GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI to 2018 R leftover

videoguy009

Ready to race!
Ok guys here it comes.I bought a 2019 Rabbit in January and while it was in service last week I drove a 2018 leftover Golf R with the DSG for a day and really liked maybe more than the GTI.I know I will take a hit on my gti maybe around 5k ora little more but the R has 6k off cause it is a 2018.Dah any advice as to if this is a fair deal.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
So how many miles does this new R has on the clock. Looks like your dealer has been giving this vehicle to their prospective customers. (I think you have already made up your mind.)

videoguy009

Ready to race!
Same as already stated, if it doesn't have too many miles and has clean record do it.
It is a brand new 2018 leftover with 30 miles on it.It just came out of their showroom to the lot.It is a DSG with the Tornado Red paint.and Black accents.It is a pretty nice car and man is it tempting.LOL

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Personally, i wouldnt as i think GTI brings in a great value for the money.

But if its not going to make a big dent financially in your case, why not do it.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
You will take a much bigger hit than 5k on your gti.

Potentially fun trade to an R but check the dealer offer numbers in writing. No oral bs. Always in writing.

Yes get the price in writing and be sure that are no. Paint, interior, extra added
short term warranty for tyres, battery and window etching.
I was offered all the above BS and I just said NO NO NO and no thanks.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Yes get the price in writing and be sure that are no. Paint, interior, extra added
short term warranty for tyres, battery and window etching.
I was offered all the above BS and I just said NO NO NO and no thanks.

^ This. I got hosed by the dealer with this kind of crap and felt hugely stupid after I got home and read the invoice more closely. They sold me the tire warranty even after I explicitly told the sales guy that I'd be replacing the tires immediately with Conti ECS and selling the OEM's. Never again.

Anyways, I'm in the same boat right now - have a '17 GTI and am close to pulling the trigger on an '18 R.

MacGTI1

I’m assuming that if you drove it for a day that it was a loaner while your car was in shop. If so, how the heck did you get them to give you that. It’s not as if they would think you are in the market for a new car if you had a relatively new GTI. It’s hard enough to get a test drive of an R, never mind a loaner.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I happen to be a repeat customer of theirs and we got to know each other very well.Manager,Sales Manager etc.They did not try to suggest I buy it as I am the one that initiated the conversation.Actually the sales manager was honest when he questioned why I would want to make a somewhat lateral trade but it was still my choice.I guess you can't beat that.I was looking at that same R when I bought my Rabbit but it did not have any discounts on it until a month ago.I did have some paper numbers and it will cost me about 10k for the upgrade.Basically what I would loose on my car I would get that back on the R with the 6k discount and a savings of 4k in taxes because the price of the Rabbit comes off the price of the R before they add the tax.