GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI SE

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
You can very well do that.

I know that you have been in the market for some time and not sure if you have started talking to dealers. What if you wait till Jan and dont find the vehicle of your choice (options and exterior color) with your dealer (if you have finalized a dealer). There is a chance that you might have to compromise of the options / color or start the negotiations all over again with a different dealer.

yea, I have been delaying for a few reasons. I wanted to see the mk8 gti, wanted to see the new wrx (no spy shots yet but suppose to be new for MY 2021) and I currently don’t have a house/garage. Getting ready to buy a house but where I rent I do have access to a carport so that could work in meantime.

After seeing the official mk8 release at end of oct 2019 I started to get a lot more serious about mk7.5, lol. With the weird front end but mainly the dash layout on mk8 I don’t want to go there. I think it will be refreshed shortly after and changed pretty big.

Last edited:

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Also, there isn’t really a trim on 2019 gti that made me want to run out and get one fast. The rabbit is good but is lacking Sirius radio and head unit is very dated for 2019 car, which is expected since the model has been around since 2013, plus you can’t even find them now unless used.

SE I would be paying a good amount more and includes items I don’t really want/need; leather,, sunroof, DCC.

You have to make a compromise somewhere though. I have seen quite a few SE’s in my area.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Rabbit, if you fly/buy you can swap out the head unit. Easy enough, run some wires and viola. You have 8” infotainment with Sirius.

SE you can post up and swap out the cloth for leather with someone that wants the opposite. I dislike leather in a car I go around corners with, and the GTI seats are amazing plus heated cloth... who’s the person that came up with this, I have a fruit basket for you. You’ll have to deal with sunroof. Personally, I hate the things and end up just using silicon to seal them up and pull the fuse when I’m stuck with them. If you don’t mind not having the fender system, opt for an SE without the experience package, viola, no DCC.

Personally I’d rather have been offered the Canadian spec Rabbit, but I’m fine with my US spec one.

Dec is a good month to buy a car, and the incentives for the 19’s are solid. Might be a good time to go get your color/model/option package you want. The longer you wait the more people see the looks of the 2020 and the lack of GTI, the more will snap up the 19s.

Or find a CPO 18 SE wirh cloth. :)

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Good points. If only they made a the mk8 gti front end similar to the Jetta gli. I think the Jetta gli front end looks pretty good

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Good points. If only they made a the mk8 gti front end similar to the Jetta gli. I think the Jetta gli front end looks pretty good

The mk8 looks a little derp to me, and the interior is 2005 BMW.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Rabbit, if you fly/buy you can swap out the head unit. Easy enough, run some wires and viola. You have 8” infotainment with Sirius.

I was reading some DIY threads for swapping out the head unit for 8inch. You have to either run antenna wires to the shark fin on roof or install an aftermarket antenna, first option requiring your to rip many panels off car and run wires. This DIY also required a new glovebox and there was some washing out of the headunit on a corner because of the clips flexing the face on the new unit, couple people had this issue.

Also, read the new head unit has to be coded by a guy named "Jack" that you pay $350 to otherwise many functions don't work including the backup camera?

Sounds like a pain, right? I'm a diy kinda guy and have installed aftermarket stereos but with the money required for all the harnesses, headunit, coding, your time etc it makes more sense to just buy the SE.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Actually I looked at the two largest dealers in my (Midwest) area and each have 5 SEs in stock. More than I had thought. Don’t think you’ll get $7k off. Expect about $5k off MSRP. In my experience 19s will really start to be scarce in another month as the 2020s start to come into port. IMO this is your sweet spot right now. Good luck.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Actually I looked at the two largest dealers in my (Midwest) area and each have 5 SEs in stock. More than I had thought. Don’t think you’ll get $7k off. Expect about $5k off MSRP. In my experience 19s will really start to be scarce in another month as the 2020s start to come into port. IMO this is your sweet spot right now. Good luck.
People were getting 5 grand off back in the summer time...

mk8 tech scares me

(not a fan of any new model)

yea, besides by the time the mk8 comes to US and Canada (end of year 2021 as MY 2022). It will be time for refresh in Germany, lol

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I was reading some DIY threads for swapping out the head unit for 8inch. You have to either run antenna wires to the shark fin on roof or install an aftermarket antenna, first option requiring your to rip many panels off car and run wires. This DIY also required a new glovebox and there was some washing out of the headunit on a corner because of the clips flexing the face on the new unit, couple people had this issue.

Also, read the new head unit has to be coded by a guy named "Jack" that you pay $350 to otherwise many functions don't work including the backup camera?

Sounds like a pain, right? I'm a diy kinda guy and have installed aftermarket stereos but with the money required for all the harnesses, headunit, coding, your time etc it makes more sense to just buy the SE.

Exactly :)

I wanted the better infotainment, but leather and sunroof were deal breakers for me. So I took the 6” and just listen to my amazon music in my cloth/real roof Rabbit.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
People were getting 5 grand off back in the summer time...
It’s not summer any longer and there is nowhere near the same inventory now

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
It’s not summer any longer and there are nowhere near the same inventory now

In general, outgoing MYs will have better discounts over time. But i am not sure if that will be the case with changing warranty for next MY.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
you guys seems to know a good deal about this buying process. This is my first time buying a new car. I'm putting together a list of all the dealers within a couple hours of me that have what I want. Plan on getting email contact for each one and sending a single email to all asking the following:

Including a few dealers in this email, I’m interested in purchasing a new car by the end of next week. I’m shopping around for the best price on a "car details here-". Please provide a price with a breakdown of all fees. I also would like to be informed of any rebates or incentives that are available.

I am preapproved for financing but open to financing through the dealership if you can provide a better rate.

Does this sound like a solid plan?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
I bought my 2019 GTI SE DSG w/ Experience Packageat the end of OCT $5000 under sticker price which was $35,070. (I paid $30,070)