GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Golf R Integrated Engineering Stage 2 Review

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
When you do, can you ask your mechanic if he sees full 02 sensor readiness with your setup?

Im considering going from IE stage 1 to full stage 2 since it would be only a 100 bucks for the upgrade tune. It seems there are a lot of EQT advocates here and that sounds great but it would be a big cost differential now for me compared to the upgrade tune, plus they started having E30 tunes too. Could aways go that route if I don't like or have issues with the IE tune.

When I asked IE about spacers and DP's they were understandably a bit coy with their response since I believe there is some regulatory pressure on the DP manufacturers these days. There response was the "DP is for off road only, they do not remove 02 codes" and "the best way to achieve readiness is to install the stock DP." So to me this sounds like the IE stage 2 tune is not disabling the 02 sensor (like a test-pipe file), but is a bit unclear if it will achieve readiness.
im ie stage 2 with catless dp. i asked them the same questions and got similar response. They told me they don't change anything that would disrupt getting the car smogged or anything emissions related. How ever my car has not thrown a cel with over 5k miles on the tune.

rrdubbb

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
im ie stage 2 with catless dp. i asked them the same questions and got similar response. They told me they don't change anything that would disrupt getting the car smogged or anything emissions related. How ever my car has not thrown a cel with over 5k miles on the tune.
See, that sounds more like the sensor is coded out then somehow with IE software. How on earth would a catless DP not throw a CEL and the rear 02 is "ready."

Man, I've been searching for weeks and there are volumes on this stuff in here and other forums, and I cant keep the spacer, DP, readiness etc stuff straight at all.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
See, that sounds more like the sensor is coded out then somehow with IE software. How on earth would a catless DP not throw a CEL and the rear 02 is "ready."

Man, I've been searching for weeks and there are volumes on this stuff in here and other forums, and I cant keep the spacer, DP, readiness etc stuff straight at all.
A catless DP would set codes and not pass emissions.

rrdubbb

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
A catless DP would set codes and not pass emissions.
Right. So Socalhatch's report seems to throw cold water on the notion that IE stage 2 tune file doesn't disable that cat-efficiency 02 sensors (i.e., IE stage 2 is not a "test-pipe" file). Or at least, IE tune does not allow them to achieve readiness. Otherwise, it would have given him a CEL with a catless DP, correct?

It looks like the standard approach is necessary for IE tunes. Can someone confirm this is how I should do it:

1. Install DP, Enjoy stage 2 DSG pops and rolling V8s.

When time comes for my annual emissions check due next year (which is visual and OBDII only, but I believe in certain NC counties it requires ALL sensors to display ready).
1. Check OBDeleven for emission codes. If any sensors show incomplete or "not ready" (seems likely).
2. Flash back to stock (at least super easy for IE, at home).
3. Drive around, perhaps perform the standard "drive cycle." Hope that a turbo overboost CEL doesn't fire since running a stock tune with a high-flow cat.
4. After a day or two check OBD11 or other method to see if all sensors are "ready."
-- 4a. If all readiness doesn't set, put 02 spacer in, repeat 3 and 4.
5. If all ready, go get emissions tested and just hope they don't give flack about the IE label on the DP.

Right?

Sorry if I am derailing a smidgen. But this sort of thing is relevant for the OP topic review of the IE tune in a way.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Right. So Socalhatch's report seems to throw cold water on the notion that IE stage 2 tune file doesn't disable that cat-efficiency 02 sensors (i.e., IE stage 2 is not a "test-pipe" file). Or at least, IE tune does not allow them to achieve readiness. Otherwise, it would have given him a CEL with a catless DP, correct?

It looks like the standard approach is necessary for IE tunes. Can someone confirm this is how I should do it:

When time comes for my annual emissions check due next year (which is visual and OBDII only, but I believe in certain NC counties it requires ALL sensors to display ready).
1. Check OBDeleven for emission codes. If any sensors show incomplete or "not ready" (seems likely).
3. Drive around, perhaps perform the standard "drive cycle." Hope that a turbo overboost CEL doesn't fire since running a stock tune with a high-flow cat.
4. After a day or two check OBD11 or other method to see if all sensors are "ready."
5. If all ready, go get emissions tested and just hope they don't give flack about the IE label on the DP.

Right?

Sorry if I am derailing a smidgen. But this sort of thing is relevant for the OP topic review of the IE tune in a way.
I would guess IE is turning off the CEL and if he ran a scan he would have a P0420 catalytic convertor code set and not show readiness as set.

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
not sure how they do it but, running vcds auto scan does not pull up any codes for cats. IMO they have had to disable some monitors for a CEL not to pop up on my car. My MKV with a catless set up threw a code all the time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Okay. so it is turning off the light, but not TECHNICALLY "disabling sensors." Must be how they get around it.
If they turn off the light that stops readiness which won't pass emissions in most states.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT

Right?

A bit late, but I just did this back in May, but in a much shorter window on time.

Went to get my emissions test, failed showing not ready. Emissions dude told me to drive 50 miles.
Drove home, flashed to stock, drove 20 miles and checked with an OBD scanner that showed ready.
Drove back to same emissions place and passed.
Drove home and flashed back to stage 2.

rrdubbb

Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
A bit late, but I just did this back in May, but in a much shorter window on time.

Went to get my emissions test, failed showing not ready. Emissions dude told me to drive 50 miles.
Drove home, flashed to stock, drove 20 miles and checked with an OBD scanner that showed ready.
Thanks for this info.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure about their stage 2 but stage 1 disables 3/4 monitors just like Uni. If stage 2 also does this you’re not passing in a state that requires readiness.

There’s no cel or even soft background codes because they absolutely turn off the monitors. Stage 2 makes a little sense but why it’s done on stage 1 baffles me.

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

did you still have your dp still installed? Are you located in Cali? I only ask because I’m IE stage 1 with the stock dp and I’m moving to Cali this weekend. If I flash back to stock I should be good?

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
did you still have your dp still installed? Are you located in Cali? I only ask because I’m IE stage 1 with the stock dp and I’m moving to Cali this weekend. If I flash back to stock I should be good?

I do still have it installed and I am not in California.
You should be totally fine with a stock flash and stock dp. You might even be fine with the stage 1 file, but flashing to stock should guarantee an emissions pass.