GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI to 2018 R leftover

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
If you're willing to lose $4-6k, take that amount and put it into your 2019 Rabbit - WAY more fun than a stock Golf R.

Sparklebeard

I wouldn’t do it. Don’t let the ‘deal’ cloud your judgment. Either put the money you would lose into upgrades in the GTI, or save it for an r in the future.

Right now the loss on the GTI would probably be more than the discount on the R (you’d be paying sales tax twice, too).

Ultimately you’d end up with the exact same R you almost bought the first time around, but despite looking like you’re getting it at a discount in reality you’re just paying even more than you would have if you had just bought it at full price originally. Don’t do that to yourself, IMO.

If you’re ok with that and it’s worth it to you though, you should do it.

zech912

Ready to race!
^ This. I got hosed by the dealer with this kind of crap and felt hugely stupid after I got home and read the invoice more closely. They sold me the tire warranty even after I explicitly told the sales guy that I'd be replacing the tires immediately with Conti ECS and selling the OEM's. Never again.

tire warranties, though obviously a dealer money maker or they would not sell them, can be great. your warranty might cover whatever tires you have, for the given period of time. that is what happened to me in 2006 when I felt I was tricked into a tire warranty. I fought like crazy for refund but was told “you bought yourself a tire warranty”. I soon swapped to more expensive tires and over the course of the warranty time period, the warranty covered those tires and I was paid out four times the cost of the warranty.

my thoughts on the OP is that as others have said, even with the $6K discount, you could not possibly be in better shape than the original $10k. It would be wild if you did not lose at least $4k on the GTI from purchase to trade-in.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
tire warranties, though obviously a dealer money maker or they would not sell them, can be great. your warranty might cover whatever tires you have, for the given period of time. that is what happened to me in 2006 when I felt I was tricked into a tire warranty. I fought like crazy for refund but was told “you bought yourself a tire warranty”. I soon swapped to more expensive tires and over the course of the warranty time period, the warranty covered those tires and I was paid out four times the cost of the warranty.

Never thought of it that way, actually. I'll have to look into it and see what is covered.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Financially speaking it’s a terrible idea. But if you have money to burn, then why not.
To me, R is not worth that much more than GTI, after all they’re all just Golfs underneath anyway.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
Financially speaking it’s a terrible idea. But if you have money to burn, then why not.
To me, R is not worth that much more than GTI, after all they’re all just Golfs underneath anyway.
I know what you are saying.When I compared them when I bought my GTI I just couldn't see where the 10k difference was,not to knock the R drivers.All wheel drive and more HP and a few other bells and whistles.I would like to do a little modding like a downpipe etc.but the service department can be real dickheads when it comes to warranty.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
If you can afford it, and like it go for it! You have had the GTI for 6 months, if you genuinely feel you would have more fun in the R you should do it. As you are in Canada I'm sure you would get value out of the AWD in the R.

NB Not sure on the sales tax / registration deal in Canada. Here in the US that would probably sink the value of the deal as you need to pay on each car in most states even if it is second hand.

greens

Ready to race!
I know what you are saying.When I compared them when I bought my GTI I just couldn't see where the 10k difference was,not to knock the R drivers.All wheel drive and more HP and a few other bells and whistles.I would like to do a little modding like a downpipe etc.but the service department can be real dickheads when it comes to warranty.

Get it all on paper so you can visualize and crunch the numbers. Even with the discount they're offering once you take the depreciation hit on the GTI and pay tax the second time it's going to be $10-12k+ to make the switch.

I tried to justify buying the R over the GTI last year and couldn't do it. I have no need for 4WD in Houston and I simply preferred the nimbler feeling of the GTI carrying around 300lbs less weight.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'd sooner have an R for sure - and I can afford to do it but on boring Florida roads there's little point for me. Up in Canada I'd probably have insisted on an R from the get go.

I think you will take more of a hit than you think you will, but it's ultimately up to you - is the awd worth it for the extra $$$? That's really all there is in it - the power deficit GTI vs a stock R is easily addressed for a lot less in the form of a low end tune, and there is APR+ if you'd sooner retain some sort of warranty.