GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I know in many places winter gas is here but curious to see if MPG readings change for folks....one tank doesn't count. Mine is a 2017 and never had this (or any) problem. I would be real excited if I had one with the issue. Early reports are promising. Good Luck to All!

Mud

TheguywiththeJetta

I have 2019 GLI with about 4100 miles. I experienced my first stall at about 600 miles, but i thought it was my fault. I just experienced my second stall today, while maneuvering into my garage. I was doing the same procedure both times, driving at a very slow speed while adjusting the angle to go into the garage, and switching between reverse and first. I was basically feathering the clutch with very little throttle input when the car gently shut itself off. I want to add that I've never owned an automatic car, and I've rarely driven them, so I know how to drive a stick. My car had the factory tune the first time, and is now stage 1 unitronic, since about 2500 miles. My letter came in the mail 2 weeks ago, but I wasn't going to go in for the "fix". I guess i will now, but I was hoping the tune fixed the issue others were experiencing. Apparently not. I'll have to reflash, and hopefully the update is still compatible with Unitronic. I hope you guys are OK with hearing from a Jetta Owner, but the cars are so similar, i felt this was relevant.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have 2019 GLI with about 4100 miles. I experienced my first stall at about 600 miles, but i thought it was my fault. I just experienced my second stall today, while maneuvering into my garage. I was doing the same procedure both times, driving at a very slow speed while adjusting the angle to go into the garage, and switching between reverse and first. I was basically feathering the clutch with very little throttle input when the car gently shut itself off. I want to add that I've never owned an automatic car, and I've rarely driven them, so I know how to drive a stick. My car had the factory tune the first time, and is now stage 1 unitronic, since about 2500 miles. My letter came in the mail 2 weeks ago, but I wasn't going to go in for the "fix". I guess i will now, but I was hoping the tune fixed the issue others were experiencing. Apparently not. I'll have to reflash, and hopefully the update is still compatible with Unitronic. I hope you guys are OK with hearing from a Jetta Owner, but the cars are so similar, i felt this was relevant.
that scenario you just described is not the "plagued stall", sounds like not enough throttle and too little clutch. lol - and yes your GLI reference is still relevant with us.

Last edited:

TheguywiththeJetta

that scenario you just described is not the "plagued stall" sounds like not enough throttle and too little clutch. lol
let us know if the update does indeed reflash your tune as well, cause i was wondering that.
No. It just shut off. The clutch was all the way in (depressed) so no throttle, all clutch, rolling forward. I was manoeuvring the car before hand, and it was rolling forward at this point from momentum. Basically in neutral because the clutch was all the way in, trying to roll slowly into the garage. It shut off while rolling forward with the clutch in. I was rolling forward at about 1-2 mph and the car shut off.

I've owned several manual cars including a 73 beetle (still own) an MKV rabbit, 2 civics, a jeep wrangler, a manual jeep compass, a wrx, a brz, a fiesta st, and two STIs, so i can tell the difference between a stall caused by too little throttle, and one where the car is at fault (especially with my 73 beetle lol). I'm not "new" to the clutch or the stick shift. This today seemed "odd".

Last edited:

TheguywiththeJetta

I'm hesitant to go to the dealer for something that happened twice, so i really don't want to test if I'll lose the tune. I guess im scared I'll run into a situation where the tune isn't compatible any more. And i can't reflash, and I'm out $650 for the tune. I'll let you know once I do more research.

anotherwhitemk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I'm hesitant to go to the dealer for something that happened twice, so i really don't want to test if I'll lose the tune. I guess im scared I'll run into a situation where the tune isn't compatible any more. And i can't reflash, and I'm out $650 for the tune. I'll let you know once I do more research.
I have been hesitant to post my story with the stalling but since a tune was brought up, I figured I might as well. My first stall in my GLI showed up at around 1100 miles after I “broke in” the car and started driving it hard (oil temps over 220). It stalled 6 times in two days. I then quickly changed the oil to 5W30 Liqui Moly after following this thread and reading the oil theory; have not had a stall since (currently at around 6700 miles).

