GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Please read. Reporting a post and getting someone banned are two separate things.

Stahp, everyone can read the PM you sent me. It's obvious your intent was to get me banned. If you have actual factual information about the green dye, please post it. If you don't, then stop derailing the thread. It's an oil thread, not a "everyone pay attention to dequardo" thread. If you want one of those, go start it in OT and you will get all the attention you want.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Those with early 2019 GTI's are painfully aware that 0w-20 was causing issues with the VVT, due to being so thin. VW has patched that issue with some success, but I'd imagine if you were to track a 0W-20, and the viscosity significantly dropped, you would again run into issue with oil pressure and the VVT's ability to function properly.

Moral of the story, don't track with 0w-20. Do daily drive with it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Try them both and verify whats best for YOU through analysis. Only way to do it.

In theory, that's completely legit. In practice, it might be hard to quantify in less than 50,000 - 100,000 miles of use. I don't think any difference you're going to see in analysis in 5000 to 10,000 miles is going to be statistically significant.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
In theory, that's completely legit. In practice, it might be hard to quantify in less than 50,000 - 100,000 miles of use. I don't think any difference you're going to see in analysis in 5000 to 10,000 miles is going to be statistically significant.

Nope, but point I was making is that is the only way to know for sure. Anything else is just guessing. Just like almost every thread here about oil ;). Both AW adds have their merits, but again, it's a toss-up over which would be "superior".

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yes. I have read through oil testing and the Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 had a thermal breakdown onset of 295*. That I believe is what you very well may be referring to.
I am in complete support of Amsoil products, just not into the pricing, and not nearly as aggressive in prolonged engine operation as you are :)
10w-60 is pretty dang heavy and the lower flow property of it will hold heat much longer. You are definitely in the extreme realm of operation bud and not knocking you for it whatsoever.
The more important piece is being mindful of the extremes the engine is being operated at, the duration, and refreshing the fluid. During higher ambient temps, the oil temp will drastically increase anyway.

I don't recall which Amsoil it was specifically, but a crew chief i know swears it can run 325* all day long. I get Amsoil for 10-11$/quart so it's really not terribly expensive. No it's not your 35$ autozone oil change kit, but when you're spending nearly 3 hrs per weekend at wot, that small oil cost difference isn't noticeable.

I was trying to fight blow by without a catch can first so I went to the heavier oil. At 248* 60w is equivalent in thickness to 40w @ 212*. Going down to a 40w blowby got way worse for sure. My bfi catch band-aided my blowby issues and allows me to run a thinner oil that the engine seems to like up until 265* (WITH an oil cooler). At 265, crazy amount of timing is pulled and this little tractor can't pass a miata at 65 mph. With the 60w and oil cooler i was still hitting about 265*, but timing was not pulled nearly as much.

I do very regular Blackstone tests because apparently I like wasting money, but so far the most noticeable impact to long term oil quality has not been the weight or brand of oil, but the air filter. My aftermarket air filter allows more sediment to pass through and thus taints the oil much faster. If you're looking for long life, stick to the oem filter.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Those with early 2019 GTI's are painfully aware that 0w-20 was causing issues with the VVT, due to being so thin. VW has patched that issue with some success, but I'd imagine if you were to track a 0W-20, and the viscosity significantly dropped, you would again run into issue with oil pressure and the VVT's ability to function properly.

Moral of the story, don't track with 0w-20. Do daily drive with it.
Nope, but point I was making is that is the only way to know for sure. Anything else is just guessing. Just like almost every thread here about oil ;). Both AW adds have their merits, but again, it's a toss-up over which would be "superior".
If I am not mistaken, I think most of the VVT issue had to do with overlapping of the chain? not so much the weight/grade of the oil.
The 19' thru 20' were designed for 0w-20, however, I think your true point is the level of power one is applying & the duration of it. On a stock block, I would halt if I saw oil temps above 270*

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
You wouldn't be wasting your money if you had someone other than Blackstone do your analysis and interpretation ;).

