GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI: rear main seal leak

Sarhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI SE 6MT
Good news, the shop called this morning and said the rear main seal was NOT leaking, the leak is coming from the front diff lock.
Obviously still being fixed under the factory warranty.
Apologies to El_bigote for having to suffer thru another post, she’ll get over it I’m sure. :ROFLMAO:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Good news, the shop called this morning and said the rear main seal was NOT leaking, the leak is coming from the front diff lock.
Obviously still being fixed under the factory warranty.
Apologies to El_bigote for having to suffer thru another post, she’ll get over it I’m sure. :ROFLMAO:
Venmo or Apple Pay accepted....

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
got the call from the dealer, repairs will be covered under warranty. time to order up a new clutch (im thinking DKM stage 3) and do my happy-hombre dance

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
got the call from the dealer, repairs will be covered under warranty. time to order up a new clutch (im thinking DKM stage 3) and do my happy-hombre dance
You still in Vegas? you're welcome to feel the DKM twin disc in my car before you purchase, hate for you to spend all the money and not be fully satisfied ( read - as my case, lol )

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You still in Vegas? you're welcome to feel the DKM twin disc in my car before you purchase, hate for you to spend all the money and not be fully satisfied ( read - as my case, lol )
I am, and that would be awesome to get to try it before I buy it. I hadn't read anything before about the DKM getting stuck in gear until now (I assume that's what you're referring to). Before I was looking at the SouthBend and ACT clutches, ended up figuring I would go with DKM since that seemed to be the closest to OEM but now I'm not sure again... I'm open to recommendations

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Did you get them to install the iABED RMS instead of an OEM one?
It wasn't until after I hung up I realized I should've asked if they're going to replace it with the same piece or something stronger. I haven't scheduled an appointment just yet so I'll be sure to ask when I do. Even if I have to pay $120 for it out of pocket it'd be worth it for peace of mind

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Unless they install it wrong. I've seen a couple threads where shops screwed up the installation.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

Hey, what the hell? When do I get my turn? Bad enough you're still slacking on installing my clutch start bypass device (patent pending).

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Isn't it the same install as the OEM piece?
Yes and no... you have to be 100% sure the spring seal end is not rolled forward at the edge and the front seal is not rolled backwards.

Stock only has a single non spring tension seat. My guy at the dealer that did mine just used the same tool they use for the oem version and did make sure both seals were good but did say it was no exposure item due to it not being an oem.

I know in the past iabed has went to shops to shows them the way thier unit and the seal they use needs to be installed.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Yes and no... you have to be 100% sure the spring seal end is not rolled forward at the edge and the front seal is not rolled backwards.

Stock only has a single non spring tension seat. My guy at the dealer that did mine just used the same tool they use for the oem version and did make sure both seals were good but did say it was no exposure item due to it not being an oem.

I know in the past iabed has went to shops to shows them the way thier unit and the seal they use needs to be installed.

I literally couldn't understand how it was even possible to do it wrong when I did mine. Compared to what I've seen demo'd on how to do the OEM seal, the iAbed was a piece of piss. I actually practiced trying to put it on wrong and it wasn't easy to do. No idea how shops could botch it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I literally couldn't understand how it was even possible to do it wrong when I did mine. Compared to what I've seen demo'd on how to do the OEM seal, the iAbed was a piece of piss. I actually practiced trying to put it on wrong and it wasn't easy to do. No idea how shops could botch it.
yet, been done