GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI SE

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
you guys seems to know a good deal about this buying process. This is my first time buying a new car. I'm putting together a list of all the dealers within a couple hours of me that have what I want. Plan on getting email contact for each one and sending a single email to all asking the following:

Including a few dealers in this email, I’m interested in purchasing a new car by the end of next week. I’m shopping around for the best price on a "car details here-". Please provide a price with a breakdown of all fees. I also would like to be informed of any rebates or incentives that are available.

I am preapproved for financing but open to financing through the dealership if you can provide a better rate.

Does this sound like a solid plan?

Sounds pretty good. Watch out for the finance department because that is where they will try to sell you an extended warranty at a high price. They will tell you the car has multiple computers that cost big $. I bought a Toyota one time and they started out at $2300 for the extended warranty and I kept saying no and ultimately came down to $600.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
use an alias email! what Jim said about the add-ons.

just before you sign try to get an extra key. Full tank of gas...No dealer stickers on car. Everything in writing!!!!

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
You guys had any luck with dealer swaps or do they normally try to stick bunch of shipping charges on you?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
You guys had any luck with dealer swaps or do they normally try to stick bunch of shipping charges on you?

Depends on your dealer and sales guy.

I have bought two GTIs from the same dealer. When i was in the market for a Rabbit this year, they didn have any vehicle in that particular trim. They found the vehicle of my choice with a dealer who was 2 hours away and they did the swap without any additional charge.

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
I got a deal on my new 19 autobahn. I forget exactly how much but it was 6000-6500 off sticker. Sales guy was cool, manager was cool. Get DCC if you can, you wont regret it. Don't be afraid to drive for a deal.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
If you are in IL, Dec will be the best time to buy if you have a trade in that is over $10k in value, as those tax incentives are going away.

Prices in Feb-May generally trend upwards a bit due to increased consumer demand from people flush with tax return money who now have more money available for a down-payment. Increased demand = higher prices.

Finally, I wouldn't sweat a few hundred dollars on a $30k vehicle when it comes out to $5/month. Go with the dealer that gives a fair price, treats you well, and doesn't have a poor reputation.

I just drove to St. Louis this past weekend to buy one of the last 2019 VW Beetle Convertibles for my wife. Bommarito VW in Hazelwood. Jason Kresko was my sales consultant, and he was easy to work with via text and email to figure out the pricing and financing ahead of time. No surprises when I arrived, and it was a very simple and quick process. Their new cars do come included with a 10 year 200k powertrain warranty valid at any VW dealer nationwide if that matters to you. It was absolutely worth the 4 hour drive there. Looks like they have 6 remaining 2019 GTI SE in inventory. Anyway, call and ask for Jason 314-731-7777. Feel free to mention that Dan and Amy with the Beetle convertible referred you. Good luck!

Nargil

I got my 2019 GTI SE with Exprience package a few weeks back. It was preowned with 1k mileage on it. MSRP was 34k but I paid 26k. I got two years of extra warranty on top of 6 years/72000 because of the car being pre-owned which is nice. I'm very happy with the car

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I got my 2019 GTI SE with Exprience package a few weeks back. It was preowned with 1k mileage on it. MSRP was 34k but I paid 26k. I got two years of extra warranty on top of 6 years/72000 because of the car being pre-owned which is nice. I'm very happy with the car

Nice deal. Did they increase the mileage on the warranty also?

amgvw

just saw 2020 info - looks like pricing is up a little bit: SE w/ 7-speed DSG is $32,995 up from $32,895 and the destination charge is going to $920 from $895.
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinsp...019/12/MY2020_Retail_Order_Guide_US_gti-1.pdf
not a big jump, but still.

FWIW, i like the cloth seats better and was on the fence about a sunroof, but i still went for the SE. def. glad i did the experience package - the stereo is pretty dang good and i like the DCC.

also - i'd skip the email. figure out how far you're willing to travel and then use the dealer websites to find the car(s) you would actually buy. call the dealer and confirm that the car is in inventory via the VIN and stock #.

at that point, get a picture of the window sticker so you can figure out how the car is optioned. then hit edmunds to get an idea of TMV for your zip code.

FWIW - i checked bommarito. i looked at a black SE w/ an MSRP of $35,425:
$33,790 base price + dest
$860 experience package
$325 rearview mirror w/ homelink, auto-dimming.
$235 monster mat/trunk liner/cargo blocks
$215 vw care 10k/20k services
$35,425

personally, i wouldn't go after that car because of the $540 in options i don't want (rearview mirror, vw care). but for the sake of argument, bommarito has the price at $30,883. looks like they have a $199 doc processing fee, so you're at $31k before title, taxes, and tags. edmunds TMV is right around there, so not the best market to buy in - for comparison, the NOVA market TMV is $1k less.

i'd open with a written offer for $28,500 and see where it goes.

