GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do it all Sportwagen - street/hoon/track/drag you name it....this is the way...

tigeo

Autocross Champion

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
For you 4motion guys. Get some rear subframe inserts! I wouldn't bother paying a premium for 034s. Just get the CTS versions. You're welcome.

Dang it I just put the car into storage for the winter. I thought I'd be able to put off ordering parts for springtime for at least another couple months!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Dang it I just put the car into storage for the winter. I thought I'd be able to put off ordering parts for springtime for at least another couple months!

CTS just posted that their black friday sales are starting next week.. Just sayin..

But definitely do it. You can't lose for 99 bucks.. or less.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Deleted.

Last edited:

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
This is awesome data tigeo! Thank you for putting it together!

Your 0-60 graph did confuse me at first with descending time in the +X direction!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is awesome data tigeo! Thank you for putting it together!

Your 0-60 graph did confuse me at first with descending time in the +X direction!
Glad someone looked at it closely but yes, I played with them to just have them be descending for lower time = good if that makes sense. I see you have E25 listed, is your tune the standard Stage 2+ Uni IS38 tune and you just run E25?

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Glad someone looked at it closely but yes, I played with them to just have them be descending for lower time = good if that makes sense. I see you have E25 listed, is your tune the standard Stage 2+ Uni IS38 tune and you just run E25?
Yes as of now I have the standard S2+ IS38. I was regularly using E25 when I had a jb4 stack, but I believe the jb4 was causing issues, so I removed it late last year. The car has been in storage since November, but I am looking forward to using the new logging feature of the uniconnect cable to see what effect the E blend has on the off-the-shelf Unitronic tune.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
IS20 vs. IS38 data overload post! I've done a bunch of comparison work over the last year and here's how they stack up.

The graphs are plots of all the runs I've done with trendlines vs. temp - all of this is v. sensitive to ambient temps (DA/density altitude) so it's important to look at these data in this way. Taking the difference between the lines at any given DA should show you the difference between the turbos for the various metrics. Blue are IS20 data, orange are IS38.

I estimated HP using a scale weight for my car and 1/4 trap speed and plugging these into one of several online calculators. I weighed it at full/daily driving weight including me (3,620 lbs) as well as in a reduced weight format so I could accurately do this depending on my configuration (3,400 pounds). I used 15% for driveline loss for the WHP numbers. This is v. close to what Unitronic's dyno numbers show and seems reasonable. Here is the formula I used: weight * ((trap speed/234)^3), this should be HP at the engine, then you have to factor drivetrain loss so I used -12% for awd as it's not fulltime.

Finally, in the tables, it is important to understand that I have many more IS20 runs vs. the 38 and more of the IS20 runs were at colder temps (more negative DA) and lower on weight ("WR" = weight reduction). With more IS38 runs, I believe these numbers will move apart a bit more. This is why I hypothesize that the trend lines for the 1/4 data in the graphs seem to be converging as the DAs drop and that as I add more and more IS38 runs they will get more parallel and settle in at a fixed difference. Since I run an larger aftermarket IC now and didn't on the IS20 it's likely that this is partly why you see this trend (getting slower at higher rate as temps rise vs. the IS38 w/IC). It is interesting to note that the trend lines for the 0-60 data are parallel and this is likely caused by the fact that over such a short run the IC doesn't have time to heatsoak and is thus not a factor in your times. On the 1/4 mile pulls based on logging I've done, the IATs start to rise more drastically vs. the aftermarket IC once you are into your run with the stock IC.

The PR (personal record) table shows my best runs from each to-date. Both of these are at a lower weight, running an ethanol blend, and when it was below 30 deg out so should be comparable.

All my data with just a few exceptions have been collected on the same stretch of road.