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
I don't recall which Amsoil it was specifically, but a crew chief i know swears it can run 325* all day long. I get Amsoil for 10-11$/quart so it's really not terribly expensive. No it's not your 35$ autozone oil change kit, but when you're spending nearly 3 hrs per weekend at wot, that small oil cost difference isn't noticeable.

I was trying to fight blow by without a catch can first so I went to the heavier oil. At 248* 60w is equivalent in thickness to 40w @ 212*. Going down to a 40w blowby got way worse for sure. My bfi catch band-aided my blowby issues and allows me to run a thinner oil that the engine seems to like up until 265* (WITH an oil cooler). At 265, crazy amount of timing is pulled and this little tractor can't pass a miata at 65 mph. With the 60w and oil cooler i was still hitting about 265*, but timing was not pulled nearly as much.

I do very regular Blackstone tests because apparently I like wasting money, but so far the most noticeable impact to long term oil quality has not been the weight or brand of oil, but the air filter. My aftermarket air filter allows more sediment to pass through and thus taints the oil much faster. If you're looking for long life, stick to the oem filter.
Very informative! I agree that when you get to that 265* that the oil passing over the bearings is much hotter than that. Perhaps that "crew chief" you referenced (or team rather) measures tempurature up in the CAM rather than from the SUMP? Who knows...but, I don't know of a Mass Produced Amsoil product that is going past 295* or so...maybe they have contracted with Amsoil to produce a specific product for their own application? similar to how F1 teams do..?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You wouldn't be wasting your money if you had someone other than Blackstone do your analysis and interpretation ;).
Haha! Probably true. Got someone else in mind??

If I invested into the equipment I could probably make some money back, honestly... I do have a degree in chemistry, lol. Not petroleum stuff, but plenty of experience with trace element analysis 😀.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If I am not mistaken, I think most of the VVT issue had to do with overlapping of the chain? not so much the weight/grade of the oil.
The 19' thru 20' were designed for 0w-20, however, I think your true point is the level of power one is applying & the duration of it. On a stock block, I would halt if I saw oil temps above 270*

There's a thread on the issue, but my understanding is that their are some pressure bleed valves in the VVT system that didn't like the 0w-20 and had to be reprogrammed.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Testoil is what I use. True closed cup fuel dilution, Fisher water FTIR, accurate abs unit sulphation, nitration and oxidation reads etc. Get my buddy Terry to do the interpretation ;).

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
There's a thread on the issue, but my understanding is that their are some pressure bleed valves in the VVT system that didn't like the 0w-20 and had to be reprogrammed.
Understood.
BTW, I wish I didn't have the Performance Breaks or I'd go with your set-up with 17x8.5!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

You'd literally have to own 2 GTI's, use under same conditions, and do analysis over 100k miles to make any kind of determination of which additive package is best, and I'd wager that the differences would be insignificant. At the end of the day, oil analysis is a great early warning system for pending engine issues, see Porsche IMS failure, but the vast majority of modern name brand synthetic oils are going to perform very similar in anything but the most extreme conditions.

I think several track days with different oil and getting an analysis could help determine which ones hold up best to tracking, but I think it's largely a waste for the average person to do oil analysis to compare additive packages effectiveness in normal use. Just my opinion, but looking at oil analysis results across thousands of samples available on the internet seems to support that theory.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Very informative! I agree that when you get to that 265* that the oil passing over the bearings is much hotter than that. Perhaps that "crew chief" you referenced (or team rather) measures tempurature up in the CAM rather than from the SUMP? Who knows...but, I don't know of a Mass Produced Amsoil product that is going past 295* or so...maybe they have contracted with Amsoil to produce a specific product for their own application? similar to how F1 teams do..?
Couldn't tell you where they measure the temp, but he was referencing their gt3 cars. He's a chief on an IMSA team and one other, I forget which.

That guy is a beast! He was doing an alignment for me in paddock over the weekend in 40* weather wearing jeans and a hoodie!! Karl Willen of RennsportKC. BEST mechanic I have EVER had! How many mechanics out there are willing to whip out smartstrings on the fly and not sit there trying to nickel and dime you first...? Not to mention I dropped off my car one day for him to throw coils on at 8am and he was dropping the engine in a 911. By 3pm he had my coils done and the 911 was put back together.