GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Disconnecting a simple electrical connector on the side of the battery doesn't take a tool or modification to the configuration. Yes start/stop is a feature that is based on the CAFE standards. But hey wouldn't make it as easy to disconnect if it was a necessityt. Other brands have it and it can't be disabled very easily. Plus they wouldn't provide a button to turn it off if it was required to meet CAFE standards.

Defeating start/stop is not the topic of the thread....other threads exist discussing the topic. This thread topic is VW 508 oil spec and why the owner's manual uses terms as "required"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Defeating start/stop is not the topic of the thread....other threads exist discussing the topic. This thread topic is VW 508 oil spec and why the owner's manual uses terms as "required"

OK but you were the one who brought it up and said that it couldn't be defeated. 😂

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
OK but you were the one who brought it up and said that it couldn't be defeated. 😂
Context: the car's stock manufactured condition cannot start/stop cannot permanently be defeated only temporarly. If the manufacturer installed a permanent defeat device they would not comply with government CAFE standard. Again your missing the point of how I stated the information in the thread reply. I never stated start/stop, under no circumstances could/could not be defeated.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Could the 0w20 and the change of ECU tune be for better emissions? I have a 2018 manual and I drove a 2019 manual and it had a bit of rev hang. My 2018 has none.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
When I went for my first oil change on my 2019 about two months ago , asked for 0w40 and the dealership was all good with that , will see long time effect, so far so good , only putted 4000km since

If the dealer does it, you’re probably ok if any issues arise... I change my own, so if I put something else (and by some small chance they were to figure it out) I would be covered. So far, with the 0w20, my car has run fine.

rst

Car(s)
2020 gti
Hi Guys,

If I may resurrect the thread;
here is what they allow in UK

Petrol engines with particulate filter

• Flexible Service VW 508 00 or alternatively VW 504 00

• Fixed Service VW 508 00 or alternatively VW 504 00
Petrol engines without particulate filter
  • Flexible Service VW 508 00 or alternatively VW 504 00

• Fixed Service VW 502 00

3 different specs allowed, I assume any of 502, 504, 508 will work fine in 2019+ US sold GTIs

I have a question to ones who run 2019+ GTI on 502 spec:
does the oil work ok?

rallymaniac555

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI S MT
Interesting thread and a lot of good info here. Citing the manual as a all knowing document should be questioned since the manufacturer doesn't care much about the longevity of the engine as long as its engineers calculate that switching over to the 0W20 oil will result in more wear but will still not cause problems for engines during the powertrain warranty period.
If the offset for paying the CAFE penalties is that engines start failing now at 80k miles vs. 100k miles, then they will go for it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Interesting thread and a lot of good info here. Citing the manual as a all knowing document should be questioned since the manufacturer doesn't care much about the longevity of the engine as long as its engineers calculate that switching over to the 0W20 oil will result in more wear but will still not cause problems for engines during the powertrain warranty period.
If the offset for paying the CAFE penalties is that engines start failing now at 80k miles vs. 100k miles, then they will go for it.
Why would you think that a thinner oil would cause more wear? It's all about temperature range and tolerance. If you run a heavy oil like a 40 - 60 weight you will have less oil making it to bearings, cams, etc until it warms up if the engine is specd for a thinner oil.

Imo, your oil needs to match your regular operating range. If you add an oil cooler and have a thermostat that opens at a low temp like 186F, then during winter you will definitely want to run a 20w oil because thick oil + low temps + boost will lead to significant wear. Conversely, if you're running on track at 250F+ and pushing the car regularly, running that 40 or 60w is important to keep pressure up and the small nooks lubed.

If you're just driving on the street and not driving in 120*F weather, then stock thickness should be fine. As to why vw made the change and how it affects (not effects) emissions, it's all based on use case. Average drive times are lower with rising fuel costs and time to heat up modern engines is longer due to larger amounts of ethanol being introduced into the fuel mix, and slightly richer mixtures at lower revs to prevent low rpm knock with small engine+big turbo configurations.

