GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 united motorsports tune? Anyone have it?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I just saw that their DSG/TCU tune is out and made 308/340 on a MD. Seems pretty good. Not sure it would be worth a warranty void since I have the jb4, but who knows?

JAV3

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a few friends on UM tune it’s been great buddy of mine has had it for a year or so now no problem of course he’s out of warranty when he did it but you’ll enjoy it whenever you get it done I myself am making the switch

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I have a few friends on UM tune it’s been great buddy of mine has had it for a year or so now no problem of course he’s out of warranty when he did it but you’ll enjoy it whenever you get it done I myself am making the switch
Thanks for the info, I had their k04 tune on my 2013, I enjoyed the tune a lot

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I have a newer GTI and wanted to go UM. They nearly blew the car up. Read my thread about it to see specific issues I was having but long story short I had some ridiculous race gas tune put on it, and we (the shop, UM and myself) spent countless hours trying to diagnose the issue.

In the end, they blamed it on me "buying a hurt motor/you got scammed bro." Yet the tune was calling for OuTRAGEOUS timing levels at very low rpm. Everytime we tried to show them this in the data they either argued or it was lost in translation. With that and him saying my "ko3 can only do 25psi" I refunded, compression tested car and then flashed back to stock. CTEsT came back perfect. Stock ran clean zero knock. Then flashed to apr to see if it was the tune. APR ran great, zero knock. Returned and bought maestro.
Emailed them telling this and they never responded.

Fast forward a year later and the car is gapping cars it absolutely shouldn't and running some of the fastest is38 times ever recorded with Hoons custom tuning pushing everything to the ragged edge. Still as strong as the day I bought it. Seems my "hurt motor that was my fault and about to explode" is doing just fine xD

What happened?
A very experienced tuner and part time coder helped me dissect what was possibly going on in retrospect. It seemed for my new GTI they had mislabeled the octane levels both on their slider and had messed them up in the tune. What was set to 93 was really like big turbo, e85 , race gas levels of timing. They chose to take ZERO responsibility . Even after I proved it was the tune they never apologized for nearly bricking a brand new car. . Companies make mistakes, but to assume your product is infallible and every little issue is an owner's hardware problem is not a tuner I want touching my ecu.

Pros: their tcu tune was phenomenal.

I've chose to never publicly blast them as is my right (including the mountain of data I have proving what was going on) because I'm not that person. This is the first time I've ever said anything about this after it happened as well. But would I personally recc them for a new mqb? Yeah probably not lol. But I know mine was a fluke and you would 99% most likely get a great tune. YMMV

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I wanna see the UM tune crazy timing. Put one on your datazap.

Ok i'll put them up. It was before I had eurodyne obviously so it was logged using obd eleven. But then all this was of course confirmed with 1) VCDS 2) UM data logger LIVE. I have more but I'd have to go all the way back and find some but here is some I had saved on OBD11. Not the best logger but gives you an idea of what was going on. In one of them you can see the tune was calling for 10* of advance at 25psi at 4800 rpm in cyl 1. On "87 octane" according to their slider. I did not see a connection between reducing slider values and knock values changing. Tested gas, combed through everything 5x.. this was a whole ordeal if you remember...

Very happy the car survived. The ones where its only -4 ish were only half throttle btw. When i flashed back I took the plugs out and they looked just awful so something very bad was going on lol

https://datazap.me/u/samuphil/united-motorsport-diggs-distrustful-ass?log=0&data=1

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Ooook, soooo not a good choice or what? Lol
I think GIAC really dropped the ball on this btw, I likely would have gone with them, but they don’t even get back to me about when the tunes will be done

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Ooook, soooo not a good choice or what? Lol
I think GIAC really dropped the ball on this btw, I likely would have gone with them, but they don’t even get back to me about when the tunes will be done

Although I had issues my friends ran great and the tune was fine.

Is there a reason you don't want to go eurodyne/ maestro? It's super easy and saves a ton of time and money doing in your own garage. I would never ever go back.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

Is there a reason you don't want to go eurodyne/ maestro? It's super easy and saves a ton of time and money doing in your own garage. I would never ever go back.

Being able to tune your own car is awesome. Its probably the best thing I've done to my car.

UM isn't a good value in my opinion.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

I had eurodyne before and I honestly wasn’t happy with Chris. 1 word or line replies, issues with running rich constantly. I went UM afterward, and I had no more rich code. I also had it tuned by someone, code was still there

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I had eurodyne before and I honestly wasn’t happy with Chris. 1 word or line replies, issues with running rich constantly. I went UM afterward, and I had no more rich code. I also had it tuned by someone, code was still there
That's very strange. All my ed base maps have ran insanely lean. One log I saw stoich at 4.7k full boost lmao. But yeah UM should be fine just make sure u log it yourself!