GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 VW Tiguan

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
My wife traded her 2013 Sienna SE for a 2019 Tiguan SEL R-Line 4Motion. Bit smaller, but she likes that it handles easier and it has the 4Motion in case we end up back in Colorado (the SE version Sienna didn't offer AWD in 2013).

Ours has the third row. At 6'2" I can sit there, but I'm nearly doing a split. Definitely just for the smaller kiddos and/or pets without crates (unless small).

As for power, it's no GTI if that's what you want. It does have enough. Less than the pre-2018 in hp, but more torque. My wife gets skittish with too much power (she was a bit nervous in a 2015 GLI) so it's perfect for her. To me the Eco mode bogs it too much but she likes that one. Sport mode is sporty enough to move better, but you're not going to win races. It does have a pronounced 'pedal pause' I don't like and will likely be getting her a Pedal Commander to help get rid of it.

The third row option can technically seat 8, and we've packed in 6 including 2 car seats comfortably enough (myself, 5'8" wife, 5'9" daughter, 5'-maybe mother-in-law, and a 4 & 6 year old almost as tall as grandma). Long road trips still have to be tested.

My wife also loves the larger sunroof vs. her Sienna. I'm concerned about possible leaks, fingers crossed.

It's no Jeep, but the 4Motion did ride pretty smoothly doing about 40 down a muddy, bumpy farm road. Rode a lot better than the Sienna on the same spot. They had to wash it again after we got back.

With the third row down we have almost as much room in back as the Sienna. And not horrible with the third row up considering the Sienna lost a fair bit then as well. With the seat down there's room for two small/medium dog crates, a large suitcase, 2 smaller suitcases, a couple duffel bags, couple backpacks (one a laptop bag), dog food container, and various miscellaneous.

The floor in the third row one is odd-shaped, I'll give it that. But at least that odd shape helps stash the privacy screen if not in use.

Overall so far my wife loves it almost as much as she did her Sienna, and prefers it with the 4Motion. And she loves the look of it with the R-Line package.

Ours was MSRP'd around $37k in Cali, think we got it for around $34K? So not too bad there either considering. Not a stellar deal, but ok.

Mileage so far if memory serves on hers is averaging about 24 MPG. She can be down around 21 on base (my GTI suffers there too) but gets around the 27 mark on the highway. Better than her van got, and not nearly as miserable as the Atlas is advertised with the V6.

One dislike I have is they put the LED taillights on this one but it has halogen headlights. Only the SEL Premium gets the LED headlights. Maybe I'll shoot for replicas later if they have them, but overall she doesn't mind it.

Also Chipwerke does offer a piggyback for it as well if shopping those. Not competitive with a full tune (which I imagine there will be least one or two at some point), but if it's like mine it's still worth some extra HP/torque and a lower cost.

My wife had a requirement for AWD and a third row in any replacement for her minivan, hence why we didn't go with the Mazda or most of the others. The only exception she'd make is for an Evoque. [emoji14] The other option for her was a Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport (or whatever the mid-level SR5 trim is). This one was cheaper, smaller yet fits, and looks better to her.

There are some group pages for it on FB, and some have already started changing out suspension and other things such as lowering and intakes, etc. While I don't see it being quite as tunable as its predecessor there is some potential.

Last edited:

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
My wife has a '17 Tig and the lease is up later in the year.
We fully plan on getting another Tiguan (maybe an Atlas).
I think they used to be a little over priced but starting with the new model I think they are more in line.
The sticker on her current Tiguan was right around $30k and it really does not have much in terms of features.
The new Tiguan SEL (the one we would get) has a sticker that is just over $31k and has digital dash, auto climate, remote start, power lift gate, adaptive cruise control and parking sensors.
So in other words, a crazy amount of tech over our current 2017.
Seems like a lot of good features for that price range.
Although I have not really crossed shopped.

SEL and up does have a fair bit of tech. The digital dash is sparkly, but after that wore off I'm kind of glad it's not in the GTI. A lot of graphics that don't add much, although some customization is nice. But my Ram had a less flashy one I could do more with. I'm happy with the GTIs. I wouldn't mind the 8" stereo setup but mine does ok. The automatic climate control is one thing I would like better in my GTI with constant fog/cool/warm all in a day in this area. Not a fan of the power lift gate, it's too slow for me. I prefer to be able to manually close it but this one doesn't really let you. My wife likes it, all that matters in our case. Ours was only pricier because of the R-Line and 4Motion.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
My wife traded her 2013 Sienna SE for a 2019 Tiguan SEL R-Line 4Motion. Bit smaller, but she likes that it handles easier and it has the 4Motion in case we end up back in Colorado (the SE version Sienna didn't offer AWD in 2013).

Ours has the third row. At 6'2" I can sit there, but I'm nearly doing a split. Definitely just for the smaller kiddos and/or pets without crates (unless small).

As for power, it's no GTI if that's what you want. It does have enough. Less than the pre-2018 in hp, but more torque. My wife gets skittish with too much power (she was a bit nervous in a 2015 GLI) so it's perfect for her. To me the Eco mode bogs it too much but she likes that one. Sport mode is sporty enough to move better, but you're not going to win races. It does have a pronounced 'pedal pause' I don't like and will likely be getting her a Pedal Commander to help get rid of it.

