GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE: How would you mod with $5k? $10k? $15k?

Hoff

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Man if I had $10-15k for blow on mods, I would just buy a different car. S3, R, TTS, 987, etc. Many great options out there. Just my opinion.
I hear you and I don't disagree. This is my daily driver and I like that it's only 5 years old, been taken good care of, and has the utility of a hatchback. I also don't want to get into a cheaper, older car that might be more performant but have unforeseen reliability issues. If it was only a toy, I'd be right there with you.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Thanks for the info, this goes deeper into one of the questions I had. My previous car was a BMW M4 Comp and the power delivery was instant even at low rpms and throughout the whole rev range. In the GTI, there is a big hesitation when you give it throttle. I don't think it's a turbo spooling difference, it's just there was no hesitation to apply even small amounts of power from the pedal in the BMW. Is this something a DSG tune might address or is it because the BMW had more power and twin turbos?
That's kinda strange. With the IS20, there should be very little lag - torque curves/dyno graphs usually show a peak in torque around 2500 RPM. I'm sure the M4 had more torque out of the gate, but not too sure about less lag, the IS20 is very small and should spool very quickly.

I don't think the DSG tune would solve that - DSG tunes are usually good for putting you in the right gear for power, and not economy.

Hoff

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
That's kinda strange. With the IS20, there should be very little lag - torque curves/dyno graphs usually show a peak in torque around 2500 RPM. I'm sure the M4 had more torque out of the gate, but not too sure about less lag, the IS20 is very small and should spool very quickly.

I don't think the DSG tune would solve that - DSG tunes are usually good for putting you in the right gear for power, and not economy.
Ok, maybe it's because the torque is so much lower. I bought one of those throttle pedal tuners thinking that might help the throttle response. It didn't do anything other than increase the throttle amount which doesn't help response time.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Ok, maybe it's because the torque is so much lower. I bought one of those throttle pedal tuners thinking that might help the throttle response. It didn't do anything other than increase the throttle amount which doesn't help response time.
You're untuned, right? These cars are unfortunately slow when stock

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
OBD11 - there is a setting for improved throttle response time. Helped my car big time but mine is a 6sp. Not sure how affects a DSG car.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
You're untuned, right? These cars are unfortunately slow when stock
Hey All! Let me know if this is a redundant question as I’m a newbie to the GTI modding world.

I have a 7.5 GTI SE automatic with 20k miles. It’s stock except for an off the shelf Cobb stage 1 tune and a K&N air filter - see? I said I was a newbie.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Hey All! Let me know if this is a redundant question as I’m a newbie to the GTI modding world.

I have a 7.5 GTI SE automatic with 20k miles. It’s stock except for an off the shelf Cobb stage 1 tune and a K&N air filter - see? I said I was a newbie.
My bad - read that before, and forgot.

Hoff

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
OBD11 - there is a setting for improved throttle response time. Helped my car big time but mine is a 6sp. Not sure how affects a DSG car.
I did try that and didn't notice a difference, that's why I assumed maybe it needed a DSG tune? The bimmer had a DCT which was very reactive.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
If you're on a Cobb OTS tune, jump ship to EQT/Sneeky. I have EQT and love it, but I know Sneeky is supposed to be very good as well. If you've got that much budget anyway, pick up a Baun Performance downpipe (CEL-free is a huge plus in the long term), and get some good tires and lighter wheels on it. See how you feel there, and if you think you need more or not. Good pads and fluid are a great starting point for brakes, and then as far as suspension is concerned, start with your sway bars (I did rear first, waiting on front) and again, see what you think it needs.

Tires above all else, though. They're the least interesting mod to people who don't know, but if you know, you know. I've got a Mazda3 that makes nearly half the power the GTI makes, but the tires are MUCH better, and it makes the whole car just as good of a driving experience.

