GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 VW Golf R Distance warning Dashlight

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can definitely drive without seeing the indication. I wouldn't be surprised if there are folks here that have never seen it I did so on the 405 during rush hour 3 nights a week while going to school for the better part of 2 years. I can't even recall the last time I saw it. I'm with @kevinkar on this one... I don't care about people getting into the gap in front of me. On the highway (let's say anything about 35-40 really) if there is not enough room for a car to "squeeze in" that feels like driving too close for me. Obviously the gap I leave gets smaller as speed goes down.

From VW UK, but probably applies... https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/own.../warning-light/electric-distance-warning.html
Active above 40ish (65 kmh) it says... lane assist can become active at 37ish (60 kmh) but it will remain active down to about 30 in my experience although it won't activate at that speed.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I still think you just aren't seeing it when it turns on. You would literally need to avoid anything around you by making large changes in speed or when changing lanes to exit the freeway to avoid the light from flashing. Most times you are prob just too busy looking over your shoulder attempting to move.

In any situation where I'm following the car in front of me, I do my best to make sure I have adequate stopping distance. But in no way would it be possible to never see that light on I-10 in the heart of Phoenix.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Lol, so you think I don't see the symbol on my dash... got it :rolleyes:. I don't change lanes while looking over my shoulder, that sounds wild to me.

Unless something is wrong with your car. If you see it on every drive it's either the car or you... but it's not normal.

I don't know anything about I-10 in Phoenix... but if you leave more distance between your car and the ones in front of you... you won't see the warning either.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Lol, so you think I don't see the symbol on my dash... got it :rolleyes:. I don't change lanes while looking over my shoulder, that sounds wild to me.

Unless something is wrong with your car. If you see it on every drive it's either the car or you... but it's not normal.

I don't know anything about I-10 in Phoenix... but if you leave more distance between your car and the ones in front of you... you won't see the warning either.

Aside from the snarky response, looking over your shoulder is commonly taught when learning how to drive... if you didn't know that. It's what you are supposed to do before you change lanes, regardless of the vehicle's safety systems.

We all know why the light turns on. I'm not debating this, or anything else you have to say... frankly. I'm just letting you know that for everyone else in the world that owns this car, except for you apparently, the light is simply to indicate that you are too close to the car in front of you. And that situations exist where you aren't necessarily able to prevent the light from turning on. If you would actually read, you'd know that.

"Insert stupid emoji face here"

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Most times you are prob just too busy looking over your shoulder attempting to move.
I did read what you said, hence my my snarky response at the ridiculousness of someone telling me that I don't see the warnings on my dash and suggesting I change lanes while looking over my shoulder. Neither is true, both are laughable assertations.

You didn't read...
I do turn and check my blind spot before changing lanes. No way am I changing lanes while my head is turned. And I don't change lanes while following anyone closely because I don't know what they might do for that half second that my head is turned.

I see that warning so rarely that I always notice it, at which point I also realize I'm driving too close... as I said before either for some (probably not great) reason or because I'm distracted (no excuse for this, but it happens).

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I want to clarify that I DID say "I RARELY get this warning" so I'm not saying I NEVER see it, only that I don't see it as often as some might think I should but, as noted, I don't drive that close to cars in front of me so I don't think it's triggering and thus the rarity.

I also don't drive with ACC on unless I'm on long drives or maybe stop and go traffic so that's usually off. Not sure what needs to be on/set for this indicator to show up.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Hello All,

Got this 2019 VW Golf R a few months and noticed this occurring about a few weeks ago. Noticed this light kept on coming up randomly on my dash when I am driving on the highway/freeway. I looked it up at the manual and online and it says the following

Distance Warning

The system detects when safety is endangered by driving too close to the vehicle in front. The indicator lamp lights up. Increase the distance.

Speed range: approx. 65 km/h (40 mph) to 250 km/h (155 mph).

I have never tailed gated anyone and I am always at least one to two car lengths behind a person when I am driving on the highway/freeway. But I don't understand it says to increase the distance. What is up with this light and if there is something wrong with my front sensor? Also, this has happened when there is no one in front of me too.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/own.../warning-light/electric-distance-warning.html

View attachment 267256
It's letting you know...you are tailgating...