GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE, shocks shot at 36K?

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
What's the average lifespan of a MK7.5's shocks / suspension?

I get the feeling that my shocks are worn/wearing.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
What kind of symptoms are you seeing that make you think that? Also, is this 36k miles mostly daily highway driving? Pothole and speedbump filled city miles? Auto-x and track days? If they've seen some abuse they could easily be due for replacement at 36k.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
I'm the original owner. Mostly basic, daily driving around Washington DC and/or Westchester, NY (awful roads in both locations). No auto-x or track.

The car feels like it's crashing over bumps / potholes. Suspension feels really busy and unsettled. Some 'creaking' sounds over speed bumps at very low speeds.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Never hurts to try, but will almost certainly be deemed a wear item that has had an acceptable life span.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My general rule of thumb for Sachs OE shocks on VWs, BMWs and Audis is 40k miles. In my experience, they're generally shot by that point. It does seem like Koni has the better offering for the Mk7 than my usual go to of Bilsteins.

I hate to admit this, but after years of saying I didn't see the value in DCC, I've absolutely seen the light now, Monroe clearly knows what they're doing for the Mk7/8.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
My general rule of thumb for Sachs OE shocks on VWs, BMWs and Audis is 40k miles. In my experience, they're generally shot by that point. It does seem like Koni has the better offering for the Mk7 than my usual go to of Bilsteins.

I hate to admit this, but after years of saying I didn't see the value in DCC, I've absolutely seen the light now, Monroe clearly knows what they're doing for the Mk7/8.
I bought a 2011 BMW 328i wagon (E91) new July 2010. Sold it in 2017 w/ 140K miles w/ original suspension/shocks which still felt like new. That said, I had the factory motorsports suspension package (ZSP) so I'm not sure if these were Sachs or another OEM.

On MK7.5, Koni over Bilstein B6?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I bought a 2011 BMW 328i wagon (E91) new July 2010. Sold it in 2017 w/ 140K miles w/ original suspension/shocks which still felt like new. That said, I had the factory motorsports suspension package (ZSP) so I'm not sure if these were Sachs or another OEM.

On MK7.5, Koni over Bilstein B6?
Yeah, even M Cars are on Sachs. Yes, I’d recommend Koni over Bilsteins for a Mk7.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
I’m nearing 30k on a 2018 with bilstein b6 and eibach sport springs. Is 40k still a good rule of thumb to follow? Feels ok still though sometimes i feel on some bumps it bounces more than usual.

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
i had 3 shocks replaced under warranty (both front and one rear) at 18months/14000kms on our Mk7.

they all had failed by 35kms so I fitted a set of Bilstiens. Will probably try the Konis when they wear out.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’m nearing 30k on a 2018 with bilstein b6 and eibach sport springs. Is 40k still a good rule of thumb to follow? Feels ok still though sometimes i feel on some bumps it bounces more than usual.
No, you should be good on Bilsteins for a lot of miles. You can have them rebuilt too, but I put 100k miles on mine on a BMW with lots of track miles and they were still good.