GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Performance Issues I'd Like to Correct

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Launch the car at WOT with all nanies off and video it. Any issues you're gonna see pretty fast lol or its gonna spin for 60 feet straight

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
You're being way too philosophical about this.

Scan the car and see what's wrong with it. You can disable torque nannies in first but what you're describing sounds like something is going on. My brand-new 18 would break loose even at half throttle in first gear and second would be close to traction limit.

If the car is brand spanking new it is quite possible there is an engine break in hard reduction in power. It's more than likely for the transmission more so in high torque gears (1st).

Had 24 miles on it when it showed up. I'm accounting for that, and the way new vehicles, new brakes, new clutches, and new engines behave.

Going into great detail about the specific issues I've observed will be helpful to someone in the future. People have trouble explaining this sort of thing, so I've explained it in many different ways; it's also fun. Takes everything I've got right now to get out and about, because I'm not doing so hot. When I come back, I want to discuss what I've observed. It's fun. Between driving and talking about the drive, that's all the fun I get now.

If it turns out there's something wrong with the vehicle, that's helpful, as well.

It'll be heading to the dealer at 500 miles for a new round of fluids, and given I've had to do a lot of location scouting recently, that should be coming up very soon. I intend to have the whole thing checked out.

Even so, I'm not feeling a mechanical problem so much as I am limitations being applied. I think there was indeed a "break-in" mode, and I feel like that's been eclipsed, as between one drive and another, the car immediately began to behave a bit better. I can only launch the thing so hard right now; I need to wait for that thousand, but I can darn well still get it in it's power band. I know where this power should be coming in, and it's being limited.

It's patently obvious behind the wheel.

I'm not trying to burn out. I'm just on a journey to get the computers out of my way so I can actually drive the car. I, like everyone else, spent many years developing that skill, and I don't intend to let this car waste them.

I've driven enough cars to know when one is slapping me on the wrist and hiding the cookies.

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
I can't say I've ever seen such a display of soliloquy about something so trivial.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I can't say I've ever seen such a display of soliloquy about something so trivial.

I wouldn't say the performance of an automobile is trivial... It's an issue valued at the cost of the vehicle.

If I die the last person providing context and thorough description in communication, so be it. I've no interest in a 240 character limit, nor the foolishness and misinterpretation it encourages.

Anyone who finds this in the future will know precisely whether or not the solutions to my Golf's issues are likely solve theirs, and they won't have to read the whole thread, because I'm going to edit them into the original post.

New owners exist, and telling them to "search" all the time isn't the answer, because they don't have context for their impressions; they can't interpret all the terminology and description.

A thread like this will help them understand whether or not what they're feeling in regard to the car is normal.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Had 24 miles on it when it showed up. I'm accounting for that, and the way new vehicles, new brakes, new clutches, and new engines behave.

Going into great detail about the specific issues I've observed will be helpful to someone in the future. People have trouble explaining this sort of thing, so I've explained it in many different ways; it's also fun. Takes everything I've got right now to get out and about, because I'm not doing so hot. When I come back, I want to discuss what I've observed. It's fun. Between driving and talking about the drive, that's all the fun I get now.

If it turns out there's something wrong with the vehicle, that's helpful, as well.

It'll be heading to the dealer at 500 miles for a new round of fluids, and given I've had to do a lot of location scouting recently, that should be coming up very soon. I intend to have the whole thing checked out.

Even so, I'm not feeling a mechanical problem so much as I am limitations being applied. I think there was indeed a "break-in" mode, and I feel like that's been eclipsed, as between one drive and another, the car immediately began to behave a bit better. I can only launch the thing so hard right now; I need to wait for that thousand, but I can darn well still get it in it's power band. I know where this power should be coming in, and it's being limited.

It's patently obvious behind the wheel.

I'm not trying to burn out. I'm just on a journey to get the computers out of my way so I can actually drive the car. I, like everyone else, spent many years developing that skill, and I don't intend to let this car waste them.

