GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 4mo tuning options

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
After a few years of rocking my 2016pp in the summer along with my 04 TDI winter warwagon, I'm considering a move to a 2018 or 2019 4motion Sportwagen year round, with a winter biased upgraded suspension.... (the brand new 2019s have literally just finally been liquidated off the lots around here, about 2 months back, so I'm looking at a preowned)

Upside to the 2019 is it's a year newer. Downside is it's ~4 to 5k richer (4k buys a lot of upgrading- 5400 CAD puts an IS38, DP, IC and software from Uni... but that's a canned tune- maybe still use the JB4? dunno)

Are we still significantly limited with software options for 2019s?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
lol, thanks. I said Jb4, minutes later: Poof! Diggs appears.

it was sort of a self imposed exile. Can't quit you baby, gotta put you down for a while...

I got a PM one night from a humorless see you next time former member who had just rejoined and had a hate on for me. A couple hours later got a PM from one of the mods asking me to contribute the good advice but stop being such an asshat... maybe it was better diplospeak, I don't remember. I guess I figured I was funny enough that the mods more or less tolerated my shenanigans. They did for a while. Realistically, I needed to get back to adulting for a while. Tapatalk woke me up at like, 4am. I enjoyed making memes in response within minutes of a post a bit too much.... I had a problem.

Anyway- I'm thinking rather than pouring money into the faithful and well maintained non winter driven GTI, why don't I go buy a former rental stripper model dad bod chasis with a smaller displacement engine, murder it out, add some hot pink underglow and put it into the 11s?

What I'll miss about the GTI: GTI is beautiful to me still. Aesthetically she's still the perfect hatchback. The GTI is so much better looking than the R. The steering wheel is dope. The accent lighting inside still impresses every first time passenger. The headlights rock (the motors are stupid and something else to eventually break, but the beam pattern and high beams are awesome). Handles lovely. The catholic schoolgirl seats still make me erect. It's fun to roll race muscle cars and make them very very sad.

What don't I like? She's a fat ass. DCC stops me from upgrading the suspension. ACC stops me from upgrading the IC. The ride height stops me from wanting to snow drive her like muh deezul. Automatic everything down to the wiper blades is heavy. I want to stick a key in an ignition.

n54tuning, the local-ish BMS distributor also sells corn ejaculate by the 30 gallon barrel, and he'll deliver to me. I'd like corn semen and an is38 in a wagon with fake plastic spinners.... or a wood grain on green wrap.... something assholey enough for me.

Would it be better to be a 2018 over a 2019 for tuning options? If I can use the corn semen with a JB4 tune on top of a Uni or APR tune, is that the best I can do?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ed just released a huge update to the 2019 market for the eqt tuning options. If the money is there, I'd vote 19. I have an 18 r, and was almost in your same boat on new 19 or used 18. Finally I found one with everything I wanted already done to it, with only 3k miles on it, for almost 10k less than the new 19. So I guess it boils down to price and availability.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Also, Welcome back man!

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Ed just released a huge update to the 2019 market for the eqt tuning options. If the money is there, I'd vote 19. I have an 18 r, and was almost in your same boat on new 19 or used 18. Finally I found one with everything I wanted already done to it, with only 3k miles on it, for almost 10k less than the new 19. So I guess it boils down to price and availability.

EQT would probably be the ideal tuner, if he's able... Seems like probably overkill, but I'd probably want to set up 3 tunes for the car: One for E0 Shell 91 wintergas, one for Petro94, one for E30 mix with Petro94. Looks like you got a pretty sweet deal- selling a modded car can cost you lots, buying a modded car can save you lots. Congrats!

Also, Welcome back man!

Thanks! (now with less animal mating memes)

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
EQT does not have tuning ability for the 4Mo 1.8s quite yet but is working on it apparently.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Dang. Sort of what I thought, when looking at their site. Sure hope they do. The Dynos of the multiple tunes posted for the 2019 GTI look real good. Corn = 2x the gains of stage 2 GTI on premium gas is awesome.

edit: Nice ride. Your setup with PS4S and the next step up turbo is basically where I'll probably finish at.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Dang. Sort of what I thought, when looking at their site. Sure hope they do. The Dynos of the multiple tunes posted for the 2019 GTI look real good. Corn = 2x the gains of stage 2 GTI on premium gas is awesome.

edit: Nice ride. Your setup with PS4S and the next step up turbo is basically where I'll probably finish at.
The OTS tune options from Unitronic etc. are just fine - the main reason to go with something more custom would be bigger turbos/fueling needs.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
EQT received the beta file for the 1.8T GSW/AT on Tuesday from EcuTek, as did 5150. So they should be able to do custom tunes via EcuTek for our cars now!

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Now, where's Mr Ed so we can hear it from the horse's mouth....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
EQT received the beta file for the 1.8T GSW/AT on Tuesday from EcuTek, as did 5150. So they should be able to do custom tunes via EcuTek for our cars now!
I had read that but I figure until someone has the first tune signed/sealed/delivered we didn't have anything yet.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Was planning to continue on the UM platform when I get the MPI and LPFP installed with their proflex, but this seems like an interesting option. Would really like the logging capabilities too. Does anyone know if they are going to support an auto adjusting flexfuel tune like Proflex or would it have to be different maps for E30 or E85, etc like Cobb?

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
EcuTek has said they plan to release Flex support by the end of the year, but TBD. They may even beat COBB to it if that’s the case.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I'm still not 100% clear- do the 2018s and 2019s have identical availability for tunes?
Not sure if I'm just looking at old not updated websites, but Uni and APR look to both have options up to is38s on 2019s.

Any thoughts on anything else that I should be on the lookout for? It'll be a Trendline/Comfortline model- no real interest in bells or whistles for this car. I'm really liking the idea of blacked out everything with hot pink underglow 'victory lights'... lol.