GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 SE with Fender audio- start up display screen is random

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
Sometimes it goes back to what it was when the car was turned off. Sometimes Waze. Sometimes the CarPlay menu. Even in the Performance Monitor screen, the individual guages can change from my default choices.

What controls it? Assume a lot has to do what Apple thinks I want. Man I hate that part of the Apple intrusion.
It would be great to be able to start MY car and have the data I want displayed instead of a third party.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
It has nothing to do with Apple and any of their supposed "intrusion." You already said you don't know what the problem is, but then make an incredibly incorrect assumption and blame Apple. good lord...

Since it's affecting all parts of your head unit it's simple troubleshooting..it's your head unit.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I will not hook up the phone and see what happens. I may just be bumping the screen on the performance monitor. Everything else has one common thing, Apple Carplay. The random screens that pop up are all things that originate on the phone. Like a map coming up, seems to be related to a calendar appointment. Phone related screens or messages. I just want to drive and look at my phone stuff not when I am driving. I have not found settings that allow CarPlay functions I want and cut the rest of the screen grabs out.

I don’t think the car is the problem.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
I will not hook up the phone and see what happens. I may just be bumping the screen on the performance monitor. Everything else has one common thing, Apple Carplay. The random screens that pop up are all things that originate on the phone. Like a map coming up, seems to be related to a calendar appointment. Phone related screens or messages. I just want to drive and look at my phone stuff not when I am driving. I have not found settings that allow CarPlay functions I want and cut the rest of the screen grabs out.

I don’t think the car is the problem.

When you connect CarPlay it will automatically connect and bring up the last thing you were using that is part of CarPlay. What tells me it's the car and not CarPlay is that it affects the performance monitor. CarPlay doesn't interact with that in any way, shape, or form. If the PM is changing displays, your radio is the problem, period. Are you having these same issues if you don't connect your phone via USB? If you're having issues with the phone disconnected it literally CAN'T be your phone OR CarPlay