GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE 6MT AC Condenser Damaged by rock (22K miles)

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
I have a 2018 VW GTI SE 6MT with less than 23K miles. I brought it in to Volkswagen of White Plains (NY) for regular service and to report that my AC had stopped working. I assumed that the AC was due to an electrical issue.

Turns out that my AC condenser appears to have been damaged by a rock. To replace, I'm quoted nearly $1700.00. Ouch.

Have others had this happen?

1620757591652.png

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have a 2018 VW GTI SE 6MT with less than 23K miles. I brought it in to Volkswagen of White Plains (NY) for regular service and to report that my AC had stopped working. I assumed that the AC was due to an electrical issue.

Turns out that my AC condenser appears to have been damaged by a rock. To replace, I'm quoted nearly $1700.00. Ouch.

Have others had this happen?

View attachment 213318
Not on my GTI but I did have it happen on another car.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Wtf? My condenser has plenty of spots where you can tell it was hit by a rock but the AC still works

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Most AC condensers are known for this....just that as the car grilles have got more open for design purposes the worse its got...

I made a internal drop in grill out of stainless steel mesh, edged with car door rubber trim & fitted it 6yrs ago

DSCF2650-reduced.jpg
Grille-mesh.jpg

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Sucks AC isn’t covered under warranty but that price is them dreaming; and some dreams must die. Take it to an independent shop if you must, or DIY.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sucks AC isn’t covered under warranty but that price is them dreaming; and some dreams must die. Take it to an independent shop if you must, or DIY.
AC is covered under warranty but obviously not for rock damage.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just to put the icing on the cake..

VW make a plastic ladder type protector which fits over the water containing bars for the "R" side intercoolers....& the DSG ones for the 2lt engines
Item no.33
coolant cooling system; D - 04.11.2013>> - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2015 year] (7zap.com)

Item 9
coolant cooling system; additional cooler for cool... - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2015 year] (7zap.com)

& also the for the previous mk6 Golf AC condenser ..
Item no.15
refrigerant circuit; a/c condenser - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2011 year] (7zap.com)

.but that won't fit ours as the bar spacing is different ....first thing I tried when I got the car...

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Turns out to be covered by comprehensive ($100 deductible).

Still, design is weak. More protection should be provided from factory. This car has been babied and only has 22K miles.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
this same problem was common in the Mustang community. Props to Dave for the fix

Literally remove the upper grille....make cardboard cut out then cut out shape in stainless steel mesh & you have to "3D" bend it to get it around the external air temp sensor...& edge with car door trim rubber.....then drop in & cable tie to radar sensor bracket (behind)..

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Bringing this thread back to life after a couple years.

When the VW dealer replaced the condenser, they claim to have purged and refilled with the right volume of R1234YF. My insurance covered the $2200 job.

Since I got my car back the AC has been pretty weak. Airflow is fine but the AC temp is nowhere as cool as it used to be. Only an issue when the temp is over 80.

I've brought it up at oil changes but it's never been hot enough outside to truly demonstrate an issue. Meanwhile it's 95 in NY and the system cannot keep up.

Any thoughts on bringing the AC back to life? Should I ask the dealer to recover and refill? Anything else that they should look for? And is the dealer the right place to go?

I'm currently at 38K miles (purchased new October 2018), so under warranty through October 2024.

Thanks,

Mike

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT

When the VW dealer replaced the condenser, they claim to have purged and refilled with the right volume of R1234YF. My insurance covered the $2200 job.

Since I got my car back the AC has been pretty weak. Airflow is fine but the AC temp is nowhere as cool as it used to be. Only an issue when the temp is over 80.

I've brought it up at oil changes but it's never been hot enough outside to truly demonstrate an issue. Meanwhile it's 95 in NY and the system cannot keep up.

Any thoughts on bringing the AC back to life? Should I ask the dealer to recover and refill? Anything else that they should look for? And is the dealer the right place to go?

I'm currently at 38K miles (purchased new October 2018), so under warranty through October 2024.

Thanks,

Mike
Group ride to the dealer? My 2019's AC is weak sauce this summer too.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

Thanks,

Mike

Stick a probe type thermometer in the dash vent, get a reading. That will give you some actual numbers to go by. It should get down to about 50°F from the vent, but if not you'll at least have an argument point.