GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI vs 2019 Mazda 3

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was so close to buying a 19' Mazda 3 when they came out because of the AWD, I was going for the premium model, which was close to what I paid for my GTI, the NVH and interior is very nice, but the handling and more power from the GTI was much better. I came from a regular civic so both had more power. The big c pillars didnt help either. Getting in and out of the back of the Mazda wasn't hard per se, but it def took a little more effort. At 6'2 I couldn't sit behind myself in the Mazda, while in the GTI I can. Im so glad the VW dealership was next door to Mazda, because I have zero regrets and I'm so happy the deal didnt work out for the Mazda.

I don't know about the latest models but the Mazda doesn't have the cubbyhole spaces either does it?

Aliu121

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' SE DSG
I don't know about the latest models but the Mazda doesn't have the cubbyhole spaces either does it?

Not that I know of, if I remember the cup holders would be where most "cubbyholes" are. It does have a large arm rest compartment though.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
What tyoe of maintenance does the gti require that's more than the Mazda? You mean the DSG transmission? What about manual vs manual.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What tyoe of maintenance does the gti require that's more than the Mazda? You mean the DSG transmission? What about manual vs manual.

If the Mazda isn't a turbo then more frequent spark plug changes. Is the Mazda gas direct injection or port injection?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
How about Civic Si vs GTI
I had a 17 GTI that was totaled. I drove the Si before buying another GTI. I had a CRX Si three decades ago, and ordered an S2000 that the dealer tried to put a $10k markup on after agreeing to sell for sticker.

It's a great driving car. The chassis is much more composed, suspension feels much better tuned, it actually has some rebound control. The shifter is great for fwd, much, much better than a stock GTI. The brakes feel better than the PP too, just a nice, linear feel, with a little better pedal feedback.

But it's freaking huge, as large as our old F30 3 series. I hate big cars and the Civic felt way too large. The interior is super cheap feeling and has about 15 textures and colors going on and nothing looks particularly nice. And of course it's subjective, but my eyes don't like one part of the outside or inside. The little motor feels really anemic until about 4K rpm, much more turbo lag and uneven power delivery than the GTI, and very easy to catch snoozing.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Civic's interior is hideous with a weak ass unreliable POS 1.5T engine.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
GTI vs Mazda 3? No comparison. Now go get a GTI already lol.