GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 S 6 MT to 2020 SE DSG honest comparison

STelfmachine

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
As many of the new threads start, long time lurker here who finally decided to post. 2018 we purchased a 2018 GTI S 6MT as our first VW. Former vehicles included multiple EP civics and 2.5 impreza. Always driving a manual in the past, it just seemed right to go with the 6 MT on the S and for the price at the time, everything felt right. After purchasing the car in Feb 2018, and discovering the forum, and the threads on manual vs DSG, I always, at heart, wanted to side with the manual crew. After a few days in the new 2020 SE, I can honestly say that there is a new discovery period I am enjoying with the vehicle. It is really amazing, even unconsciously, how much the shifting of the gears can take your attention from the other enjoyable aspects of this vehicle. You can really enjoy the handling and the smooth ride with the DSG. From pulling in and out of parking lots, to fumbling with cell phones and the dreaded, should I be in 1st or 2nd gear at this moment, are all afterthoughts with the DSG.
Nighttime driving with the adaptive headlights is also a huge difference between the models. I don’t think there’s any argument how much better the SE headlamps LOOK than the S, but the actual experience of driving with them make them something you can not simply classify as aesthetically better, they simply create a safer and more pleasant night time driving experience. I thought the biggest thing for me to get over would be the cloth seats to leatherette interior. I really liked to use this as self affirmation that the S model was tolerable over the SE because the seats looked awesome and had character. The leatherette really matures the car that I could equate to the way you dress at 18 vs 35. It just makes the car more “mature” all around. I have always been a sunroof guy as well. I enjoy the fresh air and looking up to the sky above. So it was a tough pill to swallow again on the S not having that option. The few days I’ve enjoyed the warm Maryland autumn, the sunroof will be open as often as possible. Overall, I loved my time with the 2018 S and it opened my eyes to how a fun hatch should be. Now, almost 2 years later, I wouldn’t have known what to look for without the experience of owning the S. And also, the forum was a big help in showing me what I would like out of a Volkswagen.

Attachments

• A456F147-9B4D-4839-A5D7-85CB8E981E1A.jpeg
    A456F147-9B4D-4839-A5D7-85CB8E981E1A.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 104
  • 73B94692-E2CC-4C84-AF08-8A4D837334E9.jpeg
    73B94692-E2CC-4C84-AF08-8A4D837334E9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 103

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Congrats on your upgrade and welcome to the DSG club. I drove manuals all my life and MK7 was my first automatic.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I had an automatic once. And I had leatherette once. But yeah, halogen lights need to go. Isn't the Mk8 standard with LED's?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Is the se leatherette? The autobahn is leather, and my owners manual specifically talks about cleaning/treating it. Generally, I hate leather and much prefer cloth, especially the plaid cloth, but I totally agree with you that leather matures the car. It's also a lot easier to clean with a baby and 75lb dog!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
As many of the new threads start, long time lurker here who finally decided to post. 2018 we purchased a 2018 GTI S 6MT as our first VW. Former vehicles included multiple EP civics and 2.5 impreza. Always driving a manual in the past, it just seemed right to go with the 6 MT on the S and for the price at the time, everything felt right. After purchasing the car in Feb 2018, and discovering the forum, and the threads on manual vs DSG, I always, at heart, wanted to side with the manual crew. After a few days in the new 2020 SE, I can honestly say that there is a new discovery period I am enjoying with the vehicle. It is really amazing, even unconsciously, how much the shifting of the gears can take your attention from the other enjoyable aspects of this vehicle. You can really enjoy the handling and the smooth ride with the DSG. From pulling in and out of parking lots, to fumbling with cell phones and the dreaded, should I be in 1st or 2nd gear at this moment, are all afterthoughts with the DSG.
Nighttime driving with the adaptive headlights is also a huge difference between the models. I don’t think there’s any argument how much better the SE headlamps LOOK than the S, but the actual experience of driving with them make them something you can not simply classify as aesthetically better, they simply create a safer and more pleasant night time driving experience. I thought the biggest thing for me to get over would be the cloth seats to leatherette interior. I really liked to use this as self affirmation that the S model was tolerable over the SE because the seats looked awesome and had character. The leatherette really matures the car that I could equate to the way you dress at 18 vs 35. It just makes the car more “mature” all around. I have always been a sunroof guy as well. I enjoy the fresh air and looking up to the sky above. So it was a tough pill to swallow again on the S not having that option. The few days I’ve enjoyed the warm Maryland autumn, the sunroof will be open as often as possible. Overall, I loved my time with the 2018 S and it opened my eyes to how a fun hatch should be. Now, almost 2 years later, I wouldn’t have known what to look for without the experience of owning the S. And also, the forum was a big help in showing me what I would like out of a Volkswagen.

"
It’s strange. Not that long ago, I was very much in the manuals-are-for-men camp. I saw the automatic and the double-clutch alternatives as a sign of weakness. In my mind they were a way of saying that you were a functionary, that you were willing to relinquish control to an algorithm. “Alexander the Great would never have ordered a car with an automatic gearbox,”I would thunder at people who had. Now, though, I reckon buying a manual is like buying a television that has no remote control. Who says: “I like getting out of my chair to change the channel”? Maybe it’s because I’m getting old. But more likely it’s because the modern flappy paddle can change cogs far more quickly than any human being. And your left leg is free to tap along to the radio.
"

- Jeremy Clarkson

Is the se leatherette? The autobahn is leather, and my owners manual specifically talks about cleaning/treating it. Generally, I hate leather and much prefer cloth, especially the plaid cloth, but I totally agree with you that leather matures the car. It's also a lot easier to clean with a baby and 75lb dog!

I'm pretty sure they're the same seats. I have a 2016 SE, and have a buddy with a 2017 Autobahn. Seats seem the exact same to me. Doubt either is real leather.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Tartan and Flappy paddles! Welcome.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have leather and like leather but you have to admit the cloth seats are awesome. 99.9% of all cars have boring-ass leather seats. How sweet is it you can get tartan cloth? I hope VW keeps it at least on one trim level forever, would be a shame to lose one of the main identifying marks of a GTI.

This is how I feel. Leather is literally available on nearly every automobile in existence, besides a Nissan Versa, Chevy Spark, or the like.

Can only get plaid seats in a GTI.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure they're the same seats. I have a 2016 SE, and have a buddy with a 2017 Autobahn. Seats seem the exact same to me. Doubt either is real leather.
I remember questioning if it was real leather and then eventually finding that it's "100% semi-aniline leather" in one of the manuals, meaning that even the back of it is leather. If that's also "100% true" , only vw would know I guess...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I remember questioning if it was real leather and then eventually finding that it's "100% semi-aniline leather" in one of the manuals, meaning that even the back of it is leather. If that's also "100% true" , only vw would know I guess...

For those wondering what 'semi-aniline' is...

"Semi-aniline leather is a successful compromise that combines a high degree of naturalness with comfort and durability. Semi-aniline leather is surface-treated with a water-based mixture of dyefinish with a small amount of pigment. This treatment produces a leather that is soft and supple, yet more resistant to heavy wear. Semi-aniline leather is easy to clean. The natural markings on the original hide are still visible, but are less pronounced than in aniline leather."

i just assumed they were more of a vinyl leather type material.

STelfmachine

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I feel like the bolstering was slightly better with the fabric seats. Other than that, the overall look and feel of the leatherette is good in my books. I believe they use the same leatherette on the steering wheel with the SE. My 2018 S steering wheel leather was a little shinier, little stiffer. Not sure if its just a change they made to the wheel for 2020, or because its an SE.