GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R, Spektrum Viper Green 1 of 33 for SALE

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I mean I get the sentiment but it really is just a standard R, and with the manual its also the significantly slower version of this generation (and I've owned both transmissions, drove cross country to pick up my most recent one and would qualify in most circles as an enthusiast). If you're going to spend 20,000 over msrp for the fastest R buy the fastest R.

The Spektrum package is literally nothing but a paint job, every single part on that car is standard R, the body kit was (and still is?) available to anyone who wanted to hop on VWs parts website or ECS and place an order. The black prets an option on all 2019s. I appreciate that VW made these but its a lazy "package". Honda makes a special type R and it gets exclusive forged bbs wheels, loses 28 pounds, gets upgraded brakes and tweaked chassis specs. VW rebrands the audi exclusive paint program.

The 337 and 20th GTIs had unique recaro seats and interior trim pieces, wheels, body kit, headlights, badging and better suspension. Farenheits got unique wheels and some interior trim and were numbered. The effort with the Spektrum was literally bare minimum. VW has a huge parts bin of wheels and seats globally and within the US that fit mqb and they couldn't even source something unique. The enthusiast specifically into these cars who knows what it means to own it knows what it means to own an RS3 as well and almost 8000 miles on a 2 year old former fleet vehicle is a lot for a collector, you don't even have to look all that hard to find photos of this car getting hustled on the dragon. The 2018 Spektrum cars from Canada are also trickling south of the border and the exchange rate makes them very good deals. A cliff green manual with under 15000 miles is 39,000 w the exchange rate.

All of that said, I don't live far from you and if VW ends up doing anything special for the R for its 20th anniversary in America in 2024 I'm in so make note of this username and lets talk about my deposit in 2 years if/when its announced :).
Completely agree with you, this is just another R. The 2500 dollar cost of allowing you to choose a different color doesn't make it a collectors item. If it truly was a collectors car, it already has too many miles on it for that kind of price, its a driver now. Of all the Spektrums, Viper Green was the most often chosen color. I like it, looks good but nothing special about it from a collectors standpoint. Even if you never drive it you are not going to sell it for more than you paid for it, maybe your son or daughter might years down the road if it is stored properly and not driven.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
For the money, buy a regular used R, then with the money saved over buying this one, grab an RS3 drive train and go to town. If you still must have this green, budget to wrap or spray the car during the build.

I can't imagine anyone spending this kind of money on a used stock VW. As noted, the mileage is way to high to be a "collector car" not to mention this color is the most popular one out of the bunch. Oh, and if the comments about this being a former VW fleet car are true, then even more the reason to avoid as you know it was driven hard for those 7800 miles.

Point is this car is nothing special outside of a paint job and a little pin saying you have ##/## produced - I don't think that pin is worth $15k. These fall in the same category as DE's, 337's, 20th's, Fahrenheit editions, etc. - paint job specials to sell cars - at least some of those models had special trim items to make them unique.

GLWS - I don't think you'll find a buyer for this on the VW forums - we know better. You need to find some clueless schmoe to sell the collector hype on.

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I’d say find a 2016 2-door and do that.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
For the money, buy a regular used R, then with the money saved over buying this one, grab an RS3 drive train and go to town.

I can't imagine anyone spending this kind of money on a VW. As noted, the mileage is way to high to be a "collector car" not to mention this color is the most popular one out of the bunch.

GLWS - I don't think you'll find a buyer for this on the VW forums - we know better. You need to find some clueless schmoe to sell the collector hype on.

if it wasn’t a stick my guess would be spoiled kid w rich parents. Still could be I guess.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
oh wow, this isn't sold already?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
To be fair, we are not his ideal audience. Although if one more of my cars self destructs, I might just have to buy this one.

we aren’t but his description of who this car is for is the type of person who would be on here he just doesn’t know who his buyer actually is but I don’t think they want to sell it tbh.

Dealer is happy to have it on the showroom floor and have the traffic it draws to their website. They still have room for some profit if they lowered the price further but they haven’t because they’re not motivated to move it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
we aren’t but his description of who this car is for is the type of person who would be on here he just doesn’t know who his buyer actually is but I don’t think they want to sell it tbh.

Dealer is happy to have it on the showroom floor and have the traffic it draws to their website. They still have room for some profit if they lowered the price further but they haven’t because they’re not motivated to move it.
Sort of like an M1 or Isetta in a BMW dealer. I guess my dealer has a 21 Window, so not that different.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

EXTREMELY RARE! THIS 2015 VW GOLF TDI SEL SPORTWAGEN SEL WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION & ONLY 96 CERTIFIED MILES IS A UNICORN! YOU WON'T FIND ANOTHER! USED ONLY FOR EMISSIONS TESTING FROM DAY ONE, THIS TDI SPORTWAGEN IS AS-NEW IN EVERY WAY!

Damn, they seem to love to collect those "extremally rare!" cars...