GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Nah, not riding that clutch, I’d prefer not to burn that out before this gets resolved, but it is probably as close as one can get. Living in Houston, most everything is flat so I can generally just leave it in neutral. I did find this afternoon that if I approach the stop at a decent clip and then put it in neutral and brake to the stop it rarely stalled. Not a solution I know but glad to see I confirmed my suspicions from this morning.
I did try the brake and clutch pump thing but it didn’t seem to have an impact either way.

That was actually the most effective way for me to reproduce the stalls. :D

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
That was actually the most effective way for me to reproduce the stalls. :D

Good Lord, this problem is so bizarre!! It only happened once today, compared to three times yesterday driving the exact same route and mileage.
I’m going to take some time this weekend to go try to consistently reproduce it before I go the dealer next week.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Good Lord, this problem is so bizarre!! It only happened once today, compared to three times yesterday driving the exact same route and mileage.
I’m going to take some time this weekend to go try to consistently reproduce it before I go the dealer next week.

It really ramped up for me later on, but I wouldn't say it was consistent on the roads, but I could drive it out to a lot and reproduce it pretty quickly by getting the car all warmed up, hard accel from full stop and then quick stop after.

But in the end it just started happening more and more frequently regardless. I haven't driven much in...the last couple of weeks actually, but I'm still at maybe 1700 miles without stalling. ....I don't think I've put gas in the tank in over a month actually, hah!

MGs19GTI

So I guess I’ll add my story to this thread. Bought the car in Dec; stalled once in Jan (less than 1k miles) but chalked it up to my getting used to the clutch take up. Happened a second time last week, after doing an oil change (around 9k miles), and then happened twice this morning on the way to work. Happened another couple times on the way home, so I decided to stop at the dealer. Made an appointment for next Friday for a scan, figured there was no rush since there isn’t a fix, and it was the easiest day for me to take off. I thought maybe it was only happening with the clutch in so I adjusted to let the clutch out as soon as it was in neutral, but it seems to happen either way, since I reproduced it 2-3 on the way home from the dealer.
It is definitely a safety issue since it seems to be happening when in neutral whether the clutch is in or out. They definitely need a fix soon.

This is worrisome to me. I have just under 5200 miles and had one stall before 500 miles and I'm planning an oil change this weekend. I was going to use the new Mobil 1 0W-20 ESP oil that's 508 certified.

The car has been flawless, it's burning no oil and the oil still looks quite clean as of yesterday. Maybe I should reset the service reminder and run it out to 10k and let VW do the oil change since it's a lease and I have the service plan...

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
This is worrisome to me. I have just under 5200 miles and had one stall before 500 miles and I'm planning an oil change this weekend. I was going to use the new Mobil 1 0W-20 ESP oil that's 508 certified.

The car has been flawless, it's burning no oil and the oil still looks quite clean as of yesterday. Maybe I should reset the service reminder and run it out to 10k and let VW do the oil change since it's a lease and I have the service plan...

My issues ramped up right after I put fresh OEM oil in, which I think goes along with the theory that is related to the updated oil for the 2019 engine. As a couple people have pointed out, reverting to 5W-40 seemed to help, but the techs aren’t keen on going against what is advised. As a layperson, the oil issue concerns me because I can’t see the fix being a simple flash, i would think it has to be more mechanical and something that will need to be replaced inside the engine.

Last edited:

MGs19GTI

My issues ramped up right after I put fresh OEM oil in, which I think goes along with the theory that is related to the updated oil for the 2019 engine. As a couple people have pointed out, reverting to 5W-40 seemed to help, but the techs aren’t keen on going against what is advised. As a layperson, the oil issue concerns me because I can’t see the fix being a simple flash, i would think it has to be more mechanical and something that will need to be replaced inside the engine.

So it's a crap shoot... nice. I'd hate to have issues begin and then have to deal with what others are dealing with, I've been spoiled! :D

Although I suppose if issues did start, it would create another data point for what people seem to be leaning towards. Again, I'd really like to avoid it.

Do you think it would be wise ride the factory filled oil out to the 10k service and let the dealer do it? Then if issues arise, I'd be sure to not be blamed for using the wrong oil or creating the issue myself.

Last edited:

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
So it's a crap shoot... nice. I'd hate to have issues begin and then have to deal with what others are dealing with, I've been spoiled! :D

Although I suppose if issues did start, it would create another data point for what people seem to be leaning towards. Again, I'd really like to avoid it.

