GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R Owner; TIP Question

MKGolfr

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Hello everyone. New to VW, I'm seeking some knowledge from members on this forum.

I recently installed K&N replacement filter with APR carbon inlet hose, but I have not installed turbo inlet pipe yet. The reason, is I'm not too sure if a tune is required for TIP installation. I understand that without a tune TIP is essentially useless, but at this time that is not may main concern. My worry; engine damage. Will it do any harm if I were to install TIP w/out a tune?

Also, will I need tune for the following combo; air intake, TIP, muffler delete and APR inlet hose.

Horsepower tuning will come after my warranty expires.

Much appreciated

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Muffler deletes literally does nothing for power gain, so I wouldn't waste any money on that in my opinion.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
gtijake has a post on useless mods and TIP is one of them. I got one and installed it and realized there wasn't much value since the restrictions come from the airbox itself. Stock TIP is fine and your 100 dollars is probably better spent elsewhere. I have TIP, VWR Intake Hose, and modified airbox with aFe filter and the filter made the biggest difference. The mods you listed doesn't need a tune for it to function. They are more for sound.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hello everyone. New to VW, I'm seeking some knowledge from members on this forum.

I recently installed K&N replacement filter with APR carbon inlet hose, but I have not installed turbo inlet pipe yet. The reason, is I'm not too sure if a tune is required for TIP installation. I understand that without a tune TIP is essentially useless, but at this time that is not may main concern. My worry; engine damage. Will it do any harm if I were to install TIP w/out a tune?

Also, will I need tune for the following combo; air intake, TIP, muffler delete and APR inlet hose.

Horsepower tuning will come after my warranty expires.

Much appreciated
You don't need a tune when changing the TIP. Any part that you change that slightly improves airflow to and from the engine isn't going to require a different tune.
gtijake has a post on useless mods and TIP is one of them. I got one and installed it and realized there wasn't much value since the restrictions come from the airbox itself. Stock TIP is fine and your 100 dollars is probably better spent elsewhere. I have TIP, VWR Intake Hose, and modified airbox with aFe filter and the filter made the biggest difference. The mods you listed doesn't need a tune for it to function. They are more for sound.
You're just repeating what is the opinion of another forum member. These guys dyno'd a couple of TIPs and showed there is a performance difference.