GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 R - Homelink Mirror Standard?

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
Homelink mirror for a 2018 R w/DAP, this is the one I used to add it on.

https://www.shopdap.com/auto-dimming-homelink-rearview-mirror-veh-w-rain-sensor-and-dap.html

Install is seriously easy, you'll likely break a clip on the trim as it's a bit awkward to get it apart and seems to be a common thing but it doesn't really have any negative effects (and replacement trim is cheap if you care).

My only tip was instead of using the mirror glass/body itself to twist the old off and new on, use a small adjustable wrench and grab onto the cast aluminum mounting arm. That way you won't put all the force through the ball joint. It takes little effort to turn though so not much fuss.

So it does fit the 2018 Golf R? I thought someone else said it didn't fit because the base was too small? Sorry for the confusion (it doesn't take much).

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Actually, yes. I'd need the one with the Park Assist, is that the one you have?

Is your park assist on the left or right side of your shifter?

The buttons for the Apex are on the right.

There is no park assist on the Apex bank.

Here’s what I have...

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
So it does fit the 2018 Golf R? I thought someone else said it didn't fit because the base was too small? Sorry for the confusion (it doesn't take much).

Yup, fits perfectly. There's a lot of mismatched info out there but if you have a 2018 Golf R with the driver assist options (standard in the US) then it works fine. Install time is less than 15 minutes and it works great.

It's worth knowing though that it only works with ignition on and the buttons do nothing otherwise. This is good for me because if I'm ever parked outside people can't break in and push the button to open garage door.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Yup, fits perfectly. There's a lot of mismatched info out there but if you have a 2018 Golf R with the driver assist options (standard in the US) then it works fine. Install time is less than 15 minutes and it works great.

It's worth knowing though that it only works with ignition on and the buttons do nothing otherwise. This is good for me because if I'm ever parked outside people can't break in and push the button to open garage door.

FWIW, I linked the same one, and it did't fit my '18 R.

Order it, and if it does't fit, return it.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
What aspect didn't work for you?? I'm curious because I've read of people saying that but never seen detail of how or why

The cover that goes over the bottom of the mirror that you pop off, physically wouldn't fit over the homelink mirror.

IDK, maybe the tolerances were off on one of the parts, but it snapped right back on the OEM mirror.

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
Is your park assist on the left or right side of your shifter?

The buttons for the Apex are on the right.

There is no park assist on the Apex bank.

Here’s what I have...

My Park Assist is on the right side of the shifter. So yours won't work unfortunately. Thanks anyway!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

I know, I had referenced that thread when I ordered it from DAP. However, it definitely would not fit my car. Others seemed to have no problem, but I'm just sharing my experience :)

Maybe each part was on the tail end of tolerances, but there was physically no way the cover would snap back on to conceal the mirror arm.

On the plus side, DAP refunded my money, and I used the money for a RSB instead :D

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
I know, I had referenced that thread when I ordered it from DAP. However, it definitely would not fit my car. Others seemed to have no problem, but I'm just sharing my experience :)

Maybe each part was on the tail end of tolerances, but there was physically no way the cover would snap back on to conceal the mirror arm.

On the plus side, DAP refunded my money, and I used the money for a RSB instead :D

That's bizarre! Did you happen to take pictures of the two mirrors when you had them out together? I know I am the type to think about it, then just say screw it and plug away without any pictures to reference later.

Might help to figure out an easy way for people to check compatibility before ordering. Or they can just get the Apex unit which is honestly super cool too

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
The apex one is almost just as much as buying factory mirror once you add all the pieces up and the factory mirror installs in minutes. Apex you need to tear apart console and run the wiring. Factory one includes a compass in mirror and is plug and play. I made a video on it. Your vw dealer can get you correct one.
The other thing I didn’t like in the apex one is the button would be on the right side of console, so a pain to quickly hit when car is in gear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFN_DxAojOg

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
As I'm back in the hunt for an R (including 2018), I'm going to revive this thread to try to get a more definitive answer. Anybody else either ABLE or UNABLE to install (or have dealer install) the HomeLink mirror? thanks