GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI vs 2019 Mazda 3

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I myself didn't want to cheap out on the power again, and I feel like on the GTI they have a reason to focus on handling while the Mazda handling is becoming 2nd to "upscale" (torsion beam rear, really?). Either way you can't go wrong, though.

The 2011 aka first model year of the MK6 Jetta also had a torsion beam. Then they went independent. I'm hoping Mazda wakes up and goes independent a year or two in, because I absolutely LOVE the look of the new 3. It's frickin beautiful.

That, or they release another Speed3. I don't understand why they discontinued. I'm sure it was a money thing but I'd honestly love to entertain another hatch, but without a Speed3 to look at, I am sequestered to the GTI, because I will not look at a Ford or a Subaru.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
People talk about the speed 3 like the engine wasn't garbage...

bcgti

Ready to race!
If you need/want AWD (nice to have for Canadian winters) with an auto transmission, the utility of a hatch and still be fun to drive at a reasonable price - the 2019 Mazda 3 sport is at the top of the list IMO.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I really hope VW does not make the same mistake with the MK8.

I think they will (fuck it up).

I absolutely loved the MK6 and the MK7, as the successors to the previous gens. But seeing how much VW botched the MQB Jetta, I have very little confidence in the MK8. I really do feel like they peaked with the 7/7.5

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Which would be the better buy?
GTI has 220 hp vs 186 for the Mazda 3
Base price of a GTI is much more than the Mazda 3
Cost of ownership for the GTI will be more than the Mazda 3. The Mazda will likely be MUCH more reliable.
GTI is likely more fun and satisfying to drive- but is it worth the extra cost?
The 2019 Mazda 3 has a premium feel and is by far the most quiet car in its class- almost Lexus like.

HP: Just numbers on the paper doesnt mean anything and what matters is the overall experience. GTI (especially this platform) fairs well in this aspect.
Price: True when you just compare MSRP, but you got to count in real world discounts as well.
Cost of ownership: Do you have any data to back this or its a good old mentality that german cars are expensive to maintain.
Reliability: MK7 platform has been very reliable with minor issues (sunroof).
Feel: Have you sat inside GTI's competitors to rate how premium GTI's cabin is? Have you test driven a 2019 Mazda 3 to rate it the ride to be the most quite in its class.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I absolutely loved the MK6 and the MK7, as the successors to the previous gens. But seeing how much VW botched the MQB Jetta, I have very little confidence in the MK8. I really do feel like they peaked with the 7/7.5

This pretty much is my feeling as well. I dont think MK8 is going to excel with the rumored hybrid powertrain and advanced driver assist features.

I am trying to find a reason to buy a GTI before the MK8 comes in.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
This pretty much is my feeling as well. I dont think MK8 is going to excel with the rumored hybrid powertrain and advanced driver assist features.

I am trying to find a reason to buy a GTI before the MK8 comes in.

I would wait UNTIL the MK8 comes out, and find a low-mileage, well kept 7.5 SE w/ Experience Package :D

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
why is this even a comparison? the GTI's hp numbers are incredibly sandbagged so the difference is a lot more than "34hp". they are in different classes and there is not a spec of doubt that the GTI will be much more fun to drive. (might as well compare an A4 vs a 340i)

the 2019 mazda 3 is on a completely new platform/generation vs the MQB in the mk7. so we dont really know how reliable the new one is. we know the MQB platform to be reliable and well built. so as far as I know the MQB is more reliable than the newest mazda 3.

There is no comparison, this simply boils down to - do you want to pay more money for more car?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

LOL

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I would wait UNTIL the MK8 comes out, and find a low-mileage, well kept 7.5 SE w/ Experience Package :D

My target is to a find a brand new GTI during those crazy MY close out sale. I would be happy with SE with Experience package even though i want one with plaid seats and prefer not having a sunroof (hearing about the issues).

But i still have small hopes of VW launching an exclusive trim (similar to that of a Sport which was produced in unlimited number for a year) for 2020 or 2021 as a final edition for this platform.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Drove a Mazda 3 for a bit. Had the best interior I could find with a manual transmission in the area that I could afford at the time.(I was s novice at buying used vehicles) Dear Lord was that thing fucking boring. I got out of it as soon as i could. Ate a lot of negative equity but that thing made my drive HOME from work seem like a chore. Fuck i hated that car...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Either car will be a lot better than a Honda Fit.. So either choice would be a good choice for the OP.

I'm not a fan of the new Mazda 3 hatch. Actually not a fan of any of their cars and SUV at the moment. MX5 could be cool if it was lowered and ran wider wheels/tires.. but then that would defeat the purpose of owning a light and nimble car.

So none of their cars make any sense to me. CX5's new turbo engine is nice, but not at 22mpg with AWD..

LOL'ed at 'librarian's car' :D

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Get the Mazda if you just want a daily. Get the GTI if you want a daily that can also be fun to drive. If you think your Honda Fit is 'fun enough' then you'll be content with the Mazda 3.

My previous car was a 2015 Mazda6 and it was surprisingly planted through the corners but felt like a bus compared to the GTI. The 2.5l engine was the only real disappointment of the car - if you care about speed and power at all the SkyActiv engine will be painfully slow.

They both have decent interiors, although the GTI will be more refined.

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Do we know if they will go with a partial electric engine yet?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
HP: Just numbers on the paper doesnt mean anything and what matters is the overall experience. GTI (especially this platform) fairs well in this aspect.
Price: True when you just compare MSRP, but you got to count in real world discounts as well.
Cost of ownership: Do you have any data to back this or its a good old mentality that german cars are expensive to maintain.
Reliability: MK7 platform has been very reliable with minor issues (sunroof).
Feel: Have you sat inside GTI's competitors to rate how premium GTI's cabin is? Have you test driven a 2019 Mazda 3 to rate it the ride to be the most quite in its class.

Regarding COO, the GTI will undoubtedly be the more expensive option. Higher MSRP, insurance will be higher (mine doubled from $100 to $200/mo from my Mazda6 to GTI), maintenance will cost more (especially if DSG), it requires more expensive gas, tires will wear out faster if pushing the car, etc. The Japanese economy car will also most likely lose less resale value compared to the German entry-level sports car.

But with that said I have no regrets in spending the extra $, it's well worth it to me. Smiles per gallon > miles per gallon. But I also live in an area with many canyons and twisty mountain roads, which is where the GTI really shines.

Last edited: