Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Can only get plaid seats in a GTI.

Or a Volvo V60

Although I'm not going to lie, I prefer the wool seats in the XC60:

TheBobmanNH

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Wish I could have found a GTI in the states with the Tartan seats, no luck though.

Drove a DSG Audi for two years and went back to the 6MT for the GTI. Just... who I am I guess. Could never get used to the DSG. Luckily don't need approval from Clarkson. ;)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
eh, the plaid in the first image is very suburban mom looking to me. as is the target demographic of the vehicles lol. I'll take my red GTI plaid
Well yeah, it's a Volvo wagon, not gonna roll something overly sporty. I do wish they'd offer that material with black leather instead of that light colored stuff, but I hate light interiors in general, so that might color that. That's why I prefer the second picture, they do that with an all black interior, works much better to my eyes.

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
"
It’s strange. Not that long ago, I was very much in the manuals-are-for-men camp. I saw the automatic and the double-clutch alternatives as a sign of weakness. In my mind they were a way of saying that you were a functionary, that you were willing to relinquish control to an algorithm. “Alexander the Great would never have ordered a car with an automatic gearbox,”I would thunder at people who had. Now, though, I reckon buying a manual is like buying a television that has no remote control. Who says: “I like getting out of my chair to change the channel”? Maybe it’s because I’m getting old. But more likely it’s because the modern flappy paddle can change cogs far more quickly than any human being. And your left leg is free to tap along to the radio.
"

- Jeremy Clarkson

I'm pretty sure they're the same seats. I have a 2016 SE, and have a buddy with a 2017 Autobahn. Seats seem the exact same to me. Doubt either is real leather.

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
On my A/T cars I have always used my left leg to stop the car. Might atrophy otherwise. One of my very few complaints about the GTI is the tiny brake pedal on A/T cars. Hard to use my left foot to brake after negotiating around the steering column. My GLI has a wider pedal that works better using my left foot with the DSG.

cb1111

I feel like the bolstering was slightly better with the fabric seats. Other than that, the overall look and feel of the leatherette is good in my books. I believe they use the same leatherette on the steering wheel with the SE. My 2018 S steering wheel leather was a little shinier, little stiffer. Not sure if its just a change they made to the wheel for 2020, or because its an SE.
The seating areas on the SE and Autobahn are leather and the steering wheel is leather covered. The sides and back (i.e. those areas that your body doesn't touch when you're sitting in the seat) are synthetic.

There is no leatherette option in the US for the GTI

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Yes! No "How to make your DSG Suck Less" Stickies yet. One of my deciding factors really.

My cars have been manual manual transmissions since I was 18, I'm 34 now. When I was younger it was because manuals were cool and special and different, and you felt like a race car driver. Besides that, what kept me from autos was mostly how bad they were until the last few years. The new ZF8 is a fantastic transmission for your standard torque converter auto, GM's autos are excellent, and of course VW's DSG is arguably the best dual clutch on the market.

When I started looking to get into my first GTI about 2-3 weeks ago, I only looked at models with the DSG. I'm only 3 days into ownership but as of now I don't miss shifting at all. Plus DSG farts are fun lol