GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Understood.
BTW, I wish I didn't have the Performance Breaks or I'd go with your set-up with 17x8.5!

Are you talking about factory PP? They have a ton of room with the RSe16's. I love these wheels for the price, weight, size. I bought another set and they're still in the box waiting for me to decide which track tire I want to use next. I'm waiting to see how the new RE71RS's will do on track. The Aussies seem to really like them. I can't wait until they're released in the US. If they don't get released before next season starts, I'll do RE71R's for autocross and RS4 for track. I don't have enough camber or a wife that will be ok with A052's, even though they're stupid fast for autocross, but our primary site is an old cheese grater of an asphalt runway. We've had guys swap back and forth with R comps and 200tw and see very little difference in times and grip. It's a terrible surface. I might even be fine with RS4's out there.

Last edited:

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Are you talking about factory PP? They have a ton of room with the RSe16's. I love these wheels for the price, weight, size. I bought another set and they're still in the box waiting for me to decide which track tire I want to use next. I'm waiting to see how the new RE71RS's will do on track. The Aussies seem to really like them. I can't wait until they're released in the US. If they don't get released before next season starts, I'll do RE71R's for autocross and RS4 for track. I don't have enough camber or a wife that will be ok with A052's, even though they're stupid fast for autocross and our primary site is an old cheese grater of an asphalt runway. We've had guys swap back and forth with R comps and 200tw and see very little difference in times and grip. It's a terrible surface. I might even be fine with RS4's out there.
I just haven't spent any time delving into wheel fitament and Yes, the factory PP. Hella good to know that I can option for the 8.5 and still have clearance.
Ha! Wifey no happy with your turning "Gs" eh? LOL

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I just haven't spent any time delving into wheel fitament and Yes, the factory PP. Hella good to know that I can option for the 8.5 and still have clearance.
Ha! Wifey no happy with your turning "Gs" eh? LOL

She's cool with my hobby, as long as I stay within the agreed upon budget. That's what you get marrying an MBA that wants us to retire at 55. I'll keep her though. She keeps me from spending 50k on a 20k car. Lol.

And on a sad note, I think the RSe16's have been discontinued. That's why I snapped up 2 sets. They'll fit most BBKs up to 355mm without spacers.

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
So is there a consensus that 0w-20 508 is the correct oil to run? I’ve got a stock ‘21 GTI and just did the first oil change at 7k miles with some the liqui moly top tech 508 0w-20 kit from fcpeuro. Seems like I shouldn’t be worried about that for the winter months but I’m in Arizona tho so with fairly high summer temps I’m curious if I should use a different weight in the summer? Thanks!

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
AzTRgti, I would recommend that you just stick with the 0W-20 VW spec 508 oil. Heck, I track my GTI in Florida and I still have no good reason to deviate.

P.S. If you are really worried about high oil temps, you might want to look into the EQT stage 1 OTS tune. I think the revision V2.51 has slightly lower oil target temps, by maybe 10 F lower than stock. Just a thought.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
AzTRgti, I would recommend that you just stick with the 0W-20 VW spec 508 oil. Heck, I track my GTI in Florida and I still have no good reason to deviate.

P.S. If you are really worried about high oil temps, you might want to look into the EQT stage 1 OTS tune. I think the revision V2.51 has slightly lower oil target temps, by maybe 10 F lower than stock. Just a thought.
If you're stock, tuning will only raise your oil temp. More power = more heat. Target temps can be lower all you want but when you use the right pedal you will heat more.

Are you having an issue with your oil? If not, why change? The lighter spec oil cars have a different oil pump as I understand. Oil pumps are designed to operate most efficiently at certain viscosities of oil. Yours is built for 212-220 degrees of 5w20 with some flex built in up and down. As long as you average in that range, you don't burn oil, and you're not spiking it much higher occasionally to shear it you're fine to continue on. If you're going to be averaging 245*F a lot then you might consider moving up to a 5w30 if you're seeing issues with oiling delivery. Spending tons of time on track and getting a low oil light? Might be time for a race oil.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Agree, stick with the 508.00 spec.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

The EQT tune lowers coolant temps also by 10-15*. The Sneeky tunes lower oil and coolant temps also.

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Ap

Appreciate the response! I’m not too worried about the oil temps as I never see them too high. Maybe 235 on a 100+ degree day pushing it on canyon roads. Just curious what the community runs.

I’m actually about to go IE stage 1 just ordered it last night any word on that tune helping?

AzTRgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
The EQT tune lowers coolant temps also by 10-15*. The Sneeky tunes lower oil and coolant temps also.
I wanted to go with EQT but they still haven’t launched their 2021 tune as far as I know. Something about software changes that they had to account for. Tired of waiting so went IE

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wanted to go with EQT but they still haven’t launched their 2021 tune as far as I know. Something about software changes that they had to account for. Tired of waiting so went IE
If you decide to go back to the Cobb Access Port try Sneeky instead.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
After quite a bit of researching 508 oils (interested cuz I own the Tig), I have personally come to the conclusion that it is a fantastic spec, regardless of brand, for 99% of the folks out there requiring it. What some folks that really push their 508 spec cars hard do though, is to use a thin 504/507 or mix the two. The 504 (0W/5W-30) mixture that seems most popular is using same brand oils used for VW "dealer" 508, which is Mobil 1 ESP. Mixing same oil essentially eliminates any issues and allows for a portion to retain the dye marker for warranty fears.

The main reason for using a mix/straight is due to higher HTHS of the 504. Don't give a flip what anyone says about the engineering involved in specing/using a lower visc oil, or how good the oil/add pack is, the physics involved in a FI/DI engine remains the same and places an extraordinary load on the oil, which WILL lead to film breakdown quickly. Higher HTHS combats this very well in the higher stressed applications. The use of low sulphur fuels these days makes using a 504/507 a moot point.

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Folks buying 508.00 oil - check with your dealer. Last time I changed the Rabbit’s oil, they’d switched from the Castrol in the gold bottles, to VW branded stuff in black bottles. The VW stuff was considerably less expensive - I think about $7/bottle. It has been a while but the gold bottle Castrol was more like $11.

Last edited: