GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI vs 2019 Mazda 3

ZuMBLe

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
No issues with my mostly stock MK6 Golf and no issues with my modified MK7 Alltrack. The electronics have not given me a problem on either car. Both cars start up in the cold etc. I'm a little OCD when it comes to my cars so I won't stand of electrical gremlins, or "quirks". I change the oil and beat on the car every once in a while.

vj123

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I really do value all the attributes of the GTI, good acceleration, beautiful interior, good fuel economy, large cargo capacity, decent handling, and a pure joy to drive. But not if it's at the expense of having to take it into the mechanic for repairs every other month, or spending thousands of $$$ on repairs every year. I know of someone who had a MK7 and only kept it for 1 year because it was constantly in the shop for repairs (mostly electrical issues). The last straw was when the fuel pump failed- all within the first year of ownership!
Would be interesting to see what the 2019 Mazda 3 with the Skyactive-X will be priced at. Mazda is supposedly doing more work to tweak the engine to increase the HP- and still achieve diesel-like fuel economy.
At the end its a mass produced product and bad apples do come out but this can happen with any brand or model. I had zero issues with my GTI when i owned it and the overall reliability of this platform is pretty damm good. Given a choice, i will spend my hard earned money on this platform one more time.

Good luck on trying out a brand new platform.

sg11

Revived. I love Mazda and my 2016 Mazda3. These two cars are on my radar. I would like to consider the 2019 GTI but looking at how many people are having stalling issues with the 6 speed manual, it makes it difficult. VW still doesn't seem to have a fix for it either.

vjmvjm

Ready to race!
Revived. I love Mazda and my 2016 Mazda3. These two cars are on my radar. I would like to consider the 2019 GTI but looking at how many people are having stalling issues with the 6 speed manual, it makes it difficult. VW still doesn't seem to have a fix for it either.
Enjoy the torsion-beam rear suspension in the newest Mazda 3. More cargo space, cheaper to build, but the reviews say handling has degraded compared to earlier models.

XM_Rocks

Drag Race Newbie
I’m just enjoying that EHOLTA went away.

vjmvjm

Ready to race!
Just drove the Mazda 3 (710 mile-old loaner when the GTI was in for the latest recall). The 3 is a competitor for the base Golf, not the GTI. The 3 is very quiet, the user interface is lousy (multiple steps to change a radio station), and the automatic transmission is not for enthusiasts. The adaptive cruise was very jerky, both when following cars and on rolling roads without traffic (downhill braking / shifting). Make sure you drive one before you buy it.

victorofhavoc

Go Kart Champion
if you're comparing the gti and a mazda 3, the answer is pretty self explanatory... You really want an F150. Maybe not right now, but you'll end up in a truck or a crossover inevitably.

Hotsky

Ready to race!
I test drive 2015 mazda 3 and 2015 golf and eneded you with 2016 golf when i was looking for a daily this past summer. I did also test drive a 2019 mazda 3 and loved it. Much better interior and sportier cockpit then current gen golf/gti. New Mazdas are pricey tho which is why i went with the used Golf. Btw my last car was a gen 1 mazda 3 and i would not hesitate getting another one.

6_speed_GTI

I drove a 2004 Mazda3 for nearly 180k miles. Granted, I had the S trim, which had a little more power and a manual transmission so it was more fun than the base model. That car was super fun, but I have no idea what the new ones are like. They got really ugly so I stopped paying attention. It was the fun of driving that car that made me look at cars like the GTI. I don’t think I’d ever buy a newer Mazda now that I’ve driven a GTI for over three years, but that early Mazda3 was a great car for relatively cheap. It’s a bummer to see what they did to the model. They really ruined it.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The new 3 is dull to drive. The rear torsion beam hops over crappy roads. The steering is mushy and worse than the Gen 3 Mazda 3. (Slower steering rack) Visibility is poor due to the enormous C-pillar. The sedan is much better in this regard.
The brakes are crap.

Good looks and refined cabin but not as fun to drive as the previous generations. Comparing a Mazda 3 to a GTI is a joke. Different league in terms of performance.

impulsive.ca

Drag Racing Champion
The only thing they have in common is that they're hatchbacks and fwd. Otherwise, they're definitely not in the same league.