GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GLI Review

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
It's nice to see them bringing the GLI back in line with the Gti like they used to be back in the mk4 days.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Great car for the money, your deal in particular. I couldn’t do it but I don’t need the extra room. A real shame you can’t get the GTI seats.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Test drove a GLI a few weeks ago. Would definitely bump up to the Autobahn myself but it was a nice ride for sure. Could tell the difference in the longer wheelbase in how it took bumps in the road. Definitely a smoother ride. I'm less than 2 years into my GTI so I'm holding off a bit but it's sure going to be a contender when it comes time to get a new one. Great write up and thanks for sharing your experience with it so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
How's the 7 speed DSG? Some people say it's slow to shift, some people say it feels similar to the DSG in the MK7.5 Golf R and 2019 GTI since it's the same unit but just adapted for FWD use.

I find the gear ratios in the 6 speed DSG to be pretty poor. First and 2nd are relatively short, then power falls once it shifts to 3rd and 6th is tall. Thought the ratios would be a bit closer.

Does the GLI have a good amount of soft touch plastic like in the GTI in all the important areas front driver and passengers would touch? I think the base Jetta loaner I sat in didn't have a lot of soft touch plastic.

Looks like a pretty nice ride. The radio placement looks a bit odd though. I was looking at the GLI prices and was surprised to see how low they were. It looks like you scored a good deal.

The high infotainment system is so drivers won't have to look down onto the screen. Now drivers can just look across and their peripheral vision will see what's going on in front of them as they drive.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
How's the 7 speed DSG? Some people say it's slow to shift, some people say it feels similar to the DSG in the MK7.5 Golf R and 2019 GTI since it's the same unit but just adapted for FWD use.

I find the gear ratios in the 6 speed DSG to be pretty poor. First and 2nd are relatively short, then power falls once it shifts to 3rd and 6th is tall. Thought the ratios would be a bit closer.

Does the GLI have a good amount of soft touch plastic like in the GTI in all the important areas front driver and passengers would touch? I think the base Jetta loaner I sat in didn't have a lot of soft touch plastic.

The high infotainment system is so drivers won't have to look down onto the screen. Now drivers can just look across and their peripheral vision will see what's going on in front of them as they drive.

Honestly, I haven't driven the 6 speed DSG in many years so I can't give you a great comparison. Although I really like the new 7 speed DSG and I can't find any fault in it.

The GLI does have a soft tough dash board, window sills and soft arm rests and door panels. I am sure its much better than a base Jetta. Remember, the base Jetta starts at like 18 grand. Its super super cheap. The GLI is probably on par with the SEL Jetta thats a good bit more expensive.

Overall I think the GLI interior is slightly cheaper than the GTI but they got the important parts right.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Will the GLI ever get Cobb AP support? Does the GLI use the same ECU as the GTI? If so, shouldn't be hard to support right?

How much more room does the rear seats have?

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Will the GLI ever get Cobb AP support? Does the GLI use the same ECU as the GTI? If so, shouldn't be hard to support right?

How much more room does the rear seats have?

The 2019s seem to be a little different. I believe APR tunes are available now and in Version 2 0. I think that the JB4 and NPM aren't working just right on the 2019s for some reason but I'll have to let someone who knows more about that to speak to it.
I don't know about Cobb.

The backseat probably has more than 2 additional inches of legroom. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it feels like it

cinderbike

Ready to race!
It's nice to see them bringing the GLI back in line with the Gti like they used to be back in the mk4 days.
Still don’t get why VW doesn’t do like Ford does (did?) and merge the Jetta/Golf and just offer a sedan/hatchback versions.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Still don’t get why VW doesn’t do like Ford does (did?) and merge the Jetta/Golf and just offer a sedan/hatchback versions.

The current generation Jetta is built on the same MQB chassis as the Golf/GTI. Of course the body style is completely different.
The Golf is sold globally while the Jetta is N America only I believe. It does have a larger wheelbase than the Golf to fulfill Americans never ending desire for big cars.

Also, Ford has completely given up on cars. The Mustang is the only car they still make. Fusion, Taurus and Focus are all dead. Insane but true

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
The current generation Jetta is built on the same MQB chassis as the Golf/GTI. Of course the body style is completely different.
The Golf is sold globally while the Jetta is N America only I believe. It does have a larger wheelbase than the Golf to fulfill Americans never ending desire for big cars.

Also, Ford has completely given up on cars. The Mustang is the only car they still make. Fusion, Taurus and Focus are all dead. Insane but true

america... the land of the suv's