GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE: How would you mod with $5k? $10k? $15k?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
It's easy for builds to get expensive. There are a lot of options for these cars. If you're good at sticking to a budget and are more power focused then it's pretty inexpensive to get a lot out of these motors and be happy.

If you suffer from ADHD like me and go back and forth between aesthetics and horsepower and suspension and interior and exterior and whatever else, expect to spend a lot before you finally get one or more of those aspects up to your liking.

Biggest waste would be to mod, tune, be unhappy and further mod, further tune, be unhappy, etc. Upgrading upgrades because you didn't do it right the first time is the biggest concern for me. Just spend the money the first time. Overbuild if you think there is a chance you'll want more.

I didn't do the clutch or the suspension myself but thus far have done everything else and I'm going to be pushing $20k before I'm done. Whatever "done" means. And I haven't done anything twice yet save the front splitter.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So first you go with a tune, then you upgrade to a hybrid. You try out 3 different tunes and create a 10000 post thread. Then as soon as it's perfect, you sell it and get a high mileage R. Then you sell that and get the exact same car but with lower mileage.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
From what I've seen it doesn't t shine in any one area.

@El_bigote_AJ said it best. Just go vortex xl. That's what I'd do if I were doing things all over again.
I mean if you’re looking for a middle ground for a cheap price tag, it’s definitely competitive.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S

Fair. Would probably be more noticeable upgrade for you if you have IS38 already. Based on @CarbonDub 's tests in Mexico, it sounds like a hoot. 2260 seems like an IS38 on roids with earlier spool than DTR. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, but would probably be happy with either vs. my IS20

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Fair. Would probably be more noticeable upgrade for you if you have IS38 already. Based on @CarbonDub 's tests in Mexico, it sounds like a hoot. 2260 seems like an IS38 on roids with earlier spool than DTR. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, but would probably be happy with either vs. my IS20
The later spool compared to my is20 still pisses me off 😂

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The reality of chasing the middle ground cost items for instant gratification is when you stretch it out over a time period of even say 2 years of ownership is that savings between $2,010 vs $1,449 (it’s not on a introductory savings anymore) of $23.50 a month worth the lingering question of “should I just went vortex xl (or any other is38 hybrid in reality).

I came to that realization at beginning of buying my GTI when it came to getting the MP4S tires that I really wanted or saving money on the firehawks that I knew were “good enough”… stretched over even a conservative mileage life the $8 bucks a month I was about to save just wasn’t worth the regret to me. Lol

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
For cost/benefit I would go IS38/tune/downpipe/intercooler and get around 360whp.
Depending on fuel in your area 92/93 octane 400whp is easy with a standard Vortex/GT2260/DTR etc... but if you want more you need fuel upgrades (high pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel pump, multi-port injection, etc....) Fu*k that. Mo powa mo money mo problems.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
DTR has excellent cost-benefit IMO.

You can spend $2-3k more (factor in tune, access port, hardware and fueling) chasing 100 more whp with a hybrid/BT setup, or spend $500-1k more to make 30-50 less whp but with slightly quicker spooling with an IS38.

Some folks don’t want or need to chase hp figures down the rabbit hole of diminishing returns. And honestly, from the figures I’ve seen, I’d put the DTR with fueling into the bucket of diminishing returns too.

Back to the cost, unless you literally have an ongoing monthly budget for car mods on top of maintenance, it doesn’t makes sense to factor the cost of a major car modification over years of ownership - plus by that logic you will be able to purchase the mods, what, when you’re ready to sell the car? Some folks have a total amount they are willing to spend on extras, and you gotta respect that.

The best decision for you comes down to your budget and your goals.

(That said… if you’re asking people on a platform enthusiast forum for modding advice, you can’t really expect to get objective, levelheaded feedback. I mean come on… upgrading the turbo is not a levelheaded decision in the first place lol)

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Op wants a true 400+ car, I didn’t see him asking how to reduce his budget…

Im giving a realistic perspective to get there… what @CarbonDub is doing above was taking OPs thread and making it about him and his justification for his purchase 😂.