GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
OK, cool so the gold bottles are Castro. Who makes the 508 spec oil for VW in the black bottles?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
So if I buy the oil linked below, it will probably be fine despite not having the 508 spec? Much more affordable if so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J00X5YO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_C8HKAAY3341F8P9HCEMA

Hell maybe I'll just get this one. I change my oil every 5k anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5S1D15/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_87J7D6YH3E19DER6Z26W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or even cheaper, Kirkland signature. 20 quarts for 65 bucks and I'm sure it's just as good as any other oil listed here.
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...or-oil-5-quart,-4-pack.product.100687280.html

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
So if I buy the oil linked below, it will probably be fine despite not having the 508 spec? Much more affordable if so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J00X5YO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_C8HKAAY3341F8P9HCEMA

Hell maybe I'll just get this one. I change my oil every 5k anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5S1D15/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_87J7D6YH3E19DER6Z26W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or even cheaper, Kirkland signature. 20 quarts for 65 bucks and I'm sure it's just as good as any other oil listed here.
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-0w-20-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart,-4-pack.product.100687280.html
If you are going outside of the VW508 approved oils, why are you going to stick with the 20wt? My recommendation would be for a VW504 5W-30 with a MUCH higher HT/HS and make it worth your while for the added protection.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
If you are going outside of the VW508 approved oils, why are you going to stick with the 20wt? My recommendation would be for a VW504 5W-30 with a MUCH higher HT/HS and make it worth your while for the added protection.
I was planning on sticking with the 20wt because I've always been told to stick with the recommended oil viscosity. So I figured if I'm not going to be getting 508 the very least I can do is stick to the required weight.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I was planning on sticking with the 20wt because I've always been told to stick with the recommended oil viscosity. So I figured if I'm not going to be getting 508 the very least I can do is stick to the required weight.
Actually, you should follow manufacturer approval regardless of the viscosity. This is what can be so damn frustrating with VW's recommendations of different weight oils. Folks tend to use viscosity over approval because they think as long as it's xW-whatever, they are good to go when in fact its the approval that counts.

Mercedes recommends only oils meeting approval and never mentions weights/viscosities. Makes it much simpler. 508.00 oils are all 0W-20s, but not all 0w-20s are 508.00 ;).

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm using VW's previous 2015 to 2018 specs, because I dont want to run 0w-20 on track in Florida and early on when I bought my car, prior to the two ECU patches, it's the only way I could get my car to run correctly. I reset all adaptions and switched to heavier oil and my stalling and acceleration stumbles below 3500 rpms went away.

I'm at 24k miles, no issues.

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Short of a catastrophic engine failure requiring a VW inspector from corporate showing up, they're not going to bother with testing your oil's viscosity. Again, 502/504 for hard use and 508/509 for MPG's. It's really that simple.

Relevant info from Fuchs: https://www.fuchs.com/fileadmin/sch..._from_FUCHS_for__VW_508_00-509_00_02-2017.pdf

The 508/509 spec was literally designed as a lower viscosity spec for fuel savings and extended change intervals, that's it.
👆👆
Forgot dude was a VW engineer 🙄
APR even recommended the 0w20 for cars running Stage 1 and 2. So why do people keep saying to skip what the engineers say to use and go by what they "think" is best. Just cracks me up. 🤣

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
👆👆
APR even recommended the 0w20 for cars running Stage 1 and 2. So why do people keep saying to skip what the engineers say to use and go by what they "think" is best. Just cracks me up. 🤣
Because oil getting really hot on track in a car not designed for track.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
👆👆
Because the internet. hahahaah. But seriously, when a vehicle that took 40W all of a sudden now takes 20W with the same engine, you ask questions. The answer is CAFE. The manufacturers are meeting CAFE standards by running the thinnest oils they can - for many makes, the same engine overseas will run a thicker oil than in the U.S. The R still takes the 30W 504s (which will have about the same properties as a 502 40W) Will it harm anything? Likely no for normal use but if you are beating on your GTI or tracking it, run a thicker oil for the max protection. It's not debatable that the HTHS of the 40W is better than a 20.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Fact. My 2019 GTI came with 508 oil. When it was changed at 4000 miles, it looked just like all used oil. I've been on 5w-40 since 4000 miles, because I track the car in Florida. Car has been driven hard for 14,000 miles with 5w-40. My 2018 S has 22,000 miles, also with 5w-40, as that and 5w-30 are recommended by factory.

Since they literally have the same engine, with the exception of an additional tooth on the oil pump, it'll be fine.

That's the facts.
27,000 miles on 5w-40, my 2019 hasn't exploded.

2018 S is now at 31,000, it's using same oil. All is well.

It's almost like they have the same engine or something.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Because the internet. hahahaah. But seriously, when a vehicle that took 40W all of a sudden now takes 20W with the same engine, you ask questions. The answer is CAFE. The manufacturers are meeting CAFE standards by running the thinnest oils they can - for many makes, the same engine overseas will run a thicker oil than in the U.S. The R still takes the 30W 504s (which will have about the same properties as a 502 40W) Will it harm anything? Likely no for normal use but if you are beating on your GTI or tracking it, run a thicker oil for the max protection. It's not debatable that the HTHS of the 40W is better than a 20.
But it isn't EXACTLY the same motor now is it? Different rings, different oil pump, there is just enough different to warrant different required oil. Yes one can argue the 0w20 oil is for fuel economy, I would agree. Yet this doesn't explain why APR and Unitronic both recommend the use of 508 in their stage I and II and some Stage 3 Builds??

Oil now a days is much better than it was. Heck Formula 1 race teams run a 10W in some of their cars, granted they get rebuilt after every race, but the point being, there is an assumption that the Ow20 can't protect the engine? I disagree with that. If you track your car? Get an Oil cooler, if your engine is totally modified with pistons, rods and what not?? Then go by what the builder says. Stock everything? Use What VW says. If your Tuned, use what the Tuners recommend. At this point. it all points to 508 for 99.9% of the folks out there.