Do you think it would be wise ride the factory filled oil out to the 10k service and let the dealer do it? Then if issues arise, I'd be sure to not be blamed for using the wrong oil or creating the issue myself.

There are people on here with far more knowledge than myself, but I’ll give my 2 cents.
I took my factory oil to 9k miles, because I never got around to changing it sooner. (I am concerned they might try to argue with me because I changed my own oil, so we’ll see) But then I only had the one issue within the first 500 miles when that oil would have been new. It may be best to ride it a bit longer to hopefully postpone the issues, and maybe they’ll come up with a fix in that time period.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
There are people on here with far more knowledge than myself, but I’ll give my 2 cents.
I took my factory oil to 9k miles, because I never got around to changing it sooner. (I am concerned they might try to argue with me because I changed my own oil, so we’ll see) But then I only had the one issue within the first 500 miles when that oil would have been new. It may be best to ride it a bit longer to hopefully postpone the issues, and maybe they’ll come up with a fix in that time period.
I'll be taking my factory oil until 10,000 miles too. Your first oil change is due at 10,000 miles DO NOT change it early! Oil analysis supports 10,000 miles as being realistic for a first change interval. Wear metals will remain at safe levels during this entire first interval thanks to the initial run-in and flush at the factory before the engine was installed in your car. I have done several tests with Blackstone Oil Analysis and there's always been plenty of life left in the oil and levels have been normal. No need to change it early at 3,000 or 5,000 miles. That's just wasting perfectly good oil. When I had a TDI this was posted over in the TDI forum by a very knowledgeable member named Drivbiwire....."When your engine was first produced the motor was placed in a test cell and "Run-in" by a computer run dyno. The motor after the run-in was DRAINED OF ALL ITS FLUIDS (Oil, Coolant etc), the filters were replaced and a unique break-in oil was installed to promote a proper break-in once installed in the car as well as to protect the engine from corrosion during shipping to final assembly.

The "Break-in oil", YES VW does use a specially formulated "Break-In" oil formulated under an internal "TL" specification and produced by Fuchs. The oil is a group IV synthetic 5w30 formulated to comply with the LowSAPS VW507.00 requirements as well as the TL specifications for break-in. The oil is intended to allow a controlled rate of wear while protecting the engine and allowing the internal parts to seat proplerly during the engines first 10,000 road miles." Obviously our GTI's are diff than the TDI's and use diff oil but I still like to follow this same thought process / procedure. People may disagree and that's okay but I like this method. :)

MGs19GTI

I'll be taking my factory oil until 10,000 miles too...

Thanks for this information! One question, why does the car have a 5000 mile service warning if I'm not supposed to change it until 10,000? I'll have to check the owners manual, but the car itself has the warning.

Again, my oil looks great, there's been no burn off, and the car runs perfectly.

Ronnie1

Ready to race!
Thanks for this information! One question, why does the car have a 5000 mile service warning if I'm not supposed to change it until 10,000? I'll have to check the owners manual, but the car itself has the warning.

Again, my oil looks great, there's been no burn off, and the car runs perfectly.
Yeah than's confusing? Manual says 10,000 miles.

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed

Hmm, I didn’t get a 5k mile warning in my 2019, and my sales guy (whom I trust) reminded me that the first change is 10k when I drove off the lot.
I’m sticking with close to but not more than 10k. I figure somewhere between 7k and 10k is probably good.

MGs19GTI

Hmm, I didn’t get a 5k mile warning in my 2019, and my sales guy (whom I trust) reminded me that the first change is 10k when I drove off the lot.
I’m sticking with close to but not more than 10k. I figure somewhere between 7k and 10k is probably good.

Is there a time interval as well? It was counting down days, not miles, before it final said service is due. I bought the car in April of this year, not sure of the production date though, if that weighs into things.

Also, my apologies if this is too much of a sidetrack in the stalling thread, but the two (oil & stalling) seem to be, at least at this point, connected.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Is there a time interval as well? It was counting down days, not miles, before it final said service is due. I bought the car in April of this year, not sure of the production date though, if that weighs into things.

Also, my apologies if this is too much of a sidetrack in the stalling thread, but the two (oil & stalling) seem to be, at least at this point, connected.

12 months. So if you have a 10/18 build brand new off the lot today, it will be telling you to change the oil.

MGs19GTI

12 months. So if you have a 10/18 build brand new off the lot today, it will be telling you to change the oil.

Understood. Thank you.

My initial question still remains I suppose. Should I wait until 10k as a way to avoid a possible stalling problem post oil change?