I think the list @GTI Jake put forth is a very good one. I was hoping to make the trip from PA to him to get a downpipe, but things are going a little differently this year than I had hoped, so the revised plan is just to buy one and have it shipped like a normal human. A stage 2 GTI is going to be a damned quick car. Don't be fooled by the numbers game, there's a lot that makes a car fun to drive, and dynographs and weight aren't going to tell the whole story by a long shot.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
In my former life I would say 15k for mods on a GTI is crazy….but when I quick math the mod/dumb money spend on this car over the last 3 years…even with doing the labor myself that number has very much been surpassed 😂. But also has to do with my working the car is phases and each phase certain items made me change my mind or course of action. Also trying to be budget conscious on the initial item selections while knowing what I really wanted in the causes me to buy twice and cry twice (3s and 4s in the case of some items)

If I was to do it again with mk7/7.5 GTI as just a fun,fast,complaint daily street car I would try to keep it SIMPLE hit the top items for me and just swallow the higher upfront costs.

Wheels and tires - nice forged or flow formed 18x8.5s ET45 with 235/40/18 tires (not spend the crazy amount of time, money and efforts fitting aggressive ass wheel and tire setups I have done.

Suspension - good quality coilovers that I didn’t prioritize getting super low on but just ones that get me a lowering spring like ride height and get them **corner balanced (Öhlins R&T, or KW v2 or 3s - with oem too mounts and Eurosport pucks) I wouldn’t bother with sway bars or bushing or arms again for a dd)

Power - I would just do a zero to hero XL full kit Zero to hero (having a FWD car and seeing standard vortex turbo dyno I personally don’t think it will be that pleasant to have such a lower more abrupt powercurve with the smaller hybrid since it’s all going to waste regardless when trying to put the power down) and obviously the other necessary items like intercooler & downpipe.

Wheels & tires $2000-$4000
Suspension $1800-$2800
Power Mods - $6800-$7800

Not even with labor you’re at ($10,600 to $14,600) depending on your selections with a “stage 3+” car 😂😂 While I get a first glance it sounds crazy to think 15k in mods… but when you quick view above number and think about how many of us member here actually have GTI’s and R as decked out “stage 3+” cars it’s really not that off base at all.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I spent around 10K, most of the work outside of clutch has been done by myself. I don't track or AutoX, 0 regrets. This thing rips. Can't wait till summer wheels are back on.

Hoff

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
In my former life I would say 15k for mods on a GTI is crazy….but when I quick math the mod/dumb money spend on this car over the last 3 years…even with doing the labor myself that number has very much been surpassed 😂. But also has to do with my working the car is phases and each phase certain items made me change my mind or course of action. Also trying to be budget conscious on the initial item selections while knowing what I really wanted in the causes me to buy twice and cry twice (3s and 4s in the case of some items)

If I was to do it again with mk7/7.5 GTI as just a fun,fast,complaint daily street car I would try to keep it SIMPLE hit the top items for me and just swallow the higher upfront costs.

Wheels and tires - nice forged or flow formed 18x8.5s ET45 with 235/40/18 tires (not spend the crazy amount of time, money and efforts fitting aggressive ass wheel and tire setups I have done.

Suspension - good quality coilovers that I didn’t prioritize getting super low on but just ones that get me a lowering spring like ride height and get them **corner balanced (Öhlins R&T, or KW v2 or 3s - with oem too mounts and Eurosport pucks) I wouldn’t bother with sway bars or bushing or arms again for a dd)

Power - I would just do a zero to hero XL full kit Zero to hero (having a FWD car and seeing standard vortex turbo dyno I personally don’t think it will be that pleasant to have such a lower more abrupt powercurve with the smaller hybrid since it’s all going to waste regardless when trying to put the power down) and obviously the other necessary items like intercooler & downpipe.

Wheels & tires $2000-$4000
Suspension $1800-$2800
Power Mods - $6800-$7800

Not even with labor you’re at ($10,600 to $14,600) depending on your selections with a “stage 3+” car 😂😂 While I get a first glance it sounds crazy to think 15k in mods… but when you quick view above number and think about how many of us member here actually have GTI’s and R as decked out “stage 3+” cars it’s really not that off base at all.

Yeah, I didn’t think 10 to15k would be that crazy based on what I’ve looked at, paying a shop to do it, and doing it all at once. Also I want to be realistic as modifications on anything - car, house, business, etc. usually come with a cost overage that you can’t account for.

Great advice, thanks!

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Gt2260s with tune, transmission tune, nice rims, good tires, Bilstein b14, intake, intercooler, motor mounts and dogbone insert. Good enough!

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7