GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 MK7.5 gti Bad turbo

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
You are correct, I got off topic replying to the troll while I should have been responding to the OP.

@FROSTYmk7.5 - You have made modifications to your car that can negatively affect your emissions and bumper to bumper warranty. You have also provided sufficient information to likely identify your car and dealership used.

First, I would not take advice from people seemingly eager to commit and/or aid in fraud. Second, I would not post such questions on an open forum that can be easily traced back to you.

good luck to you.
are you the FBI ? you think VW is running spiders across the web looking for keywords and running a cross analysis for any current warranty work just to accept or deny a turbo claim worth this much of their net worth '2.35294118e-8 '

1590686595875.png

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
are you the FBI ? you think VW is running spiders across the web looking for keywords and running a cross analysis for any current warranty work just to accept or deny a turbo claim worth this much of their net worth '2.35294118e-8 '

View attachment 174821

You are an idiot, carry on.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
You are correct, I got off topic replying to the troll while I should have been responding to the OP.

@FROSTYmk7.5 - You have made modifications to your car that can negatively affect your emissions and bumper to bumper warranty. You have also provided sufficient information to likely identify your car and dealership used.

First, I would not take advice from people seemingly eager to commit and/or aid in fraud. Second, I would not post such questions on an open forum that can be easily traced back to you.

good luck to you.

Wait what would be traced back to him? I'm confused. How is he trying to commit fraud? He doesn’t have a tune and he never said he had a catless downpipe on the car so what did the OP do that was wrong? On a stock tune a downpipe does not change anything about the cars performance if you're running an O2 spacer or a high quality DP/cat.

In my eyes what he has done is no more egregious than installing an aftermarket intake or catback, two common modifications which do not usually have adverse effects on warranty claims. I hardly see how this could be considered fraud.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Wait what would be traced back to him? I'm confused. How is he trying to commit fraud? He doesn’t have a tune and he never said he had a catless downpipe on the car so what did the OP do that was wrong? On a stock tune a downpipe does not change anything about the cars performance if you're running an O2 spacer or a high quality DP/cat.
In my eyes what he has done is no more egregious than installing an aftermarket intake or catback, two common modifications which do not usually have adverse effects on warranty claims. I hardly see how this could be considered fraud.

OP says has a eBay special depo catted down pipe, and unless he can show his new cat meets or exceeds the performance of the stock cat(s), it is illegal on a street driven vehicle. Your cited O2 spacer is also illegal for a street driven vehicle. These are modifications to the existing emissions control systems which violates federal law. It doesn’t matter how you feel, What you like, what joe bob says on the web, or what the dealership’s so in so tells you. Unless you have documentation showing that item meets or exceeds factory specifications, and meets any local/state mandates/certifications, then illegal is illegal.

The factory warranty is voided when modifications are made as to cause alterations beyond designed/OEM specifications. a higher flowing downpipe, removal of stock cars, etc changes the operating perimeters as defined by VW. While I’ll never argue the minuscule degree at which the affect is, it’s a very easy leap for a VW to make. If this is confusing, reread your warranty’s fine-print for more information.

The fraud stems from you installing an item that knowingly voids your warranty, then, with intent to deceive, change it back out to conceal the modification to facilitate keeping your warranty intact. The victim of the fraudulent act in this scenario is VW’s warranty arm, and/or the dealership.

How is it traced back? His avatar is a picture of his car, with an unredacted view of his plate number. He also discusses frequently the “mod friendly” nature of the dealer, Emich VW, in question. I assure you that, while yes the dealership is mod friendly, VWoA also knows this and applies more scrutiny to their warranty claim requests. Openly advertising and/or soliciting advice for the above noted fraudulent activities, is a pretty good way to catch unwanted attention. I know, you know, OP knows his down-pipe didn’t cause his turbo failure, but VW would have a very easy way to junk his remaining warranty and wash their hands of what ever they wanted to. I offer you this as an analogy.

I have a good friend that runs a company making tuning bits used on Dodge Ecodiesel trucks amongst other platforms. A class action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler/Fiat in the similar vein to Dieselgate. In short order my friend’s sales records, as well as other “tuners,” were subpoenaed and cross referenced with sales information and vin numbers. They also sought social media information to show modifications that disabled/altered the emissions and fueling systems. Any customer that matched was excluded from any portion of the lawsuit, denied any claim, and their warranties were voided. This lawsuit is also driving the push to criminalize the sale of “off road only” parts, regardless of their intended purposes.

While this is not the same situation, it goes to show the lengths at which a auto company will go to protect their assets. I have also been involved with large law enforcement operations related to street racing, and how the information was obtained by court order.

@Navi - who am I? Just someone that has been around this scene, the industry, and experience in federal law for nearly three decades.

TLDR: loose lips sink ships.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Mod friendly means they will install performance parts for you and not make undue problems for you.