I've driven enough cars to know when one is slapping me on the wrist and hiding the cookies.

1. Pull up on bracket holding ECU to pop it off.
2. Take big branch cutters to harness holding ECU in
3. ?????
4. computers removed so you can drive car

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Lmao. Ecu delete xD

OP I think it's normal and you'll get it figured out. Just wait till you're tuned and you're gonna miss these days when you could actually hook from a stop lol

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Better tires, lighter wheels.

What rpm are you shifting at? If you're following the break in and shifting under 4k 1st and 2nd are pretty tame.

Lay on it to 6k in both gears. Unless the road is amazing you should see the ASR light up at the top of the gears. Stock power should break the stock tires free pretty easily.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Minor weight reduction and a raw driving feel

The mods I'd likely find appropriate are a rear sway bar and chassis reinforcement back there to loosen up the ass a bit, and lighter wheels. I do like the factory wheels, though. Beyond that, swapping to a lithium battery is where I'd normally go, but I'm going to install a Zed-restored PPI A404 amplifier in this thing, and those little batteries aren't going to cut the mustard. Shame, because I've got a Zed Audio class D, but the PPI Art needs a home, and it really matches the car aesthetically.

If I can get the rest working even a little better, I think all I'd really be interested in at this time is that Neuspeed power module. That's beyond surplus to my requirements. The car itself has all the power I really need, but there's that "personalization" factor that we all find important; and I kind of want to re-live the whole '90s "remove the mod and get away with it" naughtiness. I don't really give two flips about any juice beyond what it's already pumping out, actually.

I can feel this thing has long legs, because the taps really open up at speed. This thing is a rocket once it's in higher gears.

So far as tires go, I'm occasionally prone to go for less traction than more; but this is going to be my daily driver, so that's not really appropriate. In general, I like things to get a bit frisky.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Better tires, lighter wheels.

What rpm are you shifting at? If you're following the break in and shifting under 4k 1st and 2nd are pretty tame.

Lay on it to 6k in both gears. Unless the road is amazing you should see the ASR light up at the top of the gears. Stock power should break the stock tires free pretty easily.

I'm trying a little bit of everything as I drive it around to get to know the car better every day, and the transmission responds well to shifting at various points. At 4,000, once she spools up, first should be reaching out and touching foolishness, and second should, as well. Giving it more stick right now isn't really the answer. At lower RPMs, the engine and gearing should be pulling like a train in a car this light.

One of the things I need to get rid of is the automatic RPM jump when the clutch is depressed and released. I don't think I'll ever get used to that feature, but I suspect that's something that can be disabled. For now I'm just ignoring it and doing what I want.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I will still swear up and down, for the rest of my days, on whatever may or may not be holy, that this car had a "protection mode" enabled until the 200 mile mark was hit.

It got dramatically better between one drive and the next at that point. Still needs some massaging, and it's still limiting things, but that was night and day. It went from downright intolerable to... Eh... This will work for the most part.

Turning off the soundaktor or whatever it's called made a hell of a difference, as well. That was giving me inaccurate feedback. The sound was cool, but it wasn't lining up with what was happening. That's fine, though. The normal exhaust is plenty meaty for a four cylinder. It's actually quite impressive for a factory assembly.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In case it wasn't mentioned already, look into a pedal tuner.. i was also very frustrated with the throttle response and did every OBD11 mod possible for it and still wasnt enough so i bought the BMS pedal tuner and it fixed all of the throttle lag and input delays that were driving me nuts.. i currently have it on race mod +2 and very satisfied.

Link: https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-pedal-tuner

Same here and I run mine at maximum.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The braking is what drove me nuts. If car was in sport mode, throttle felt fine.

I can't wait to make the clutch not feel like mush. Worst part of the car hands down. I almost wish I'd bought a DSG, but I love driving a manual on track. If I cared how about being fast, DSG would be the way to go.

I'm just bidding time and planning for a clutch.