GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019+ GTI Autobahn DSG daily, GS car, occasional track toy?

ApexEight

Car(s)
2008 Honda Civic Si
I can't believe I created an account here and am making this thread. I've been so sure that my next car would be a 2017+ Civic Type R (looking to upgrade in Fall or Winter '21), but I'm now seriously considering a 2019+ GTI Autobahn DSG for the following reasons:

1) The DSG would allow my wife to drive it.
- I've only ever owned stick shift cars, so this would be weird, but I like the practicality (I'm only 26 but feel old) and how my wife can drive it in a pinch. It's by all accounts a great transmission in terms of usability and performance with smart programming and fast response, so I think I'd be alright.

2) They're more affordable.
- I've been budgeting anywhere from sub-$30K to ~$38K for a used or new Type R. Limited searches have revealed 2019 Autobahns in the spec I'd want for a good amount less with less mileage to boot.

3) Styling
- I'll be honest, I love the way the Type R looks (have always been a JDM car guy), but it is over the top. The GTI's classic styling is nice, although it sometimes looks like a minivan. I really like the red accent strips along the headlights and front grill. Gives it some much needed visual aggressiveness imo. The interior is also a lot more grown up (cannot do the plaid seats, so I'd need leather which I believe is only available in SE and Autobahn), which I think my wife would appreciate (she's not a fan of the red Type R seats, but hey, it's my car).

The car would primarily be my daily driver for my commute to and from work (mix of local and highway, about 20 miles round-trip), and also a family vehicle (looking at having kids in a couple years). I would also like to semi-seriously campaign it in GS locally (think with Tier 2 ~200TW tires, not Tier 1 RE-71Rs), and also take it to a couple SCCA Track Night in America events a year (local to Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park). So that leads me to a bunch of questions.

1) How's the DSG for autocross and track use?
2) Do these cars have water and oil overheating issues on hot track days? This is a big issue with Type Rs.
3) How are the leather seats for performance driving? Do you slide around in them a lot?
4) Any common issues to look out for? Reliability is a huge priority for me.
5) Is the sunroof standard on SEs and Autobahns? How's headroom with a helmet? I'm 6', 200lbs with short legs and a longer torso and helmetroom is often an issue with sunroof-equipped vehicles.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but those are the ones I can think of now. I'd really appreciate any insight. Thanks!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
1) DSG works great on the track- especially in Manual mode. It’s one of the tools which allows me to continue performance driving (my left knee is shot)! Around town, DSG in D mode drives like an economy car. S mode gives you a bit more aggressive programming and blips of the throttle for downshifts under braking. Manual is how I prefer to drive the car all the time- most spirited experience, puts a smile on my face.

2) Keep an eye on temps. Run a bit thicker oil 5w-40 instead of 0w-20 for example to help mitigate. I usually go out for 20min, come back in to cool down then head out for a while longer.

3) don’t know (cloth on my car)

4) Performance Package calipers can do the job for the most part but need the appropriate pad and fluid. Heavy track use, PP calipers will see extreme heat, will probably be need upgrading. Upgrade intercooler would be wise if running any sort of power/ecu modification and sustained lapping.

5) don’t know (no sunroof on my car)

Coming from rwd sports cars, was surprised as to how well this tall, boxy front wheel drive platform performs on the road course!

Lastly, if you don’t know this already, hold down ASR off button for several seconds and you can disable most nannies.

Last edited:

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
I bought a 2017 GTI Sport DSG new in Jan 2017. I've done probably.. 30 autocrosses and 2-3 track days (at High Plains Raceway in Denver) with it. It has served me well but I am a little bored with it now. I might try to sell it or otherwise do a halfassed STH build for next year.

1) DSG is OK for autocross. It certainly upshifts quickly, so anywhere where you're accelerating flat-footed and hit that 1-2 or 2-3 (especially with an exhaust system you can actually hear like the Clubsport S muffler), it puts a smile on your face. Leave it in (Sport) auto mode and mash the throttle to make it downshift. The VAQ diff really is magic and seamlessly puts power down more than you might think it can. Every time I've tried to manually shift it it always ends up holding the wrong gear and blows the run. It IS pretty nice to literally not have to take your hands off the wheel and simply concentrate on driving. The biggest downside of the DSG is that you lose control and thus consistency. It upshifts great, but does not always downshift when you want it to; and again, you'd think manual control would help with that, but it doesn't. Without a TCU upgrade (illegal for GS and even STH until newly-proposed rules are OKed) it will still shift on its own. There is no gear indicator to tell you what gear you are in, either (TCU tunes can add that also).
On the track the DSG is great since you have more time to keep track of what gear you're in and shift when you want to. Temps can get hot, but if you're just doing leisurely sessions of 10-20 minutes and keeping an eye on temps you probably don't need to worry about it.
The PP brakes are great. I have 45K on my stock rotors and pads and they are still fine, rotors aren't warped, etc. I did upgrade to Motul fluid after the 1st track day, but surprisingly the stock pads were adequate.
My biggest complaint is that you can't access the rear strut towers so I have to leave my Konis stiffer in the rear than I'd like to for daily driving. :)

You mention "semi-seriously campaign it in GS locally (think with Tier 2 ~200TW tires, not Tier 1 RE-71Rs)". I wouldn't skimp on tires. I think the ultimate unicorn lightweight early 2dr GTI S with PP and manual trans could still have a shot at national level GS competitiveness, but I think especially with a heavier 4dr sunroof DSG model you're at even more of an uphill battle vs the Civic Si's. They are just too damned fast.

4) It seems that VW can't make a thermostat housing that doesn't slowly leak coolant. Does not cause pressure/overheating issues, it just seeps. It's a common warranty claim. I also had a CV boot fail at 25K. No other problems here in 45K.

5) Sunroof is standard on the SE and Autobahn. I've read many reports of sunroofs leaking and creaking, so I would definitely make sure it doesn't leak and that you have some remaining warranty left if you buy a used one.

In summary, if you need a great daily driver, have some reason to need an automatic, and want to be almost-competitive in GS, the GTI with DSG is *fantastic*.