GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI: rear main seal leak

Sarhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI SE 6MT
2019 GTI, all stock, 9200 miles.

I saw a couple drops of oil on the garage floor so I took it in for the complimentary 10k service and mentioned oil leak.
They advised that the rear main seal is leaking. It’s being replaced under warranty as we speak.

That is all.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Brought my car (17 gti) to the dealer today for a coolant leak (assuming it was the thermostat housing/wp) and the service rep just informed me the RMS is leaking. I'm not clear if he meant it's leaking oil or coolant since I brought in for a coolant leak but everything I've seen talks about RMS leaking oil... and I don't see any oil drops on my garage floor.

He said he's waiting to hear back tomorrow morning about whether or not it will be covered under warranty (due to the "upgraded exhaust", car is also tuned). $1600 if it's not covered.

Has anyone gotten it replaced under warranty when tuned? Any ideas what an independent shop might charge?

Currently waiting for my car to be ready to get picked up so I can find out more info from them

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Brought my car (17 gti) to the dealer today for a coolant leak (assuming it was the thermostat housing/wp) and the service rep just informed me the RMS is leaking. He said he's waiting to hear back tomorrow morning about whether or not it will be covered under warranty (due to the "upgraded exhaust", car is also tuned). $1600 if it's not covered.

Has anyone gotten it replaced under warranty when tuned? Any ideas what an independent shop might charge?

I'm also not clear if he meant it's leaking oil or coolant since I brought in for a coolant leak but everything I've seen talks about RMS leaking oil... I don't see any oil drops on my garage floor. Currently waiting to get the call that my car is ready to be picked up
If it's the coolant leak they should cover that under warranty but the RMS might not be because of the tune. The exhaust shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Brought my car (17 gti) to the dealer today for a coolant leak (assuming it was the thermostat housing/wp) and the service rep just informed me the RMS is leaking. He said he's waiting to hear back tomorrow morning about whether or not it will be covered under warranty (due to the "upgraded exhaust", car is also tuned). $1600 if it's not covered.

I'm also not clear if he meant it's leaking oil or coolant since I brought in for a coolant leak but everything I've seen talks about RMS leaking oil... I don't see any oil drops on my garage floor. Currently waiting to get the call that my car is ready to be picked up
The rear main seal is the crankshaft seal, if it leaks it leaks oil, it may not be leaking enough yet to drop on the ground, it will get worse though.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So if my understanding is correct then it's attached to the clutch and essentially this would be the perfect time to finally upgrade the clutch as well (if it's not covered under warranty of course)

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
So if my understanding is correct then it's attached to the clutch and essentially this would be the perfect time to finally upgrade the clutch as well (if it's not covered under warranty of course)
It may be covered for 12k miles, but they would only give you another worthless stock replacement.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Even if covered, you might talk them into putting in a clutch you supply.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Even if covered, you might talk them into putting in a clutch you supply.
Thanks for the idea, I asked the service rep and he made it sound more than likely they can do that. I guess worst-case scenario if I do have to pay for the RMS repair at least I can consider some of that money used towards the clutch install

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thanks for the idea, I asked the service rep and he made it sound more than likely they can do that. I guess worst-case scenario if I do have to pay for the RMS repair at least I can consider some of that money used towards the clutch install
yeah honestly the only added time for a new clutch during the RMS is labor to unbolt and reinstall the TOB. They have to do the other process regardless to get to the rms.

So yeah 100% do it now.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
2019 GTI, all stock, 9200 miles.

I saw a couple drops of oil on the garage floor so I took it in for the complimentary 10k service and mentioned oil leak.
They advised that the rear main seal is leaking. It’s being replaced under warranty as we speak.

That is all.

My 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition DSG had a rear main seal leak at 8k miles. Replaced under warranty after 2 weeks of driving with dye added to the oil. At about 17k miles today with no leak visible from underside.

Corporate VW service team requested a dye to be added to my oil, drive for 2 weeks, confirm the leak was the RMS and not transmission related. They shine a black light to confirm it was oil and not trans/gear fluid as the oil dye reacts to the black light.