GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 R - Homelink Mirror Standard?

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry but can't seem to find the answer to this...

Does the 2018 Golf R, DSG, come standard with the homelink garage door opener in the mirror? Or is it a dealer-added option like on the GTI?

Thanks

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
def dealer added.. I've seen a couple people get it from the dealer with it already installed before purchase. You can also add it yourself easily.

Is it really that easy? Mine is a 17 Golf-R and has that HUGE mirror base for the bezel-less auto dimming mirror.

I've installed Gentex mirrors plenty of times on cars that came with standard non-powered rear view mirrors, but when I sat that huge base on my Golf-R, I ended up just mounting the garage door opener inside the cubby wall. LOL

It works just fine and completely hidden while the cubby door is closed, and can fit my iPhone inside with cubby door closed while running CarPlay.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. Any other differ nice between the two mirrors other than homelink? Aesthetically the same? If so, maybe I’ll also go the cubby route

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Mine didn't have homelink, just auto dimming.

The dealer looked up my VIN and said the OE homelink mirror wasn't compatible. I ordered it from DAP anyway, and it wouldn't fit. The base that snaps over the bottom was physically too small. I went old school and did went with a garage door opener on the visor.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW I went the double apex route and the quality of the switch and components are top notch. It has the added benefit of filling in one (or both) of the blanks around the shifter.

Did you install the double apex yourself? If the dealer did it, what did they charge for labor?

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Mine didn't have homelink, just auto dimming.

The dealer looked up my VIN and said the OE homelink mirror wasn't compatible. I ordered it from DAP anyway, and it wouldn't fit. The base that snaps over the bottom was physically too small. I went old school and did went with a garage door opener on the visor.

What pn did you order?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I have a two button Double Apex Garage Kit I’ve never installed.

You interested?

JS12

Ready to race!
Did you install the double apex yourself? If the dealer did it, what did they charge for labor?

Yeah I installed it myself. Very straightforward though I have ripped apart quite a few dashes in my day for audio installs. Main thing to be careful around is not scratching or cracking the glossy trim pieces.

Varinn

Passed Driver's Ed
Homelink mirror for a 2018 R w/DAP, this is the one I used to add it on.

https://www.shopdap.com/auto-dimming-homelink-rearview-mirror-veh-w-rain-sensor-and-dap.html

Install is seriously easy, you'll likely break a clip on the trim as it's a bit awkward to get it apart and seems to be a common thing but it doesn't really have any negative effects (and replacement trim is cheap if you care).

My only tip was instead of using the mirror glass/body itself to twist the old off and new on, use a small adjustable wrench and grab onto the cast aluminum mounting arm. That way you won't put all the force through the ball joint. It takes little effort to turn though so not much fuss.