GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
Just picked up my 2019 GTI this evening. First thing I noticed when i popped the hood was the sticker specifying 508 0W-20 oil. Searched and didn't see any threads talking about it so thought I'd get the word out. Not sure what the best options are for this yet.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
It’s the same exact engine as previous gti’s, I would just run 5w-40. The only reason they recommend 0w-20 over 5w-40 is fuel economy. Toyota did the same thing with the 2gr-fe 3.5 v6, it was 5w-30 then switched to 0w-20. I would run the 502.00 oil, it’s what it was designed to run on.

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
It’s the same exact engine as previous gti’s, I would just run 5w-40. The only reason they recommend 0w-20 over 5w-40 is fuel economy. Toyota did the same thing with the 2gr-fe 3.5 v6, it was 5w-30 then switched to 0w-20. I would run the 502.00 oil, it’s what it was designed to run on.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I haven't made up my mind yet to do this or not, mainly due to warranty denial concerns. Something to think about for sure as likely the 5w-40 provides better protection.

H

Huntermike

Keep in mind they are still recommending 502 00 or 504 00 for the ‘19 Golf R.

I would just use a 502 because they’re common and cheap.

Rumor has it the 508 00 oil has a green dye in it that is supposed to last the duration of the OCI.

I started a thread at BITOG about it.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
My wife's new Tiguan which also has an EA888 engine (tho that runs the Budack timing) requires 0-20w.. I think this is the new way of thinking for VW. I put exactly what it says to put in, cos those German Engineers, well they know a thing or two more than me, especially with all their test engines and equipment they have access too ;)

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
My wife's new Tiguan which also has an EA888 engine (tho that runs the Budack timing) requires 0-20w.. I think this is the new way of thinking for VW. I put exactly what it says to put in, cos those German Engineers, well they know a thing or two more than me, especially with all their test engines and equipment they have access too ;)

It's not new. It's their lesson they learned from the Longitudinal 1.8T Sludge fiasco.

The owner's manual (drawing from memory) stated oil meets one or more of the following:
5w30 or 5w40
VW502.00
or ACEA A3/B4

which meant Castrol GTX 5w30 was acceptable. After that fiasco, VW and Audi changed it to has to meet VW502.00

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
What if you used 0W40 European Formula? That's what I'm using as it's VW502 certified. Does the manual say you can use VW 502?

I think with the 0W20 oil, you just have to make sure it doesn't burn oil. I'm sure the engineers tested it to make sure it's ok to use before recommending it. It's been used in other high performance VAG engines after all.

Discussion on Audi Sport
Discussion on Audi World

Edit: I think it's possible they made some internal changes to the engine so you're better off running 0W20 VW 508.

Last edited:

greens

Ready to race!
What if you used 0W40 European Formula? That's what I'm using as it's VW502 certified. Does the manual say you can use VW 502?

I think with the 0W20 oil, you just have to make sure it doesn't burn oil. I'm sure the engineers tested it to make sure it's ok to use before recommending it. It's been used in other high performance VAG engines after all.

Discussion on Audi Sport
Discussion on Audi World

Edit: I think it's possible they made some internal changes to the engine so you're better off running 0W20 VW 508.

It's environmental nonsense brought on by the silly CAFE standards in North America. I'm willing to wager that they have no such spec for cars in Europe and Asia where CAFE has no reach. I can almost guarantee you the GTI is still spec'd for 5W30/5W40 in those countries. If we have an EU board member would you please verify this?

You most certainly would not be better off running 0W20 in this motor. Nothing has changed internally on the EA888 for 2019 and the tolerances are the same from 2015 onward. I'd run a VW 502 oil like Castrol 0W40 and rest easy. Turbo shear is real and considering the motor is spinning 3K+ rpm at 80+ mph I wouldn't go anywhere near a 0W20. I assure you we will be reading about oil consumption very shortly from new 2019 owners adhering to this ridiculous 508 spec.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
It's environmental nonsense brought on by the silly CAFE standards in North America. I'm willing to wager that they have no such spec for cars in Europe and Asia where CAFE has no reach. I can almost guarantee you the GTI is still spec'd for 5W30/5W40 in those countries. If we have an EU board member would you please verify this?

508.00 was originally developed for Europe also and they have more options for 508.00 than the US.

For GTI, ClubSport, and R: (with and without particulate filter):
And it requires 508.00 if it has Flexible service intervals, as long as fuel meets EN228 standards. Fixed intervals still require 502.00

Evidence:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals

Copy the plate numbers from:
https://www.inchcape.co.uk/

Last edited:
Reactions: rst

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

You most certainly would not be better off running 0W20 in this motor. Nothing has changed internally on the EA888 for 2019 and the tolerances are the same from 2015 onward. I'd run a VW 502 oil like Castrol 0W40 and rest easy. Turbo shear is real and considering the motor is spinning 3K+ rpm at 80+ mph I wouldn't go anywhere near a 0W20. I assure you we will be reading about oil consumption very shortly from new 2019 owners adhering to this ridiculous 508 spec.

I spent the past hour or so reading about the VW 508 oil. Basically, it's already used in the VAG engines like the B9 Audi S4 and in a lot of VAG engines over in Europe. Motul makes 0W20 engine oil that meets the VW 508 standard so if I owned a 2019 GTI, I would just use the Motul oil. Besides, Motul is supposed to be better than Castrol (European Formula?) anyways.

Edit: Don't forget the 2019 GTI is more powerful than the 2018. Unless they're just re-rating the engine, chances are some internal improvements were done.

Last edited: