GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI on sale today (12/11/2019)

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Just received the updated Volkswagen Credit Residual Values, which now includes the 2019 GTI. So, they should be available at your local dealers soon/already.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
And what are the residuals? TIA

Largely irrelevant since VW isn't offering special lease rates on them, and their standard rates are only for people who hate having money. I'll post them tomorrow, unless I get too busy and forget to.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Largely irrelevant since VW isn't offering special lease rates on them, and their standard rates are only for people who hate having money. I'll post them tomorrow, unless I get too busy and forget to.

lol what does that mean? i know VW leases pretty terribly anyway but i don't really understand how leasing works

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
lol what does that mean? i know VW leases pretty terribly anyway but i don't really understand how leasing works

The cost of a lease is determined by 3 things:

1) The lease rate/money factor (interest rate, essentially)
2) The residual value, i.e. how much they say the car will be worth at the end of your lease term

3) Capitalized Cost Reduction, or Lease Cash.

As it pertains to the GTI, VCI rarely (if ever) offers low lease rates, not much lease cash, and the residual values are average. So, combine a standard lease rate with no lease cash and an average residual value, and you wind up with monthly lease payments that aren't much lower than your monthly payments on a 60-month loan. In that scenario, there aren't any advantages to leasing, unless you know for certain that you'll want a different car in 3 years time.

cb1111

The cost of a lease is determined by 3 things:

1) The lease rate/money factor (interest rate, essentially)
2) The residual value, i.e. how much they say the car will be worth at the end of your lease term

3) Capitalized Cost Reduction, or Lease Cash.

As it pertains to the GTI, VCI rarely (if ever) offers low lease rates, not much lease cash, and the residual values are average. So, combine a standard lease rate with no lease cash and an average residual value, and you wind up with monthly lease payments that aren't much lower than your monthly payments on a 60-month loan. In that scenario, there aren't any advantages to leasing, unless you know for certain that you'll want a different car in 3 years time.
There is actually a 4th thing too - the negotiated price of the car.

For those not familiar with how leasing works:

You negotiate the price of the car as if you were buying it (you are buying part of it).

You decide on the cap cost reduction. That can be a trade or a down payment.

You determine the residual based on the percentage set by the manufacturer. That percentage is figured from the MSRP and not the negotiated price.

Accordingly, the lease cost is:

Negotiated price plus tax and tags and lease fees (if any) - minus

Cap cost reduction (although I usually call it a down payment - which it is - but cap cost reduction makes it sound like you're getting something) - minus

Residual.

That's the cost of the car after you add the cost of the "money factor" (a fancy name for interest rate), divide by the months in the lease and you've got your monthly payments.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
There is actually a 4th thing too - the negotiated price of the car.

For those not familiar with how leasing works:

You negotiate the price of the car as if you were buying it (you are buying part of it).

You decide on the cap cost reduction. That can be a trade or a down payment.

You determine the residual based on the percentage set by the manufacturer. That percentage is figured from the MSRP and not the negotiated price.

Accordingly, the lease cost is:

Negotiated price plus tax and tags and lease fees (if any) - minus

Cap cost reduction (although I usually call it a down payment - which it is - but cap cost reduction makes it sound like you're getting something) - minus

Residual.

That's the cost of the car after you add the cost of the "money factor" (a fancy name for interest rate), divide by the months in the lease and you've got your monthly payments.

Former car sales pro tip: Never put any money down on a lease. Always lease the full negotiated amount. You'll need gap insurance either through your insurer or from another source. If the car is ever totaled, gap insurance will pay off the car. You might not get any money back you put down if the car is totaled.

cb1111

Former car sales pro tip: Never put any money down on a lease. Always lease the full negotiated amount. You'll need gap insurance either through your insurer or from another source. If the car is ever totaled, gap insurance will pay off the car. You might not get any money back you put down if the car is totaled.
Right, any down payment is history if the car is totaled.

Dealers play all sorts of games. Capitalized cost reduction sounds like something you're getting and sounds far less intimidating than "down payment."

A "money factor of .0015" sounds far better than "3.6% interest rate"

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You'll need gap insurance either through your insurer or from another source. If the car is ever totaled, gap insurance will pay off the car. You might not get any money back you put down if the car is totaled.

Most leases already include GAP insurance (standard). Well the ones I've had thru VW Credit & GMAC/Ally/whatever

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

To add to this, read the Gap coverage/benefit.

Some Gap policies only pay a % of the gap.

You can also ask for the Loss Stip Table at the outset of your lease to see if your Gap coverage is sufficient.

Just remember, Insurance companies hate paying claims. So be skeptical.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
To add to this, read the Gap coverage/benefit.

Some Gap policies only pay a % of the gap.

You can also ask for the Loss Stip Table at the outset of your lease to see if your Gap coverage is sufficient.

Just remember, Insurance companies hate paying claims. So be skeptical.

Correct, make sure to read and understand your insurance policy. My auto insurance policy offers 100% replacement for three years from purchase. The cost of this coverage does increase quite a bit from year one to three.