GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

TheeBran

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there anyone for whom the update hasn't worked? I bought my '19 SE 6-speed on 1/31. It did the slow-soft stall during the test drive but I attributed that to my idiocy. It's happened several times since. Took it in on Saturday for the program update and was told that it had been done in December but that they'd try again. Was totally fine after I picked it up Saturday night and Sunday. Then, this morning, as I was turning left it did it again. I have a buddy who bought one two days after my purchase and his also stalled multiple times. He took it back to the dealer and it has been there since. It apparently also had the program applied in December.

And no, I'm not a no0b. I daily-drove a Mk6 6-speed before this Mk7.5 (bought that new in 2013), among many other manual cars. Just to make sure I wasn't losing my touch, I spent some time and put some miles on my 993 this weekend. No stalls :p.
My car stalled once since the update. It was like 3 days after the update, hasn't happened since. It has gotten much colder here since then though. I'm also not driving the car nearly as much.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
out of curiousity, anyone stalling and running a tune? I have my uniconnect+ and stage 2 tune I bought for my 2019. My plan was to tune after first oil change and ensure the car was solid. I have DSG and have experienced stalling on more than one occasion while coming to a stop. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning. As the "fix" for some was software, just wondering if tuned vehicles are having the same issue and was anyone having their dealer point fingers at the tune as the source of the problem to avoid addressing it. At this point, I'm glad I held off. I will update here after my visit if I get a resolution. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

cb1111

out of curiousity, anyone stalling and running a tune? I have my uniconnect+ and stage 2 tune I bought for my 2019. My plan was to tune after first oil change and ensure the car was solid. I have DSG and have experienced stalling on more than one occasion while coming to a stop. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning. As the "fix" for some was software, just wondering if tuned vehicles are having the same issue and was anyone having their dealer point fingers at the tune as the source of the problem to avoid addressing it. At this point, I'm glad I held off. I will update here after my visit if I get a resolution. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
If you have a DSG, then the "fix" doesn't apply to your car.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a DSG, but I was wondering if anyone experiencing the stalling issue was tuned? Regardless of transmission. I should have been more clear. My bad.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Finally taking the plunge. Just dropped off my car to get the ECM flash...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have a DSG, but I was wondering if anyone experiencing the stalling issue was tuned? Regardless of transmission. I should have been more clear. My bad.

Early on we had someone with a tune having the stalling.

M3LV

Passed Driver's Ed
Made my dealer visit this morning. No codes found, could not duplicate issue in test drive, confirmed action item software for manual cars and not a DSG fix. I’ve stalled two or three times in 1500 miles. All at operating oil temp of 220-226. Once shifting manually, once in Drive, twice with start/stop off, once on. Soft stall forcing me to put the car in park and manually restart. It’s my DD and I’m in outside sales so it’s a PIA when the dealer is an almost 2 hrs round trip if I’m gonna be chasing it to make it happen when they drive it. Hopefully VW will come up with a fix. Going forward, I’m documenting dates and taking pics of the restart manually in display showing mileage at time of stalls.

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Finally taking the plunge. Just dropped off my car to get the ECM flash...

Picked it up and drove it home. So far so good...(although I hadn't experienced a stall in 5,700 miles). Let's hope it stays that way.

sergojin

Picked up my GTI S 6MT in mid-January. At the time of the pickup, was told by the dealer that the ECU update has been done. Checked the VW website and it does not indicate any recalls for my VIN. The car has 800 miles on it now. Until today I experienced 4-5 occasional stalls, all at low speeds and only when the engine is hot, regular gas. Today I had 3 stalls in one day. I live in Illinois and today we had a particularly cold day with windchills down to -10F, not sure if this is related. It was not my mistake with the clutch, I grew up in Europe driving stick shift cars, I know what I am doing.

Last edited:

cb1111

Picked up my GTI S 6MT in mid-January. At the time of the pickup, was told by the dealer that the ECU update has been done. Checked the VW website and it does not indicate any recalls for my VIN. The car has 800 miles on it now. Until today I experienced 4-5 occasional stalls, all at low speeds and only when the engine is hot, regular gas. Today I had 3 stalls in one day. I live in Illinois and today we had a particularly cold day with windchills down to -10F, not sure if this is related. It was not my mistake with the clutch, I grew up in Europe driving stick shift cars, I know what I am doing.
Take it to the dealer, tell them to fix it and report it to NHTSA

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Interesting seeing the uptick in NHTSA complaints. We had a pretty big gap, now there are recent ones from new car purchases. All of them should have had the flash done before sale... so either the flash isn't helping or many dealers forgot to flash?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Interesting seeing the uptick in NHTSA complaints. We had a pretty big gap, now there are recent ones from new car purchases. All of them should have had the flash done before sale... so either the flash isn't helping or many dealers forgot to flash?

I asked my dealer when I stopped in for some oil pan drain plugs and they said that they haven't had one complaint for the stalling problem.