It doesn't mean they're going to pay for expensive replacement parts for you come what may.

If you're a big dollar customer you'll get a huge amount of leeway. If you're a nickle and dime customer they might just burn you instead of cashing in a favor with VW.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
OP says has a eBay special depo catted down pipe, and unless he can show his new cat meets or exceeds the performance of the stock cat(s), it is illegal on a street driven vehicle. Your cited O2 spacer is also illegal for a street driven vehicle. These are modifications to the existing emissions control systems which violates federal law. It doesn’t matter how you feel, What you like, what joe bob says on the web, or what the dealership’s so in so tells you. Unless you have documentation showing that item meets or exceeds factory specifications, and meets any local/state mandates/certifications, then illegal is illegal.

The factory warranty is voided when modifications are made as to cause alterations beyond designed/OEM specifications. a higher flowing downpipe, removal of stock cars, etc changes the operating perimeters as defined by VW. While I’ll never argue the minuscule degree at which the affect is, it’s a very easy leap for a VW to make. If this is confusing, reread your warranty’s fine-print for more information.

The fraud stems from you installing an item that knowingly voids your warranty, then, with intent to deceive, change it back out to conceal the modification to facilitate keeping your warranty intact. The victim of the fraudulent act in this scenario is VW’s warranty arm, and/or the dealership.

How is it traced back? His avatar is a picture of his car, with an unredacted view of his plate number. He also discusses frequently the “mod friendly” nature of the dealer, Emich VW, in question. I assure you that, while yes the dealership is mod friendly, VWoA also knows this and applies more scrutiny to their warranty claim requests. Openly advertising and/or soliciting advice for the above noted fraudulent activities, is a pretty good way to catch unwanted attention. I know, you know, OP knows his down-pipe didn’t cause his turbo failure, but VW would have a very easy way to junk his remaining warranty and wash their hands of what ever they wanted to. I offer you this as an analogy.

I have a good friend that runs a company making tuning bits used on Dodge Ecodiesel trucks amongst other platforms. A class action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler/Fiat in the similar vein to Dieselgate. In short order my friend’s sales records, as well as other “tuners,” were subpoenaed and cross referenced with sales information and vin numbers. They also sought social media information to show modifications that disabled/altered the emissions and fueling systems. Any customer that matched was excluded from any portion of the lawsuit, denied any claim, and their warranties were voided. This lawsuit is also driving the push to criminalize the sale of “off road only” parts, regardless of their intended purposes.

While this is not the same situation, it goes to show the lengths at which a auto company will go to protect their assets. I have also been involved with large law enforcement operations related to street racing, and how the information was obtained by court order.

@Navi - who am I? Just someone that has been around this scene, the industry, and experience in federal law for nearly three decades.

TLDR: loose lips sink ships.

If that's the case, then all of these aftermarket car parts companies would be out of business and have the Feds after them, i.e. APR, ECS, Urotuning, USP Motorsports, Neuspeed, and so on...

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
If that's the case, then all of these aftermarket car parts companies would be out of business and have the Feds after them, i.e. APR, ECS, Urotuning, USP Motorsports, Neuspeed, and so on...

I'm not sure if this is specifically what Corprin is citing, but, a few years ago, the EPA did crack down and worried a lot of the aftermarket. It's been a while, but I think it started with Harley and a lot of tuning companies got spooked. This is one of the reasons why Cobb SoCal was sold.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harley-davidson-clean-air-act-settlement
https://www.arnoldporter.com/en/per...ignals-more-enforcement-cases-for-aftermarket
https://www.thedrive.com/news/23833...roducing-and-selling-emissions-defeat-devices

Navi

Autocross Champion

I actually didn't care. And now I care less. Lost interest when you started talking about law enforcement. 🐷

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'm not sure if this is specifically what Corprin is citing, but, a few years ago, the EPA did crack down and worried a lot of the aftermarket. It's been a while, but I think it started with Harley and a lot of tuning companies got spooked. This is one of the reasons why Cobb SoCal was sold.

https://www.arnoldporter.com/en/per...ignals-more-enforcement-cases-for-aftermarket
https://www.thedrive.com/news/23833...roducing-and-selling-emissions-defeat-devices

That all pertains to tunes and/or parts for tricking emissions. I was referring to all of the aftermarket parts, that the companies that I listed sell, pretty much say the parts are for "off road and race applications only" just so they can cover their own asses.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Sad he blocked me

yeah I think in cali the laws for aftermarket exhaust are pretty serious, not sure how enforced they are tho.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

More recently:

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nat...termarket-defeat-devices-vehicles-and-engines

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Your welcome at our next local meetup, no anonymity here, also the above was sarcastic hence the secret sauce in my shed. Lastly, if any employer said I was in trouble for what I post on here joking or not, It wouldn't be a place I would want to work.

Corp has a little love hate relationship with me :p

When is he going to get to the love part? 😂