GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 MK7.5 gti Bad turbo

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
Hello all, as I posted in my other thread Turbo flutter under hard acceleration, My car is having some issues. I was experiencing SURGE not flutter, and after having this problem on and off for about 3,000 miles, It finally worsened. It now sounds as if the wastegate is stuck open and letting boost out at a consistent rate when accelerating. I took off the downpipe to inspect the turbo a bit, and the wastegate did not seem loose, however, there is shaft play on my turbo. After looking at this, and hearing the god awful noises the turbo makes on a cold start, I can confidently say that my 2019 gti turbo is absolutely fucked. Car is on stock tune, with a catted downpipe. The car goes into the dealership on Tuesday and I would bet they're going to be replacing the turbo under warranty. Again the car is on stock tune with about 6,800 miles. The issue has been persistent almost since I got the car, so I am less disappointed and more just excited to feel full boost again. Thanks for everyone who responded to my other thread, I just wanted to put this out there for any other 2019 owners even though I most likely got a bad turbo from the factory.

Last edited:

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I have a 2019 with 7,000 miles running jb4 I haven’t noticed anything wrong with my is20.

FROSTYmk7.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7.5 golf gti 6MT
I have a 2019 with 7,000 miles running jb4 I haven’t noticed anything wrong with my is20.
that's good! this problem has been there since around 1,000 or so miles for me, and It did not start abruptly. It very slowly got worse and worse. Just for background I didn't go over 3-4,000 rpm until after 500ish miles, and I always wait to floor it until the oil temp hits 200°f. It's surprising but I am not disappointed very much though as I understand when you mass-produce a car there are going to be a few that get bad turbos and other issues. hints the warranty

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
that's good! this problem has been there since around 1,000 or so miles. (I didn't go over 3-4,000 rpm until after 500ish miles, and I always wait until the oil temp hits 200°f) It's surprising but I am not disappointed very much though as I understand when you mass-produce a car there are going to be a few that get bad turbos and other issues. hints the warranty

agreed I haven’t seen a single car on here with a bad turbo on a 2019 yet. I guess your car is just unfortunate. Hopefully the dealer replaces the turbo fast and gets you back on road.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
The later model is20 and is38 are pretty stout, you just got a dud. Hopefully it won’t have anymore problems after they fix it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The later model is20 and is38 are pretty stout, you just got a dud. Hopefully it won’t have anymore problems after they fix it.

I wouldn't call the later IS20s and IS38s stout. That would imply they have been actually beefed up. Let's just say they are reliable under normal conditions. That's all you can really ask for.

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealer wants your warranty work, they want to get paid from VW. Yes they will have to send ECU files to VW, but you're on stock tune so all good there. They're not gonna fuck with you over a downpipe. Just my opinion.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
The dealer wants your warranty work, they want to get paid from VW. Yes they will have to send ECU files to VW, but you're on stock tune so all good there. They're not gonna fuck with you over a downpipe. Just my opinion.
isn't it VW who would deny the claim not dealer, dealer wants the want, money to be paid, but yea i would stock it out as much as possible

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
isn't it VW who would deny the claim not dealer, dealer wants the want, money to be paid, but yea i would stock it out as much as possible

Yeah I could've been clearer, but that's what I was saying... The only thing we're saying differently is our opinion of whether to swap the dp or not. Personally I'd leave it on only because I know my dealer isn't gonna mention the dp to VW (they're just gonna send the ECU file). It's in the dealers beat interest to have your warranty claim approved so they can get paid from the mothership. Sounds like the op is pretty sure his dealer is relatively chill also... If I've got the time/space/energy I'd swap it out, but I don't so I'd leave it.

I do pop out my JB4 when I bring it in.