Conclusion: moving from the IS20 to IS38 with Unitronic nets you (on an average daily basis blah blah blah disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer):

~40 more HP
~0.25 seconds lower in your 0-60
~4 mph gain 1/4 trap speed
~0.30 seconds lower 1/4 time

View attachment 199769View attachment 199771View attachment 199772View attachment 199773

0-60 data:
View attachment 199776

1/4 mile data:
View attachment 199777
PR data:
View attachment 199778

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes as of now I have the standard S2+ IS38. I was regularly using E25 when I had a jb4 stack, but I believe the jb4 was causing issues, so I removed it late last year. The car has been in storage since November, but I am looking forward to using the new logging feature of the uniconnect cable to see what effect the E blend has on the off-the-shelf Unitronic tune.
Ok cool. I run E25 and have done the logging on it. I have also used my Uniconnect+ cable for logging using their beta program, it works great actually but you can't that I can see export it for your own use/datazap. Need to check with them on that - it has to save a file somewhere that is uploaded. WAY better than OBDEleven which is a total PITA to log with plus is too coarse w/r to the collection interval...you miss so much with it. Basically, when I run some ethanol, I will see ~6 more degrees of timing advance...that's a lot and makes a difference.

Last edited:

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Ok cool. I run E25 and have done the logging on it. I have also used my Uniconnect+ cable for logging using their beta program, it works great actually but you can't that I can see export it for your own use/datazap. Need to check with them on that - it has to save a file somewhere that is uploaded. WAY better than OBDEleven which is a total PITA to log with plus is too coarse w/r to the collection interval...you miss so much with it. Basically, when I run some ethanol, I will see ~6 more degrees of timing advance...that's a lot and makes a difference. I have data to show what it did on the IS20 in terms of 1/4 mile ET/trap.
Yeah for sure there's got to be a way to get the raw data. I was logging with my jb4 which is miles better than VCDS I tried logging with. But even on pass-thru Map 0 on the Jb4 I was having issues. Uninstalled the JB4 just to eliminate a source of potential problems. Which stinks because logging was so good! and Jb4 was good before I had Unitronic. I'm already itching to get the car hooked back up for logging in the spring.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
For you 4motion guys. Get some rear subframe inserts! I wouldn't bother paying a premium for 034s. Just get the CTS versions. You're welcome.

What are rear subframe inserts? are they suspension bushings, or are you talking about the rear subrame harmonic damper?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What are rear subframe inserts? are they suspension bushings, or are you talking about the rear subrame harmonic damper?
They are metal inserts that go in to the bushings of the rear subframe of a 4mo car. Google it up and look at the install sheet. It's very apparent there.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah for sure there's got to be a way to get the raw data. I was logging with my jb4 which is miles better than VCDS I tried logging with. But even on pass-thru Map 0 on the Jb4 I was having issues. Uninstalled the JB4 just to eliminate a source of potential problems. Which stinks because logging was so good! and Jb4 was good before I had Unitronic. I'm already itching to get the car hooked back up for logging in the spring.
What issues were you having with the JB4/stack? I keep hearing I should do this but I love the set-and-forget tune even if it isn't maximizing power with a few more pounds of boost.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
What issues were you having with the JB4/stack? I keep hearing I should do this but I love the set-and-forget tune even if it isn't maximizing power with a few more pounds of boost.
A few things were happening:
On full throttle pulls in 3rd gear I intermittently got some bad knocking at 5000+ rpm. I'm still not convinced this is sorted out, but I don't have a great way to log, until the Uniconnect logging started.
My brother had a similar car with APR/JB4 stack. His boost values were much more consistent over the course of months of logs, but mine with the Uni tune would not produce consistent boost curves. I understand environmental factors played into this. He ran a 11.99 1/4 on his APR/JB4 tune, so the potential is there. He also only owned the car for 18k miles where I plan on owning for many years.

My idle was kinda garbagey with the JB4. Stumbles mostly. This went away when I uninstalled the JB4. Even happened on Map 0.

I finally came to the conclusion that I don't need to go beyond the Unitronic tune. The car is fast enough, and after I started chasing fractions of a second in the 1/4 mile it was not any more enjoyable to drive. I am at a point where set it and forget it is just what I need.

I do want to say that the Jb4 was a great product when I was on a stock ECU tune and IS20. Things just got less than desirable after I stacked. Different experience than APR/JB4 stack for sure.