GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They will just overrite the tune. It happened for my Jetta that had stage 1 APR and I was REQUIRED by the state of California to get an ECM flash recall since it was related to "emissions". So I had to go to the dealer, have them flash my car with the recall update (which deleted the tune), get the paper saying its done then had to pay for the tune to be reinstalled. :rolleyes:

I know that I shouldn't say add this to the list of reasons to get a Cobb AP. Pay once.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Are all 2019s plagued by this stalling problem, or it's a hit or miss? There is a local new 2019 GTI SE (manual) for sale with a hefty discount and I started thinking about possibility of upgrading my 2015 S, but not sure due to this stalling issue.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Are all 2019s plagued by this stalling problem, or it's a hit or miss? There is a local new 2019 GTI SE (manual) for sale with a hefty discount and I started thinking about possibility of upgrading my 2015 S, but not sure due to this stalling issue.
Issue has been fixed with a ECU update. Nothing to worry about.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Not all 2019s had this issue.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The fix is a warranty issue, which costs you nothing.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
The fix is a warranty issue, which costs you nothing.

While I agree the net cost is zero, it would cost me time and aggravation to resolve this issue if it happens. In general I hate dealing with dealerships and trying to convince them to repair something...

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
While I agree the net cost is zero, it would cost me time and aggravation to resolve this issue if it happens. In general I hate dealing with dealerships and trying to convince them to repair something...
Ask them to update the ECU before you pick the car up...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
if the car is at a VW dealer Lot It’s already been updated. VWOA required them to flash all of them with the new update, same with any cars that come in for service.

cb1111

Mine couldn't give me a clear answer. They said they follow whatever their computer tells them to do, ODIS I think they mentioned.

I wanted an invoice saying they performed the update and they wouldn't provide it.
Call VW corporate and ask them. Make sure that you have the VIN.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I purchased a 2019 manual new in February and have never had the stalling issue. I didn't ask if they did the update but I'm assuming they did since VW requires any new 2019 to be updated before selling. They issued that requirement back in December.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Go here:
https://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/

Plug in the vin number, and click search.

If it’s outstanding it’ll look like this.
9611943C-D054-41D5-87CF-B9EE5255013F.jpeg

I have had the update, and can confirm the drivability and niggling issues were fixed. But VW shows it not done. Maybe for a trip back to the mothership is in order.

all in all, the stalling issue is a dead issue, the ecu flash fixed the problem. Don’t be afraid of a 19 6MT

Last edited: