GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI (6MT USA) Engine hesitation

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a 2019 with 4000 miles on it. It often sputters under hard acceleration above 3500 RPM. It also stalls once in a while.

I haven't taken it to dealer yet....primarily because I have a JB4 tuner on it. I'm waiting until it needs an oil change. At that time, I'll remove the JB4, get an oil change, tire rotation, and have the stalling update done. I'm hoping that will solve my issues.

Regarding the rough idle on start-up.....Mine only idles rough when the A/C is turned on. With the A/C off, it always idles smoothly.

The only difference with the idle when the AC is on is the idle speed comes up about 100 RPM. It should still idle smoothly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a 2019 with 4000 miles on it. It often sputters under hard acceleration above 3500 RPM. It also stalls once in a while.

I haven't taken it to dealer yet....primarily because I have a JB4 tuner on it. I'm waiting until it needs an oil change. At that time, I'll remove the JB4, get an oil change, tire rotation, and have the stalling update done. I'm hoping that will solve my issues.

Regarding the rough idle on start-up.....Mine only idles rough when the A/C is turned on. With the A/C off, it always idles smoothly.

Have them make sure your car has the 24D ecu patch installed. This is a known issue.

jms066

Car(s)
2019 6MT GTI
Well, the problem is back again...

As soon as it got hot outside, the engine starts hesitating. I had both of the ECU patches done (the one in November 2019 and the latest one), and was good for a little while, then bang -- horrendous again.

I appreciate what everyone has been saying about upgrading the intercooler, engine tunes, etc -- but there is NO WAY I am going to jeopardize my warranty on this vehicle: On my 2019 vehicle with 19K miles, I've had the following:

Replace hatch shock support (The day I purchased the car!)
Replace Infotainment unit when a crack in the face developed (first WEEK owning the car)
Replace thermostat housing (18K miles)
Four trips to dealer for hesitation problem -- NO CODES, NO PROBLEM!

So... I wrote a letter to VWOA's EVP for sales. Explained that I've driven over 20 VWs on three continents over the past 40 years, and I've HAD IT with this lemon.

Got a response today from VW Customer cares -- they want to book me an appointment with the dealer to "work with me." I've kind of resolved myself to just trading it for a Mk.8, but now I wonder...

Anybody have any experiences with these VWOA facilitated service reviews? Or am I just on a quixotic mission for a working car at this point? I'm tempted to just give it to the dealer and say, keep it until you find SOMETHING, since I'm working from home and don't need a daily driver.

(sorry for the rant)

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
appreciate what everyone has been saying about upgrading the intercooler, engine tunes, etc -- but there is NO WAY I am going to jeopardize my warranty on this vehicle:

I can't fathom suffering with a car for another XX,XXX miles just to maybe have a warranty available if something happens to break that actually registers as broken and can be fixed. Warranty paranoia is your personal decision, but you're banking on several years of your life here and thousands of unhappy miles driven on the off chance something catastrophic happens to the powertrain that you need a warranty for.

Your risk aversion is your business, going on your recommendation of no mods that void warranty, you have two options.

1. Drive the car until the warranty expires and then fix it with a tune.
2. Get rid of the car

You say you've been dealing with VW for 40 years. You are an older gentleman, are the factory warranty rules worth your time of day?

Anybody have any experiences with these VWOA facilitated service reviews?
VWoA has can be exceptional, especially if you push. Plenty of great stories from members here who had their issues resolved with little effort once it went this far. Push for a replacement vehicle.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

As soon as it got hot outside, the engine starts hesitating. I had both of the ECU patches done (the one in November 2019 and the latest one), and was good for a little while, then bang -- horrendous again.

I appreciate what everyone has been saying about upgrading the intercooler, engine tunes, etc -- but there is NO WAY I am going to jeopardize my warranty on this vehicle: On my 2019 vehicle with 19K miles, I've had the following:

Replace Infotainment unit when a crack in the face developed (first WEEK owning the car)

So... I wrote a letter to VWOA's EVP for sales. Explained that I've driven over 20 VWs on three continents over the past 40 years, and I've HAD IT with this lemon.

Got a response today from VW Customer cares -- they want to book me an appointment with the dealer to "work with me." I've kind of resolved myself to just trading it for a Mk.8, but now I wonder...

Anybody have any experiences with these VWOA facilitated service reviews? Or am I just on a quixotic mission for a working car at this point? I'm tempted to just give it to the dealer and say, keep it until you find SOMETHING, since I'm working from home and don't need a daily driver.

(sorry for the rant)

Did you try thicker oil?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

(sorry for the rant)

Or check the o2 sensors for fouling?

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
Well, just experienced this on my 2019. It felt like hitting boost cut. The car bucked hard twice when I pulled out to pass somebody. I do not have the second ECU done. Will see what they say when I bring it in for the 20K service. I have TCDS and there are no codes stored, which seems odd with such a violent event. This seems like a safety issue. Probably not a bad idea to report it to the NTSB.

grapesmith

Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
First time poster - I've been searching high and low for confirmation that I'm not crazy. Glad to know (for my sanity, unfortunate otherwise) that there are others experiencing the same thing.

I think things have been worse after the 24FX update. Still getting idle roughness that shakes the car and hesitation in acceleration. It's just not enjoyable to drive like this.

I've got an appointment scheduled for Friday, but I'm not expecting much. 2 software updates and a replaced LPFP, but the problem still remains... it just don't inspire any confidence that they know what the cause is or how to fix it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
First time poster - I've been searching high and low for confirmation that I'm not crazy. Glad to know (for my sanity, unfortunate otherwise) that there are others experiencing the same thing.

I think things have been worse after the 24FX update. Still getting idle roughness that shakes the car and hesitation in acceleration. It's just not enjoyable to drive like this.

I've got an appointment scheduled for Friday, but I'm not expecting much. 2 software updates and a replaced LPFP, but the problem still remains... it just don't inspire any confidence that they know what the cause is or how to fix it.
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your appointment.

grapesmith

Car(s)
2019 GTI 6MT
My service advisor called and said the problem was bad fuel and that an additive cleared up the problem.

I’m skeptical - I’ve been using premium at Mobil / Shell / Chevron. The roughness has been persistent since the day I bought the car new.

Is fuel sensitivity common with GTIs? Do I need to be using an additive “monthly” as my SA suggested?

Anyone else with similar problems getting the same answer?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My service advisor called and said the problem was bad fuel and that an additive cleared up the problem.

I’m skeptical - I’ve been using premium at Mobil / Shell / Chevron. The roughness has been persistent since the day I bought the car new.

Is fuel sensitivity common with GTIs? Do I need to be using an additive “monthly” as my SA suggested?

It wouldn't hurt to use a bottle of Chevron Techron every 5th tank or so. Helps keep the injectors clean.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I think he's fos.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
fuel from 3 different places since day one.....yeah, it ain't the fuel. Once in a while I would say OK, but not often. Oh yeah, I run regular.
I would see what this tank does (with the miracle fluid). But you should not have to add treatment, heck I bet VW doesn't recommend it. Just for kicks ask the service advisor to put in writing that the recommended "fix" is fuel treatment monthly.

nice use of search!

Mud