GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 revealed.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I will withhold judgment fully until I see one in person, but if the interior controls are as bad as the YouTube reviews make it seem........... I will wait for the MK8.5R with some physical controls. The response on like the AC sliders looks just terrible and distracting to the driving experience.

More power is for sure good though! I honestly don't hate the exterior, not a fan of the wheels in those pictures though.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
@greekspec2; that’s an R-Line, which is an R wannabe or imitator.

The R-Line model in the UK in the outgoing mk7.5 Golf model range had similar looks to the R, but much less power - engine choices were a 1.5 litre 150ps petrol engine or two diesel options - 1.6 115ps and 2.0 litre 150ps.

We got a sneak peek earlier this year of what appears to be the the front end of the mk8 R in the picture in post #5 in the thread at the link below - the R is on the far right of the picture;

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2020-golf-r-8-spotted.371510/
I know I better working for Audi AG

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Everyone who though the rear end looked like the Tiguan was not wrong.
But now, look at the FRONT end of the redesigned 2022 Tiguan lol

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Super happy I bought my Mk7.5 6MT. I hate the interior of the Mk8, I like buttons/knobs for controls in a car. I also wanted a 6MT, so win there. Remember the Mk7.5 in the EU came with 310hp and we got shafted with 288-292hp. Chances are we're not going to get the full sauce 329hp Mk8 either, maybe 305hp? So a very small bump in power.

How is this a win? Worse interior controls functionally, no 6MT option, barely any power bump, no recaro seats, no 4 piston front brake calipers etc...

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Everyone who though the rear end looked like the Tiguan was not wrong.
But now, look at the FRONT end of the redesigned 2022 Tiguan lol

IMO that‘s a mich more successful front end design than the one we see on the mk8 Golf. The headlights are similar, but the outer section of the headlamp unit doesn’t ‘droop’ down like it does on the Golf. Also, the Tiguan’s deeper upper bumper looks much better than the narrow one on the Golf - IMO.

It’ll be interesting to see if the mk8.5 Golf gets any of the front end styling cues from the Tiguan when it gets its mid-life facelift.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I really like VW's design. Subtle lines and just simply good looking.

I never liked wavy lines on a car.. the trend Hyundai started long time ago where their artist just could not put down his clay tool.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
How is this a win? Worse interior controls functionally, no 6MT option, barely any power bump, no recaro seats, no 4 piston front brake calipers etc...

This is where I'm at. I could live with the exterior design, but I'm disappointed in the interior controls and the lack of a 6MT and fixed piston brakes.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
It looks identical to the Toyota IM

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Super happy I bought my Mk7.5 6MT. I hate the interior of the Mk8, I like buttons/knobs for controls in a car. I also wanted a 6MT, so win there. Remember the Mk7.5 in the EU came with 310hp and we got shafted with 288-292hp. Chances are we're not going to get the full sauce 329hp Mk8 either, maybe 305hp? So a very small bump in power.
I still don't get that. American's don't want high-powered cars??? Hasn't VW seen all the high-powered cars on our roads??? 700hp Grand Cherokees for crying out loud. Give us the high-powered Golf!

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Honestly, you just can't tell Germans much of anything. And I love them for that (and I enjoy spending time in their country!) ... but they make decisions, and right or wrong, do the thing.

I still don't get that. American's don't want high-powered cars??? Hasn't VW seen all the high-powered cars on our roads??? 700hp Grand Cherokees for crying out loud. Give us the high-powered Golf!