GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R Pricing

F1fletch1

So I am starting to reach out to dealers in the Bay Area about Golf R’s.

It’s been a bit negative so far with some dealers saying they are special order only. Others saying we won’t see them until maybe April. Special orders take 4-6 months AND there are no incentives or discounts on them.

I am willing to buy a GTI but would seriously buy/order an R if I got a deal.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, I need to buy inside California but don’t mind driving to LA to get a deal....

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Last year 2018 Rs sat in the port for long time and looks like there is a lot of delay with the launch of 2019 Rs as well. With very less inventories available with the dealers, 2019s should be hitting the lots soon but there isnt any concrete date available so far.

Factory order is around 12 - 16 weeks if i am not wrong. Stay away from those dealers who claim Rs to be special order only. This looks like a typical sales tactic to gouge on the customer. And you might not be able to get any deal on a R unless otherwise the dealer wants to get rid of it as VW does not offer any incentives for that model. As of now you should be able to get a good deal on a 2018 manual.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Yes there seems to be some manual Rs' but not many. Time will tell as for needing to do an order.
I do see that there are many exclusive exterior colors, but more $$ and more of a wait.
I wonder what deal one could get on a trade when there will be an extended wait for the R?

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, the dealer in Lafayette, LA has a 2018 Black R, 6M, that he will let go cheap - he dropped to 37 before we figured out that it was incorrectly advertised as DSG.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Best you'll get is $1000 off and yes all spectrum colors are special order only as dealers wont take a chance on a color without a buyer. takes 4-6 months from order to delivery and in california good luck buying an R for anything less than $3000 over MSRP no matter the spec.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie

Don't. If you aren't injured like I was when I bought my MK7 GTI back 3 yrs ago where I had no choice but to get the DSG GTI Autobahn as the closest alternative (I couldn't drive MT cars at the time and there were no Golf-R's within a 200-300mile radius) wait until the Golf-R you want comes in.

I ended up getting a 17 MT Golf-R the following year after my leg injury improved. I have not missed the GTI..

F1fletch1

Don't. If you aren't injured like I was when I bought my MK7 GTI back 3 yrs ago where I had no choice but to get the DSG GTI Autobahn as the closest alternative (I couldn't drive MT cars at the time and there were no Golf-R's within a 200-300mile radius) wait until the Golf-R you want comes in.

I ended up getting a 17 MT Golf-R the following year after my leg injury improved. I have not missed the GTI..

Thank you I appreciate the feedback!

DukeGaGa

Have you found any good deals yet? I'm thinking about ordering a 2019 as well, a dealer at Chicago I talked to said they will be accepting orders for the 2019 Golf R this month, and I might go check them out in a week or two.

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
So I am starting to reach out to dealers in the Bay Area about Golf R’s.

It’s been a bit negative so far with some dealers saying they are special order only. Others saying we won’t see them until maybe April. Special orders take 4-6 months AND there are no incentives or discounts on them.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, I need to buy inside California but don’t mind driving to LA to get a deal....

When I was researching for a new car about a year ago, the GTI and R were two vehicles high on my list. When it was time to actually buy last June, I ended up with a GTI Autobahn DSG. While I would have preferred the R (obviously!) VW dealers all around the Bay Area were NOT budging from MSRP while I got the price GTI down to just under 32K - a 10 thousand dollar difference! According to the dealerships (take that with a grain of salt of course), VW gives no incentives to sell the R while GTIs are highly incentivized and much more common thus the big discounts. Honestly, I'd be very surprised if you can get much if any discounts from MSRP once the '19 Rs finally get in stock, especially when they first come out. However, if you're in no rush to buy and are willing to spend near MSRP, I'd go for the R since it's such a special car!

McCabe89

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Evo X & Golf R
Why are dealers in the US not willing to deal much on a new R? The vast majority of them in Canada will give good deals off MSRP. My buddy got $3950 off his 18' when he ordered it. Just seems crazy to me. It's a great car but its still a damn golf.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Why are dealers in the US not willing to deal much on a new R? The vast majority of them in Canada will give good deals off MSRP. My buddy got $3950 off his 18' when he ordered it. Just seems crazy to me. It's a great car but its still a damn golf.

Because they’re dealers, and because they don’t get very many R’s to sell, and because people will pay MSRP. They do it cause they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Canada gets more inventory than us and they sit on lots for longer vs USA where they sell very quickly. Also you're doing currency conversions which isn't always the most accurate way of doing things.