't get a reply until Tuesday

golfdave

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
MK7 Golf GT Estate
Discs are too small for the new R.
The new R discs are bigger than 340mm obviously..I was just pointing out the calipers are twin piston & blue like the old Mk4 R32....which happened to run with 334mm discs...

Doubt you would get 17" alloys over those Mk8 discs.....defo bigger than 345mm

dcgtimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
The ones on the Golf R are two piston sliders, not four piston fixed calipers.
Fak meant to write 2. You're right. So the new R is using the two piston calipers from the Atlas. I am kinda suprised nobody has thought of putting atlas calipers on a gti/r. It should be plug and play. They are a lot cheaper than the tts calipers.

Mother

Ready to race!
Fak meant to write 2. You're right. So the new R is using the two piston calipers from the Atlas. I am kinda suprised nobody has thought of putting atlas calipers on a gti/r. It should be plug and play. They are a lot cheaper than the tts calipers.
How much do they weigh?

bentin

Passed Driver's Ed
Ride
2018 GTI SE
Why not just run the Macan or Q5 four piston at that point? I know I said earlier that a proper two piston sliding setup can rival a fixed four piston setup, but if I'm changing from one piston sliders, I'd just as soon go with the Macan setup since pads are easier to replace and performance pads are more readily available.

Charlotte.:R

Ready to race!
Ride
'18 Golf R 6MT
Why not just run the Macan or Q5 four piston at that point? I know I said earlier that a proper two piston sliding setup can rival a fixed four piston setup, but if I'm changing from one piston sliders, I'd just as soon go with the Macan setup since pads are easier to replace and performance pads are more readily available.
This is what I don't get. The parts already exist. Instead of designing the brakes around the Atlas or whatever the pirated them from, just put the Macan/Q5 Brembo brakes on.

While it likely doesn't make an actual difference in performance, the fixed pistons look better, and just about every competitor has them already.

dcgtimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
You probably don't need to run spacers with the atlas calipers if you have oem wheels. It might be a good and relatively inexpensive upgrade for someone with non pp/r brakes and stock vw wheels.

Last edited:

vj123

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
2019 GTI Rabbit
I am kinda suprised nobody has thought of putting atlas calipers on a gti/r. It should be plug and play. They are a lot cheaper than the tts calipers.
This is what I don't get. The parts already exist. Instead of designing the brakes around the Atlas or whatever the pirated them from, just put the Macan/Q5 Brembo brakes on.
Wish carrying over caliper across platforms is that easy. NVH validation is the biggest nightmare in the above mentioned scenarios. One small change in any related chassis component say knuckle, restarts NVH validation all over again.

There are instances where carryover projects have taken up more resources than developing a brand new caliper.

Last edited:

It's Sam

Go Kart Newbie
Ride
2017 GTI SE
I saw this today, it's unofficial, but it's a little intriguing:

volkswagen-golf-8-r-rendering.jpg

They tried to combine the details from the spy shots and the leaked MK8 roadmap slideshow, and it's fairly accurate to those.

This looks really good to me, despite the popular opinion on here. I think the fact that the grill extends a little further down helps out the headlight situation.

I'd buy this in a couple of years if it looks like this.

ElectricEye

Drag Race Newbie
I saw this today, it's unofficial, but it's a little intriguing:

View attachment 165459

They tried to combine the details from the spy shots and the leaked MK8 roadmap slideshow, and it's fairly accurate to those.

This looks really good to me, despite the popular opinion on here. I think the fact that the grill extends a little further down helps out the headlight situation.

I'd buy this in a couple of years if it looks like this.
Amazing how much that extension of the grill does away with the sleepy/droopy eyed look.

KevinC

Drag Racing Champion
The huge problem I have with the render above is the license plate - the way the bumper is designed, a euro plate (which MUST be displayed over there) is bigger than the center section of the bumper, causing it to protrude awkwardly with no "fix" in sight. I suspect the render is inaccurate in that area - can't believe the car would ship this way. We should find out soon enough.

SRGTD

Ready to race!
The huge problem I have with the render above is the license plate - the way the bumper is designed, a euro plate (which MUST be displayed over there) is bigger than the center section of the bumper, causing it to protrude awkwardly with no "fix" in sight. I suspect the render is inaccurate in that area - can't believe the car would ship this way. We should find out soon enough.
That middle section of the front bumper on the mk8 Golf in R Line trim in this YouTube video is very similar to the one in the render of the Golf R.

In the video, the car has a show plate fitted that’s the same size as a Euro licence plate (ignore the fact that the plate’s not level 😁). The section of the R Line bumper that the plate‘s fixed to is also narrower than the licence plate, causing the bottom edge of the licence plate to protrude into the top edge of the lower grille.

So there’s a good chance the middle section of the front bumper in the render of the R is an accurate representation of what the production model.