FWIW, i got OTD at 30k flat and that's with a $799 doc processing fee, but NOVA is a high volume market and this was my 2nd deal w/ the same salesperson in a couple of years. my price on the car itself was right around 28k - $35,135 MSRP ($33,790 base +dest and then experience package $860 + monster mat set $235 + bumperdillo $150 + luggage net $100).

Also, there isn’t really a trim on 2019 gti that made me want to run out and get one fast. The rabbit is good but is lacking Sirius radio and head unit is very dated for 2019 car, which is expected since the model has been around since 2013, plus you can’t even find them now unless used.

SE I would be paying a good amount more and includes items I don’t really want/need; leather,, sunroof, DCC.

You have to make a compromise somewhere though. I have seen quite a few SE’s in my area.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
I checked with a dealer who has one of the last new rabbits, they want full msrp and wont do a swap. Guy thinks he's got a ford GT

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
also - i'd skip the email. figure out how far you're willing to travel and then use the dealer websites to find the car(s) you would actually buy. call the dealer and confirm that the car is in inventory via the VIN and stock #.

This. Do not rely solely on the search sites like cargurus, etc. You'll miss a lot of opportunities.

smbstyle

Ready to race!
just saw 2020 info - looks like pricing is up a little bit: SE w/ 7-speed DSG is $32,995 up from $32,895 and the destination charge is going to $920 from $895.
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinsp...019/12/MY2020_Retail_Order_Guide_US_gti-1.pdf
not a big jump, but still.

FWIW, i like the cloth seats better and was on the fence about a sunroof, but i still went for the SE. def. glad i did the experience package - the stereo is pretty dang good and i like the DCC.

at that point, get a picture of the window sticker so you can figure out how the car is optioned. then hit edmunds to get an idea of TMV for your zip code.

FWIW - i checked bommarito. i looked at a black SE w/ an MSRP of $35,425:
$33,790 base price + dest
$860 experience package
$325 rearview mirror w/ homelink, auto-dimming.
$235 monster mat/trunk liner/cargo blocks
$215 vw care 10k/20k services
$35,425

personally, i wouldn't go after that car because of the $540 in options i don't want (rearview mirror, vw care). but for the sake of argument, bommarito has the price at $30,883. looks like they have a $199 doc processing fee, so you're at $31k before title, taxes, and tags. edmunds TMV is right around there, so not the best market to buy in - for comparison, the NOVA market TMV is $1k less.

i'd open with a written offer for $28,500 and see where it goes.

FWIW, i got OTD at 30k flat and that's with a $799 doc processing fee, but NOVA is a high volume market and this was my 2nd deal w/ the same salesperson in a couple of years. my price on the car itself was right around 28k - $35,135 MSRP ($33,790 base +dest and then experience package $860 + monster mat set $235 + bumperdillo $150 + luggage net $100).

Care to share details on the dealer who gave 28k on a 19 SE? In the market and am looking for a reasonable DC area dealer to talk to for good pricing. Im in Atlanta but travel often and will drive it back within 1000 mile radius

amgvw

sent a profile post/pm.

Care to share details on the dealer who gave 28k on a 19 SE? In the market and am looking for a reasonable DC area dealer to talk to for good pricing. Im in Atlanta but travel often and will drive it back within 1000 mile radius

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie

I eventually bought mine at Ourisman VW in Waldorf, MD. There are many dozens of VW dealerships in the area, Ourisman is one of the big area dealers with many shops all over. Eric Cushing is the sales gentleman that I worked with.

This group and Eric were very easy to work with over the phone and online for me. Some I visited and called, and I like the people in Waldorf the most, because they would deal over the phone (~30+ miles from me. pretty much as far as I wanted to go, lol). Pretty much all other dealers were trying to shove me into an office or just refused to talk prices over the phone.

Got my 2019 SE MT + Exp Package for $29.5k OTD, no trade-in, over the phone. I actually offered 28.5k and they wouldn't entertain that; started at $31k, from 34.5k sticker. They called me back two days later after I ignored them a bit and we worked out the 29.5k Monday morning, I drove out there that afternoon and picked it up.

Last edited:

smbstyle

Ready to race!
I eventually bought mine at Ourisman VW in Waldorf, MD. There are many dozens of VW dealerships in the area, Ourisman is one of the big area dealers with many shops all over. Eric Cushing is the sales gentleman that I worked with.

This group and Eric were very easy to work with over the phone and online for me. Some I visited and called, and I like the people in Waldorf the most, because they would deal over the phone (~30+ miles from me. pretty much as far as I wanted to go, lol). Pretty much all other dealers were trying to shove me into an office or just refused to talk prices over the phone.

Got my 2019 SE MT + Exp Package for $29.5k OTD, no trade-in, over the phone. I actually offered 28.5k and they wouldn't entertain that; started at $31k, from 34.5k sticker. They called me back two days later after I ignored them a bit and we worked out the 29.5k Monday morning, I drove out there that afternoon and picked it up.
Perfect that is great info! That is one dealer i was looking at as well, and good to have a contact that I can reach out to.