There's no one size fits all setup, but vw tries to make that happen where they can for mass production reasons.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
In a 2.0L / 121cc engine you have 5.7L of oil. No problem with pressure.
Lighter grade oil is flowing faster and pumping more fluidly than heavier grade oil. Heavier grade will also hold heat longer.
Lighter weight oil(specifically 0w-20) is Full Synthetic and protects against LSPI and lubricates everything that needs to be lubricated efficiently and with very little friction.
If a person pushes their engine oil above 250-260* on a regular basis, then they would be on a race track or simply have a wanton disregard for anyone else on the road.
The majority of drivers that ponder over oil weight, conduct sooner OCIs than factory recommends anyway.
Remember:
An automotive manufacturer lists the grade of oil that they have tested to be the most efficient in an application. They can only recommend specific brands because that was paid for by that specific brand manufacturer.
A 0w-20 is a 0w-20 no matter who’s name is on the label. Just because a bottle of oil says Titanium or 20,000mi change interval does not hold any weight (no pun intended). Marketing is huge, don’t fall into their cycle.
Whatever oil is chosen, just ensure that it is Full Synthetic - Not hybrid and Not only petroleum based and you’ll be protected.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Ok, so trying to condense what a dozen oil threads have discussed for my purposes...

My 2019 manual says to use VW 508.00 spec 0w-20. While in stock form, I can use 508.00 spec 0w-20 or 504.00 spec 5w-30 and the only believed detriment would be fuel economy.

Once bolted and tuned, it is a good idea to at least continue running 504.00 spec 5w-30 or switch to 502.00 spec 5w-40. I base that largely off the fact that that's what the manual says to run in the same MY Golf R

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
@Ezekiel81923
Entertain yourself with an individuals own "due dilegence" with testing various brand oils and explaining in nausium the facts incorporated behind oil.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Use the F3 or CTRL F to open the SEARCH box in the upper right to quickly locate what you may be looking for. Makes it easier instead of scrolling.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Ok, so trying to condense what a dozen oil threads have discussed for my purposes...

My 2019 manual says to use VW 508.00 spec 0w-20. While in stock form, I can use 508.00 spec 0w-20 or 504.00 spec 5w-30 and the only believed detriment would be fuel economy.

Once bolted and tuned, it is a good idea to at least continue running 504.00 spec 5w-30 or switch to 502.00 spec 5w-40. I base that largely off the fact that that's what the manual says to run in the same MY Golf R

I wouldn't run the 5w-30, the GTI has always called for a 0/5w-40. The R uses 30.
0w-20 is stated for fuel economy, but I switched to the normal 0w-40 I ran in my 2017 and have been running it for 7,000 miles now (5k OCI) and actually saw improved gas mileage. I live in the desert and push the car sometimes (plan on making it a track car aswell); in my first 5k miles (factory fill) the 0w-20 burned about 1.5qts and in the second 5k miles it burned another quart (dealer change before I got my garage). In the 7k since I switched back to 0w-40 it hasn't burned a drop, add that to the better fuel mileage (as a medical courier), smoother idle, and quieter engine and I'd say its a winning decision. I also believe that the 40 will provide better protection in my environment over the 20, which clearly tended to burn off on me quite quickly.

The 0w-40 I use is one of the better base stocks available and has what is considered to be a top additive package, and an oil change costs me roughly $23 in oil (plus another $10 for the filter) which is pretty economical for 5k changes; or changing every track day. All of this is ATMO of course, do with it what you will.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I wouldn't run the 5w-30, the GTI has always called for a 0/5w-40. The R uses 30.
0w-20 is stated for fuel economy, but I switched to the normal 0w-40 I ran in my 2017 and have been running it for 7,000 miles now (5k OCI) and actually saw improved gas mileage. I live in the desert and push the car sometimes (plan on making it a track car aswell); in my first 5k miles (factory fill) the 0w-20 burned about 1.5qts and in the second 5k miles it burned another quart (dealer change before I got my garage). In the 7k since I switched back to 0w-40 it hasn't burned a drop, add that to the better fuel mileage (as a medical courier), smoother idle, and quieter engine and I'd say its a winning decision. I also believe that the 40 will provide better protection in my environment over the 20, which clearly tended to burn off on me quite quickly.

The 0w-40 I use is one of the better base stocks available and has what is considered to be a top additive package, and an oil change costs me roughly $23 in oil (plus another $10 for the filter) which is pretty economical for 5k changes; or changing every track day. All of this is ATMO of course, do with it what you will.

Thanks for the insight. I always ran 5w-40 in my turbo cars before this with no problems so was hoping to keep running it. I can spring for a VW spec 5w-40 to make me feel like I'm still doing what I'm told.