The tune part is interesting because I flashed to IE stage 1 at around 4000 miles and was informed by IE techs that they were using the “0002” software revision but my car was on “0003” in stock form. They are currently working to patch in the recent “0005” revision that fixes the stalling. So I would contact Unitronic and see if they also have plans to patch this in as a software update.

Also, I’m not an oil expert by any means, but I feel like the OEM 0W20 is not the greatest for turbo cars, especially on a tuned car that will see higher oil temps more often when driven harder. Who knows why they changed the spec (possibly emissions politics); I ran 5W30 and 5W40 in my MK7 GTI the whole time I owned it and never had an issue in 95k miles.

Good luck and keep us posted on your situation.

TheguywiththeJetta

The tune part is interesting because I flashed to IE stage 1 at around 4000 miles and was informed by IE techs that they were using the “0002” software revision but my car was on “0003” in stock form. They are currently working to patch in the recent “0005” revision that fixes the stalling. So I would contact Unitronic and see if they also have plans to patch this in as a software update.
Interesting. Until unitronic updates, there's probably no point in going to the dealer, since I'm just going to get the "old" software when i reflash my tune when I leave. I didn't realize that the software was built on a certain version of VW software, but i wondered how that works. This makes sense. So the base of my tune is the prior version of VW software which will soon need updating to keep up with VWs changes. That helps a lot with my decision. I'll wait a while until software is updated with the tuners.

anotherwhitemk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Interesting. Until unitronic updates, there's probably no point in going to the dealer, since I'm just going to get the "old" software when i reflash my tune when I leave. I didn't realize that the software was built on a certain version of VW software, but i wondered how that works. This makes sense. So the base of my tune is the prior version of VW software which will soon need updating to keep up with VWs changes. That helps a lot with my decision. I'll wait a while until software is updated with the tuners.

That‘s correct, whichever VW revision was out at the time the tuner made their software is what’s baked in. I had no idea either until I reached out to IE when I had a couple quirks after flashing stage 1; I guess they had the older revision baked into their tune and VW updated it shortly after. I would definitely hold off on a dealer visit for the stall update if anyone is tuned.

FelixPetrichor

Car(s)
Mk7 GLI
Hey guys.

I bought a 2019 GLI 6-MT on December 6th, 2019 - it looks like that was around the same time the "fix" was sent out. (I'm referring to the ECU software patch). Anyway, shortly after I bought the car, the salesman texted me saying I needed an update to my car so I was scheduled for a service for a software update the following week. I knew nothing about this stalling out issue at the time and thought nothing of it. I was actually more concerned about this dull noise coming from my passenger seat (which was resolved, but I'm here to talk about the stalling thing).

So Yay Happy New Year - I go out and have some dinner. I pull into the parking lot and have this weird "soft stall" occur. I've literally never stalled a car since my first manual many years ago. Strange - so I restart the engine and it craps out and does the soft stall again - clutch fully engaged.

It looks like this stalling phenomenon has unfortunately affected many of us out there. I want to post because it seems I was preemptively given this software update - BUT, still managed to get the stalls happening.

On my way back from dinner - I stalled out at nearly every stop light on the way back. I usually coast a little in neutral before coming to a full stop - and the car would quietly stall out and I'd have to read the Tach to see if my engine died out. I ended up revving in neutral to "keep the engine alive" my way back. Very uncomfortable and honestly a very big road hazard.

My car had exactly 940 miles on it when the stall occurred.

TheguywiththeJetta

After reading that, I'm going to hold out a bit longer. It sounds like you have a severe issue on your hands. Anyone else have problems so severe? Since mine is not a persistent problem on my tuned car, and the "fix" didn't work for yours, I'll wait until the verdict is in.

FelixPetrichor

Car(s)
Mk7 GLI
Sorry for the confusion. Yes I did go in for the ECU software update shortly after the salesman notified me. The problem still happened to me AFTER I got the update around 2 weeks later @ 940 miles.

I just left my car at the dealership for them to look at - will update on what happens next.