GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
I asked the dealer what would be my recourse as the 2nd buyer if the stalling issue was not cured as stated. They said the car is under warranty for the next 5 years so I could have it serviced for the issue. Apparently the lemon law repurchase is only available for the original buyer and knowingly buying a defected title vehicle gives you no rights under the lemon law which is not very reassuring.

cb1111

I asked the dealer what would be my recourse as the 2nd buyer if the stalling issue was not cured as stated. They said the car is under warranty for the next 5 years so I could have it serviced for the issue. Apparently the lemon law repurchase is only available for the original buyer and knowingly buying a defected title vehicle gives you no rights under the lemon law which is not very reassuring.
The dealer may want to re-read the Hawaii lemon laws

A bit dated, so you my want to find the most recent revision, but it looks like the 2019 would be covered

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
I was trying to buy a GTI from the mainland and have it shipped to Hawaii. Would Hawaii VW dealers be responsible for applying the Hawaii Lemon Law for cars purchased out of state? I'm certainly not shipping the car back once it gets here. If you feel the stall coming can you blip the throttle to avoid it?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I was trying to buy a GTI from the mainland and have it shipped to Hawaii. Would Hawaii VW dealers be responsible for applying the Hawaii Lemon Law for cars purchased out of state? I'm certainly not shipping the car back once it gets here. If you feel the stall coming can you blip the throttle to avoid it?

Honestly, just have the flash done, it’s pretty much a dead subject none. As noted above, make sure stalling is the reason for buyback and enjoy.

happycamper515

Car(s)
RX350
Okay thanks. Now I just need to negotiate a price that takes into account the defected title because from what I can gather resale drops dramatically if you ever want to sell or trade-in a car with manufacturer buyback title.

cb1111

Okay thanks. Now I just need to negotiate a price that takes into account the defected title because from what I can gather resale drops dramatically if you ever want to sell or trade-in a car with manufacturer buyback title.
It isn't a "defective" title, it is a branded title. In this case the title will be labeled a "manufacturer buyback". While this means something to you, it loses importance years down the road and actually may become more valuable on a future resale if you can show that the car has been without issues for many years. It is also possible that the title "loses" the branding when new titles are issued down the road - but that isn't necessarily a good thing.

As far as the lemon laws are concerned, in most states the laws of the state where the car is registered applies - so it should be the Hawaii but you may want to call a Hawaii lemon lawyer to confirm - that should be a free call.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie

the stall most commonly happens as you are slowing down/stopping, or actually stopped. So maybe it's counterproductive to try and blip the throttle?

Now, I think one owner did mention that the stall happened while making a left turn (though I don't recall if that was just the prevailing terror of worst case scenario), but it doesn't (didn't?) usually happen when you are on the throttle or in a situation where you would be accelerating. And further, like in my case, I was in neutral when the stall happened most frequently, so obviously blipping the throttle ain't going to do crap. :D

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Discussing techniques to avoid it stalling is a moot point If the car has been listed back for sale because it’s received the software update. The “stalling issue” is a dead scenario at this point... there was literally 1-2 people who claimed the car still stalled after the flash, yet those where the same people who made the claim then never followed up with additional details.