The third row option can technically seat 8, and we've packed in 6 including 2 car seats comfortably enough (myself, 5'8" wife, 5'9" daughter, 5'-maybe mother-in-law, and a 4 & 6 year old almost as tall as grandma). Long road trips still have to be tested.

My wife also loves the larger sunroof vs. her Sienna. I'm concerned about possible leaks, fingers crossed.

It's no Jeep, but the 4Motion did ride pretty smoothly doing about 40 down a muddy, bumpy farm road. Rode a lot better than the Sienna on the same spot. They had to wash it again after we got back.

With the third row down we have almost as much room in back as the Sienna. And not horrible with the third row up considering the Sienna lost a fair bit then as well. With the seat down there's room for two small/medium dog crates, a large suitcase, 2 smaller suitcases, a couple duffel bags, couple backpacks (one a laptop bag), dog food container, and various miscellaneous.

The floor in the third row one is odd-shaped, I'll give it that. But at least that odd shape helps stash the privacy screen if not in use.

Overall so far my wife loves it almost as much as she did her Sienna, and prefers it with the 4Motion. And she loves the look of it with the R-Line package.

Ours was MSRP'd around $37k in Cali, think we got it for around $34K? So not too bad there either considering. Not a stellar deal, but ok.

Mileage so far if memory serves on hers is averaging about 24 MPG. She can be down around 21 on base (my GTI suffers there too) but gets around the 27 mark on the highway. Better than her van got, and not nearly as miserable as the Atlas is advertised with the V6.

One dislike I have is they put the LED taillights on this one but it has halogen headlights. Only the SEL Premium gets the LED headlights. Maybe I'll shoot for replicas later if they have them, but overall she doesn't mind it.

Also Chipwerke does offer a piggyback for it as well if shopping those. Not competitive with a full tune (which I imagine there will be least one or two at some point), but if it's like mine it's still worth some extra HP/torque and a lower cost.

My wife had a requirement for AWD and a third row in any replacement for her minivan, hence why we didn't go with the Mazda or most of the others. The only exception she'd make is for an Evoque. [emoji14] The other option for her was a Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport (or whatever the mid-level SR5 trim is). This one was cheaper, smaller yet fits, and looks better to her.

There are some group pages for it on FB, and some have already started changing out suspension and other things such as lowering and intakes, etc. While I don't see it being quite as tunable as its predecessor there is some potential.

Thanks for this post! Very detailed. Really, by the time I am looking at getting another car it will probably be 2021 or beyond, I just like to torture myself periodically looking up this car, BMW M240 etc..

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
I had a loaner Tiguan, base model, that was unimpressive in so many ways. Especially the transmission. I told the service writer I was very disappointed in the DSG calibration, and he said it's an automatic! So it has no excuse whatsoever for being so clunky! The engine sounded tinny and thrashy; you'd never know it was related to the one in the GTI. The cloth upholstery felt cheap, as did the rest of the interior. I hated it.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I had a loaner Tiguan, base model, that was unimpressive in so many ways. Especially the transmission. I told the service writer I was very disappointed in the DSG calibration, and he said it's an automatic! So it has no excuse whatsoever for being so clunky! The engine sounded tinny and thrashy; you'd never know it was related to the one in the GTI. The cloth upholstery felt cheap, as did the rest of the interior. I hated it.

I’m pretty sure the service writer is correct. It’s a normal automatic, not a dual clutch.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The Euro spec Tiguan uses a 7 speed DSG or 6 speed manual.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If they sell Hyundai's there check out the 2019 Sante Fe. I'm not sure of the MPG but the SE version has driver assist and is supposed to do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. I just rode in a new one and was impressed with its features for under $30K.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Remember guys, it's a Mexican VW. It will go for 5K+ off.

Also, why are GSW/Alltracks not being talked about? Roof rails + station wagon storage in back, in a sporty, not-so-different-from-a-gti package. With Golf R performance potential for like 2K$

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^

Because our ignorant society dislikes the awesomeness of wagons and instead favors something similar except with a lift kit and huge body roll.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
Yup

And if you troll over on Vortex, you'll see that there are some Atlas and Tiguan owners that want to install lift spacers and bigger/off road tires for crawling thru the mall parking lots.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Hah I would totally drive a lifted Atlas.
The Basecamp concept at the NYIAS was pretty sweet I thought...

I would buy one if my wife would drive it but I would never actually buy that over a wagon of some sort.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
^

Because our ignorant society dislikes the awesomeness of wagons and instead favors something similar except with a lift kit and huge body roll.
^^^
Yup

And if you troll over on Vortex, you'll see that there are some Atlas and Tiguan owners that want to install lift spacers and bigger/off road tires for crawling thru the mall parking lots.
Yeah it really is a shame. My 63 year old mother even gawked at my suggestion that she get a station wagon. Something about it not being cool enough...

I'm like mom. I'm 25 and would drive that thing in a second BECAUSE its one of the most awesome cars on the road for under 30K, if i want already too invested in my GTI.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk